A short story about kids, cards, and sentimentality

Today I got some texts from my friend’s 11 year old son.

I’ve known this kid since he was a year old, he’s basically my nephew, blah blah blah. Over the last maybe 4 or 5 years he’s collected Pokemon cards on and off, as kids do. Since he knows I’m really into them we’ve gone through his cards in the past, figuring out which were more valuable than others, picking out favorites, etc. Of course he’s just had newer packs so no cards really blowing your mind but still some decent full arts, megas, exes, gxes, japanese promo holos, secret rares, etc.

In his texts he tells me he’s reorganizing and repainting his room, and in the process of cleaning everything up he’s gotten rid of his pokemon cards. First, I’m a little selfishly bummed because dammit I’d take them! Hell, many of them are cards I bought for him over the years. Second, he could’ve at least sold them-- anywhere — and even if he only got $10, that’s $10 more than he has as an 11 year old.

However, my heart melted when he followed up to say he got rid of them all, EXCEPT the shiny Drifloon (SH1 Stormfront reverse holo) I gave him a few years ago. He knows it’s my all time favorite card and it’s very special to me…so, it’s become special to him. It’s worth maybe $10 on a good day but he kept it because he knows its “our” thing. :sob:

Kids, man.

23 Likes

Random as hell i know lol but jyst was looking at threads of this card and thought this was cute one of my all time favorite cards aswell

3 Likes

My son has been on and off with pokemon he isnt really big into it. That being said i know he has a stash of all the random cards ive given and he even put them in the top loaders. He thinks they are hidden and im gonna keep it that way but its the little things dude. I always think hes sick of me but that proves the little turd loves me lol

3 Likes

Don’t know if this falls in line with the topic but this was about 20 years ago. I had a binder full of Pokémon cards, including a holographic Charizard, base set. I had an idea to register at this little event to sell all my cards, of course it costs to sell at the event & my mom paid for it, it’s the little things, or big things anyway, it matters.

The bad news is I only sold one card, the holographic Charizard, & even worse… I accepted $100 for it. Back then that guy knew something I didn’t. Son of a bitch.

1 Like

How have I known @queendrifloon for 6 years :melting_face:

1 Like

Tori is rad as hell

2 Likes

Because since covid happened time has lost all meaning :pray: 2019 was a month ago right?

10 Likes

Even worse than giving them away or selling it for peanuts is just throwing them away. I would’ve thought even kids would be smart enough not to do that.

True! I gave my cards (except for my three favorites that I still have) to a friend of mine. Really wish I still have them but makes me feel better that I didn’t throw them away.

I should of known i know her on ig lol … sorry a little late