After sale depression.. Chansey, noo

Well, I had to sell my Chansey Sample as my car got into a wreck and I had no choice. I did everything I could to NOT part with it. I still have my ghastly and Matchprint Charmeleon. And luckily it wasn’t the centerpiece of my collection but it was one that I was very tied to.

I know this happens to all of us. Anyone care to share stories similar? I’d love to hear them so I don’t feel so stupid! Thanks friends and goodbye Chansey.

28 Likes

You did what you had to do to keep going. Focus on building back up. I know it stinks now but you can always get it back. Your safety is the most important thing. Can always get a card back

7 Likes

as long as it was only your car that was hurt in the wreck, that’s a massive W. and now you have a collection goal to work towards.

6 Likes

A while ago I had to sell several (and I do mean several) booster boxes worth of prime, untouched 1st ed english vintage bulk to pay for some essential upgrades around here. It was simultaneously an easy and very hard decision to make, and I’m completely aware of the fact that some day it’ll come back to haunt me.

3 Likes

Really sorry to hear that you were in an accident and had to sell your Chansey. All around, that’s an awful situation to be in. I’m glad to hear that you are healthy/safe.

You may be able to find that Chansey or a similar copy in the future. Fingers crossed!

1 Like

Echoing the sentiment that I’m glad it was car bills and not hospital bills!

6 Likes

You aren’t stupid. You did what you had to do. The important thing is you’re OK.

2 Likes

Crazy. I think I just saw it posted on reddit. Sorry to hear it wasnt enthusiastically sold but hopefully it was enough to make it hurt less. I always try to frame it not as a loss but that it was something that allowed you to move forward the way you needed to in your time of need.

7 Likes

Could just be a coincidence

1 Like

I made the decision to go back to school 2 years ago and finish my bachelor’s degree. It was something that I never thought I would actually accomplish, but I did it and it was so incredibly fulfilling. I sold a small part of my collection to help fund it. My biggest “loss” was my Gem Mint Plasma Gale Charizard. Still miss it, but it was well worth it.

I know it wasn’t a back to wall kind of situation, but I thought I’d share that.

13 Likes

F for the feelings but great you had an asset that could help you when you really needed it.
I hope you can see the silver lining and some day another comes your way for sale.

1 Like

I had to cut back severely on pokemon this year, including my own personal collection. I recently parted with my staff/competitor placement worlds collection due to rise of living costs. This was something that I don’t think I will be able to acquire ever again :pensive:

7 Likes

Thank you everyone for your wisdom and support! He’s not really a Pokémon collector, just a flipper and as he told me he was going to, has listed it on eBay. I told him I’d buy it back from him if I could later but at that price, that’s going to go quick I think. Someone from E4, if you’ve been looking for Sample Chansey, now’s your chance. @Charizard1020, weren’t you?PSA 10 GEM MINT Chansey 048/093 Sample E Reader (Japanese Back) Pokemon Card | eBay

4 Likes

Thank you for sharing. Totally applicable and great to learn more about people’s stories.

1 Like

That’s the one! Haha can you tell he’s not a collector?

1 Like

Who the hells buys an e-reader sample Chansey as a flip without even really knowing what it is?!? Niche of the niche

10 Likes

Yeah, having no idea about it while also asking what its worth is a bit of an odd one for such a niche card thats graded nicely. Its a shame that it didnt go to a collector but it also means that theres more of a chance it does in the future. I doubt it would have been shared right now if it didnt change hands.

1 Like

Haha I know! It was certainly an odd sale. He offered me more in the past too but I was screwed but recent comps.

I’ve noticed a trend in modern flippers that are inundated with the same mass produced cards just washing cash over and over. Once in a while, they come across a vintage scarce niche with good fundamentals and they feel good owning something that is actually collectible and unique. They experience what we all experience. Until they sell it and repeat with modern. It’s like a break from their fast paced flip lifestyle.

3 Likes

Congrats on going back to school. I did the same four years ago at 27. I agree it’s probably the hardest thing I ever did but also the most fulfilling.

3 Likes

I was thinking about it for sure. It’s on the list but just a few others are before it