Anyone collect foreign language cards outside of English and Japanese?

I collect all 14 TCG languages. I have a few main collections, like:

• Seviper - all languages and variations, including non-TCG products (my favorite Pokémon)
  • Pikachu - all languages and variations up to February 27th, 2021 (it was too expensive to continue). I’m currently missing just ten Pikachu cards to have catched 'em all, though (and already have close to 1750 unique Pikachu TCG cards).
  • FA Supporter & Character Rares - only in English, including Japanese exclusive artworks (I primarily collect just English, so I can read the names, even though the holofoil of the Japanese are a lot prettier on textured full art cards)
  • Moltres #21 WotC promo & Swablu BREAKthrough 124/162 - all languages and variations; and for Moltres including sealed/graded variations (these are my favorite two artworks in the TCG)

And I have some more smaller collections, like the sixtet of Ancient Mew in PSA-10.

Oh, and let’s not forget: (one of) the first officially released card in each of the 14 TCG languages. :slight_smile:

Collecting all languages instead of just English/Japanese brings it’s own challenges, but also joys. It’s harder to find cards in languages that are far from where you live. I’m personally from The Netherlands (Europe), so some languages I had trouble with were Korean cards (from South Korea); Portuguese cards (from Brazil); and Russian cards. And had the Chinese, Thai, and Indonesian languages have been released a few years earlier, it probably would have been more difficult to find a middleman as well, when Pokémon was less popular.

I also like that with just 14 languages, there are also a lot of cards exclusively released in certain countries. Like French cards that were only released in the French-speaking part of Canada or Belgium instead of France; or Spanish cards exclusively released in Argentina, Mexico, Chile, and/or Peru; English cards exclusively released in the UK, Australia, or even Sweden; etc. It’s fun tracking them down.
It’s also very satisfying to have a language 100% complete for your collection. Like a mini goal within your larger goal. :slight_smile: Overall I haven’t regret collecting all languages at all since I’ve came back collecting (although my bank account might disagree with that, haha :sweat_smile: ).

Greetz,
Quuador

8 Likes