Nostalgia in a different form

I first started collecting Pokémon in 1999 when I was 13. Those of us that remember that time can attest to just how intrinsic it was to our daily lives.

Well now I’m 32 and I have two kids of my own in elementary school. This week their teacher sent all of the parents this message:

It’s happening again!

I just thought it was a nice little bit of nostalgia in a different form to share with you guys.

Have a great day everyone!

13 Likes

Maybe school is distracting from learning important business skills.

11 Likes

That’s actually awesome, I have a nephew that is 5 and is very interested in Pokemon and Pokemon cards. He told me all of his friends buy cards too. I also have a 9 year old cousin who says the same.

3 Likes

I remember in Middle School when they were banned during Finals. In High School, I once missed my cue to go out on stage during a play’s performance (I was Mr. Fezziwig in the Christmas Carol) because I was in the middle of a long match of Yugioh with a friend. Because of me, all playing cards were banned from Drama Club. Womp womp!

4 Likes

Yeah it’s been pretty fun going through my bulk Holos and ex/gxs, and explain to my girls how to make fair trades with their friends and how to take card condition into account. They do chores around the house to earn some of the cards I have for them to then go trade for specific cards their friends have and they want. It’s pretty fun for me and I find it to be a great way to teach them lessons in work ethic, compensation for work performed up to a standard, fair trade amongst each other, and collection goals. It also helps them to plan ahead to achieve their personal goals when they know I have a card that their friends want. They find that out when hanging out with their friends, come home and ask me what chores they would need to do for that card, do the chores well enough (no cutting corners), earn the card, take it with them the next day and trade it for the one they originally wanted.

It’s my fun way to teach them how their work ethic creates the ability to achieve their goals. Not just giving them stuff (though I do that on occasion. That’s a bonus!)

Of course all of that means that the teacher probably would hate me if she knew I was fueling the fire so much…

11 Likes

My friends who teach say the same thing. One teacher was like, “all my students talk about are their ex’s”, pronouncing it like ex girlfriend. I tipped my fedora and was like, “it’s actually pronounced E-X”.

19 Likes

My girlfriend gets annoyed when I talk about my EXs. Gardevoir is just a friend to me now–I swear!

6 Likes

At least they were talking about how they Lv.'d their X.s like previous gens. Lol

1 Like

Kudos to that teacher for getting the é correct in her spelling of pokémon

1 Like

Probably auto correct :blush:

1 Like

Pokemon cards were banned at my school back in the day so it’s nice to see that happening again :blush: (ofc for the kids it’s not nice the cards get banned but you probably get what I’m trying to say). It just means Pokemon is very high at it’s popularity again and I think we have widest range of people with different ages liking it than ever before

1 Like

I’m not sure. Chrome’s built-in spell checker doesn’t flag “Pokemon” as a typo because of the capital ‘P’. “pokemon” on the other hand has no correction matches and only has an option to search Google for it; likewise my phone tries to correct it to “Pike man”. Brand names don’t usually feature in spell checking software unless the company has paid to have it added.

1 Like

I had to check for myself and can confirm that my android phone does not autocorrect it.

I remember getting caught by my mom for having cards in my backpack. I was like 7 and lied about it and my dad backed me up lol I used to bring all of the cards I had multiples of to school and try to trade everyone for the cards I didn’t have.

Now I’m 25 and my 7 year old loves pokemon. We are actually watching the indigo league on netflix as I’m typing this. He has a binder full of cards he likes and I always let him pick cards out of my bulk stuff. My 1 year old has loved the pokerap since she was like 6 months old. Anytime we are watching pokemon and the pokerap comes on she will stop whatever she’s doing and watch it without breaking concentration until it’s completely over.

5 Likes