A friendly place for species collectors

Just Zapdos. Galarian Zapdos is cool, and I’d be happy to throw it in with my ‘vanilla’ Zapdos cards if I ever pulled any/felt like a bit of a change, but ol’ yellow is my main target.

2 Likes

Didn’t even realize your pfp is a real card. What an insane artwork. I wonder if that Greninja card counts for the Charizard master set :blush:
One of the things I like about Greninja is that its default and shiny sprite colors are both very well done.

3 Likes

Amazing thread! And great posts thus far. :grin:

As most of you probably know, I have two species collections: Pikachu and Seviper, both of them in all languages. (Although I’ve limited my Pikachu collection to February 27th, 2021 - the 25th Pokémon Day - and have only continued collecting a limited set of cards after this date. It was too expensive to continue.)

For my Pikachu collection, I’m missing just 10 officially released cards from before February 27th, 2021 (I do have the other 1423 :sunglasses: ), as well as a bunch of unofficial cards I deem nice-to-haves (misprints; Sample cards; autographed cards; unofficial stamped cards; etc.). At time of writing I own roughly 1700 different Pikachu TCG cards, and own a.f.a.i.k. the second largest Pikachu TCG collection worldwide.
As for my Seviper TCG collection: it’s 100% complete, including all TCG cameos. :grin: I’m currently working on a Seviper non-TCG collection since about a year ago.

As for your questions:

Grails - acquired:
Pikachu: Hard to state just one card here, but probably the Matchprint Pikachu. It’s an unofficial Sample card, but since there are only two existing copies, I’m very happy to own one of those two.
Seviper: Without a doubt the unlimited edition Japanese World Champions Pack Seviper. It was the last card I added to my collection to complete it (minus some recent releases), and in the ~4 years I was collecting Seviper I had never even seen a picture of it (I’ve seen it three times in total now).

Grails - wanted:
Pikachu: One I’ll never be able to get, but the SNAP Photo Contest Pikachu. One recently sold for ~350,000 USD… :sweat: A more realistic grail perhaps is Ashley’s English Kabuki Art Academy Pikachu, the only English Pikachu card I’m missing.
Seviper: Since the TCG portion of my Seviper collection is complete, my current wanted grail(s) are the four missing Metal Collection Seviper colors (gen 3 is very rare for the Metal Collection series unfortunately). These, alongside one Chinese figure, are the last Seviper figures I’m missing (that I’m aware of).

Wishlist releases:
Pikachu: Not sure. Pikachu is pretty loaded with artworks tbh.
Seviper: A full art Character Rare with Lucy.

When was the last time a card of your Pokémon was released?
Pikachu: Probably an hour ago. :unamused: There is a reason why I stopped collecting modern Pikachu releases since February 27th, 2021. To give you an idea of how bad it was: in 2019 alone a total of TWO HUNDRED AND THIRTY-THREE Pikachu TCG cards have been released across the at the time 11 active languages.
But to give a more serious answer: apart from the missing cards from before this date, I’ve remained collecting three different type of Pikachu cards released after this date: 1) all English Pikachu cards and variations; 2) one of each non-English artwork (in 99% of the cases Japanese, although there are some Pikachu artworks released in neither English nor Japanese); 3) the Base Set artwork reprints in all languages (e.g. First Partner Jumbo and Celebrations full art). From those, the last released Pikachu card was February 25th, 2022 in the Brilliant Stars set.
Seviper: March 19th, 2021 in the Battle Styles set.

Greetz,
Quuador

10 Likes

Yeah, its my favorite art for a Greninja card. Dynamic and tells a story, absolutly love it. I don’t think it counts for the Charizard Master Set, otherwise there would be a lot more graded!

Just the Aquapolis holo Sudowoodo for me.

4 Likes

Jolteon collector here! Trying to get a PSA 9 of every Jolteon card (mostly English but maybe Japanese as well). I really only started a couple months ago but have made great progress (in other words, I need to take a break buying up cards for awhile, ha).

What is your current grail for your chosen pokemon/pokemon line collection?
Jolteon Gold Star

What cards are you wishlisting for your species?
I would love a Jolteon full art card with other eeveelutions like the Flareon EX full art from Generations.

When was the last time a card of your Pokémon was released?
Eeveelutions get a lot of love so all the time.

7 Likes

Another eeveelution collector here. We all know them, we all know how expensive they are.
I also collect kabutops cards tho.

Current grail: gold star umbreon and espeon

Want list: very small considering.
Both neo discovery kabutops cards in 1st edition
Umbreon neo discovery 1st edition holo
Gold star umbreon
Gold star espeon
Staff euro regional vaporeon

Currently hunting: staff vaporeon, i cant seem to locate a raw copy of this card sadly

Latest card: an eeveelution is released every English set at the moment
Last kabutops was team up sadly

Latest acquired: staff euro regional leafeon. Now that one was hard to find…

4 Likes

Some new goodies - a shikishi art salamence and vjump magazine promo salamence - my second as the first will probably get a psa 9.

Posting mainly to bump the thread, don’t be shy to post collection updates or ask others questions in here guys!

7 Likes

Salamence is one of my personal favorites, and is a great choice for a species to collect. It has so many good artworks.

It’s very much a side project for me, but I’m working on a Latias/Latios master set – basically trying to get gem mint (PSA 10 or CGC 9.5) copies of every holo and reverse holo Latias/Latios card released before 2008 (English unless Japanese-exclusive). Also trying to acquire sealed product that feature Latias and/or Latios. Here’s what I have so far:

Still have a long way to go. I need both of the Alto Mare’s ones from the VS deck as well as tons of different holos and reverse holos. It’s been a very passive project of mine, but it’s been fun.

15 Likes

I collect arcanine (also growlithe, but arcanine is the priority right now)! I just posted on the collections board, but I love seeing other species collectors. :blush:

**What is your current grail for your chosen pokemon/pokemon line collection (that you either have or don’t have yet)?**I think it depends. For me, personally, the Light Arcanine was/is my grail. It’s my favorite arcanine card, and I was STOKED when I first got it. The one I got (I have a 1st ed and an unlimited now, the first one I got was the unlimited) had a nice swirl on it, too, which was a nice bonus (shown here). ^^ However, pure value-wise, I think the grail for arcanine might be the Topps Chrome Tekno holo…? Raw, that is. A graded 10 of any of the older, popular cards (1st Ed Shadowless base set, reverse holo legendary collection, or maybe 1st Ed Light Arcanine) might be more valuable… but I don’t collect graded cards, so who knows. :stuck_out_tongue:

**What cards are you wishlisting for your species?**The Topps Chrome sparkle and Topps Chrome tekno versions of arcanine. They’re probably one of the hardest ones to find and most expensive. They’re also one of the last cards I need (including non-main TCG). I expect it to be awhile before I get them, not just for finding, but giving myself a mental kick to finally spend money on them. ^^;;

**When was the last time a card of your pokemon was released?**Fusion Strike, but there’s a full art hisuian arcanine card releasing in a few sets that I’m SO EXCITED FOR! I don’t think it’s in the next set, though there might be a hisuian arcanine normal rare in that?, but the set after I think…

3 Likes

I collect the funny magnets! My goals are getting Magnemite in every language and (normal) variation and for Magneton and Zone every English holo/reverse holo.
**What is your current grail for your chosen pokemon/pokemon line collection (that you either have or don’t have yet)?**For Magnemite specific cards, probably the Korean Base Unlimited. It was a theme deck card at least so marginally more common, but still pretty rare. For not specifically a Magnemite, two of the Illustration contest cards (Zorua and I think a Pichu) since both of them contain a Magnemite in the art.
**What cards are you wishlisting for your species?**For Magnezone specifically, an alt art. In general for the three, particularly Magnemite, neat art in general. A Komiya or Yuka Morii Magnemite would be neat, though Komiya did do a Magneton.

**When was the last time a card of your pokemon was released?**Since Astral Radiance isn’t out here yet, in 2019 via Cosmic Eclipse. In all seriousness, I’m excited for the upcoming magnets, including the Magnezone V/STAR in the set after.

4 Likes

I’m trying to collect every Umbreon art (TCG only) and also complete/stay up to date with the English Umbreon master set (Japanese Play Umbreon makes that set very difficult :cry:)

• Current Grail - Probably either my 1st Ed Neo Umbreon or my Gold Star Umbreon
  • Wishlist - Either a signed Umbreon or the Umbreon STAFF
  • Last time a card for Umbreon was released - I’m going to say that the most recent release was within the Play Series Prize Packs where they have reprinted the Umbreon V and Vmax that we originally saw in Evolving Skies/Eevee Heroes.
6 Likes

I see this thread was active when i had little time to visit E4 but joining here now, as many of you have probably noticed and some may have seen my collection thread, i’m a grimer/muk collector! Also nice to see how many of people who posted in this thread have gotten new releases of their favourite pokemon during these 8 months :slight_smile:

• Current Grail - i’ve said and posted it already a thousand times and i fear some people may be starting to hate me for doing it but that damn topps chrome sparkle muk! I have everything else my heart truly desires but that card (outside the graded gem mint ones) just doesn’t surface. One could say cosmos holo fossil version of muk is a grail too but i’ll leave that one out since it’s not an official release
  • Wishlist - a special / alt art or shiny of either of my boys! I was lucky to get an alt art of muk & alolan muk during s&m era but tbh many alt arts during that era are quite underwhelming compared to more recent ones, so would love to get something special and nice in today’s standards!
  • Last time a card for new card was released - already released are from brilliant stars but actually just today new cards of grimer and muk were announced in first sets of gen 9 which makes me super excited! It has only been around a year after previous new cards so definitely didn’t expect to get new ones this soon!

6 Likes

I have pokemon topps chrome as a saved search and I’m always hoping to see a sparkle muk. At this point I would gladly contribute to a GoFundMe to buy you one of the PSA 10s.

I collect Porygon (and loosely porygon2 and porygon-z)

• Current Grail - Definitely the prototype porygon shown in this post 赤羽 卓美 on Instagram: "ポケモン26年にちなんで発掘^_^ おそらく、唯一無二のセット!" . Also my fav english holo is the HGSS blister promo so maybe an uncut sheet of that. Porygon-Z LV.X or the prerelease staff cards in a PSA 10, only a handful across the population.

• Wishlist - any full art / trainer gallery / character rare / whatever they’re called. The only full arts are two Porygon-Z cards and they’re both meh.

• Last time a card for new card was released - Lost Origin! I have a monopoly on the PSA 10s since I’m the only one submitting them:

4 Likes

It’s not a robust collection, but in my general illustrator collection I include every gastly and porygon card as they are released.
I included a few proxies of illus that aren’t cards, and a few out of my collecting budget.

4 Likes

I’m glad to hear at least some people think this way :smiley: and really appreciate your kind way of thinking and saved search :slight_smile: also would love to see your porygon collection as a collection thread!

2 Likes

I find this thread awesome! As a non-species collector, I admire the dedication species collectors have. It takes a lot of commitment to be able to track down all possible cards, adding to the complexity of multiple languages is even more insane. This thread itself is a great resource to learn from and find out what some of the grail cards are for so many people. Wishing everyone good hunting to be able to find what you need.

Thanks and cheers!

Always fun seeing the focus of other collectors, especially fellow species collectors :smiley:
I’m focused on collecting every ralts card in every language and variation (and the rest of the ralts line :') mostly grabbing all english and japanese variations at the moments, while picking up other languages as I go.
that said im also deep into non-tcg/merch ralts line stuff, especially sticker/sets and mugs :woozy_face:

Current grail:
----Obtained: just got the topps die cut 2003 ralts card (been looking for it for a few years and it DOES not dissapoint!) And im in the process of getting the korean adv era ralts :eyes:
----Goals: i think my current grail im looking for would probably be either (non-tcg card) any of the 3d battlegum tops ralts cards, or a russian card of any of the ralts line.

Wishlist: besides the new ralts card that got announced ? (So happy about that ahhhhhhh) - I’d love to see more cameos with ralts. Idk makes collecting a pain but i find cameos both fun and fascinating!

Latest release: silver tempest ayy. And technically announced for the new set :sunglasses:

One of these day I have to start a thread for my collection, been meaning for a while and seeing everyone else’s is so nice.

3 Likes

How do you do fellow species collectors! I have been collecting Lapras cards for about 5 years now, and will continue to do so for a very long time :slight_smile: My goal is simple: to collect as many Lapras cards as I possibly can!
My focus has been mainly on PSA 10s and at least 1 binder copy of every English release as well as any Japanese cards and variants that do not exist in English. Finally, I will hoard Lapras ex cards in both English and Japanese until I can no longer fit them in my house. Unfortunately I don’t have much disposable income at the moment so that might take a while.
I currently have 1 English PSA 10, 4 PSA 9s, 3 PSA 8s, 39 binder copies and 2 more to grade. For Japanese I have 1 PSA 10 and 24 binder copies.

• Current Grails - Absolute grail would be a PSA 10 (or any decent condition copy) cosmos Lapras holo, which I will very likely never obtain. Other grails include the fossil 1st ed (and unlimited) holo PSA 10, Topps Chrome Sparkle and Tekno PSA 10 (or any decent condition copy), and the HGSS prize card PSA 10
  • Wishlist - A Dark Lapras card… It’s never gonna happen, but a man can dream
  • Last time a card for new card was released - VSTAR Universe/Crown Zenith. Amazing card, and I will be hoarding a bunch of them for a while

Here’s a few pictures of the PSA 10s I have acquired, and a bonus picture of all my current graded Lapras ex cards. Apologies for the dark photos, I unfortunately do not have good lighting to work with

10 Likes

Not a great photo but ended the year with 21 psa 10 salamences. Im not working right now but fingers crossed i get a new job soon to add to the collection

10 Likes