Am I the only one who has been mistakenly calling Whismur - WhiMsur?

Am I the only one? I got a new WhiSmur card today and realized it’s not WhiMsur.

What do you think are the hardest or strangest Pokémon names to spell or pronounce?

3 Likes

No I do this all the time! I didn’t know it was wrong until playing pokemon go and realizing its whiSmur.

But I am not the best source, I’m notoriously bad at pronouncing Pokemon names. :sweat_smile:

I’ve always called it Whismur, but I have heard conflicting reports on Regice…
I’ve always called it “Redge-ee-Ice”, akin to Regirock and Registeel, but I’ve heard “Redge-ice” too

1 Like

I say “wish - murr”

I pronounced Arceus as Ar-see-us for years until playing PLA. What gave it away for me was the Arc-Phone which obviously should NOT be pronounced Arse-Phone :joy:

3 Likes

It’s Ar-see-us. As pronounced by Dr. Gregory House here.

5 Likes

I sometimes alternate how I pronounce Dialga. “Dee-all-guh”, “Die-owl-guh”.

2 Likes

With over 800 Pokemon there’s bound to be some mistakes somewhere!

Apparently Dewpider is not pronounced Dew-pider (as in spider) but Dew-pidder. Wack.

1 Like

I definitely say whims-mur and have no idea why

1 Like

Boys go to Jupiter to get more Dewpider

4 Likes

Gone are the days where we could go to PkMn Stadium to hear the announcer settle the debate…

3 Likes

Oh, this one I didn’t know. And weird it isn’t pronounced as ‘spider’ with ‘s’ replaced with ‘dew’. :confused: Where does the additional ‘p’ in the pronunciation come from. :thinking:

From the first 151 Pokémon, (I think) I only pronounce Exeggcutor wrong all the time, since I pronounce it with additional ‘c’ from Exeggcute: ‘Exeg-kju-tor’ instead of ‘Exeg-u-tor’.

As for Whismur, I’ve always pronounced it as ‘wish-mur’.

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

The one that got me for forever was Shedinja

I always pronounced it Shed-Ninja, because you know, it’s a ninja shedding cicada!

it’s actually Shed-inja

:open_mouth:

3 Likes

The only Pokémon I struggle with is Reuniclus.

For ten years I thought it was “Reniculus”, Re-nick-you-luss.

When I saw the correct spelling after all those years tried to get it right, I thought it was “Reinculus”, Rain-cue-luss.

It’s neither of those and my brain hates it.

1 Like

This is the first time I’ve realized that it’s NOT Whimsur…

I think the intention is to sound like “Whisper” :slight_smile: since it is a sound-based mon after all

3 Likes

Oh, this indeed makes a lot of sense. It’s more subtle than Loudred and Exploud, so hadn’t realized it, but you’re defintely right!

Greetz,
Quuador

3 Likes

:exploding_head:

Or maybe it’s “whimper” and that’s why everyone gets it wrong :slight_smile:

3 Likes

:thonk: :headspin:

2 Likes