70-10-10-10 rule

EA not CPA. CPA are master degree. Enrolled Agent is bachelors degree level. I can do everything a CPA can just if I went to go work for the IRS they would starting pay me less then a CPA

My goal isn’t to be the most controversial person on the forums I promise. I am just giving my POV on here and give tips and advice for the middle class collector and hobbyist. I promise I am not qualified to give big name guys on here advice. However, I did see a person post from a few years ago about taking a long with interest to buy pokmeon. If your doing that your being insane even if you came up ahead on that dead its gambling not investing. I write my thoughts and opinions from the middle class individual.

2 Likes

I follow the 50-50 rule

50% rent payments
50% cards

47 Likes

50% cards

Only modern sealed ETB for maximum stonk

2 Likes

:exploding_head:

9 Likes

This thread is going to turn into one big meme.

6 Likes

Beat me to it :joy:

the answer is 42

5 Likes

“mom, can we have r/Pokeinvesting at home?”

“we have r/Pokeinvesting at home.”

r/Pokeinvesting at home:

14 Likes

Wasn’t my intention. If I didn’t love the hobby and collecting I wouldn’t be consuming as much content as I do. Go to collect a con every year for my bday, and be as active as I am on the e4 forums. This is just a middle class person pov.

True. This is the most r/Pokeinvesting thread that I’ve seen in a while.

I don’t believe in financial advisors or “set rules”, but I’m contrarian. I think spending up to 30% of your income on your housing is insanely high, and it should be lower depending on your age and location. Likewise, I think people view food as a “line item” that should be cheap, when in reality, lower cost food, typically comes with hidden costs like poor vitality and healthcare. Many will suggest having 2-6 months worth of expenses in cash however if 2008 or 2020 hits again or a hurricane destroys your house and insurance won’t cover it because they consider it an “act of god”, the financial advice you received gets you nowhere.

Our world tells us to have an “answer” for everything, however the world is more complex. Individuals need to access their own risk appetite, growth trajectory, and situation to evaluate what they’re willing to sacrifice, to meet their goals. I think most live beyond their means, and are 100% reliant on a supply chain that’s bound to have an Ever Given cargo ship block the Suez canal for 106 days, at a cost of $10 billion per day, and prevent the delivery of (insert lifesaving item).

2 Likes

I feel like addiction to hobbies is more than just about spending money. If your hobby consumes the majority of your time at work, school, life, etc. and negatively effects your performance or quality of life, spending wouldn’t be the main problem at that point.

How is this investing in pokemon advice? This fun money hobby. My collection to zero tomorrow and still be loving the hobby. My advice is have money in other outlets and be financially responsible so if you do blow money pokemon it’s not going to hurt you. If you go to a bar downtown and spend 100 bucks on the weekends that fun money not savings or spend it on the hobby you enjoy.

If 70% of your income is going to bills - Id say youre living out of your means.

1. Increase Income
  2. Reduce Spending

I think 20% savings is good

& 10% is great for ‘fun’ but that would include everything from starbucks to going out on date night. If you are going to utilize all your fun money on Pokémon where is the fun money coming from when you want to do something with your significant other?

I enjoy your posts & perspective, I think you have a solid head on your shoulders. I do think you’re enabling your addiction by setting the budget. With the assumption that youre going to spend the full $300 each month regardless of enjoyment but just out of habit/routine.

If you bought 2 booster boxes on release x4 sets at ~120$ thats $960/yr or $80/monthly & 288 packs giving you 1 pack a day excluding weekends

Now $220 a month left can be rolled into Pokemon events etc (saw some posts on IG) because thats additional hobby cost not related to events.

To sum it up I think you can manage what Id say is a large expense; just also dont spend it because you want to buy cards that you will throw in a binder or box and forget about it.

Again All Love,
Odds

2 Likes

I think it is OK to love and engage with your hobby. Just recognize how it comes across to others when you make several threads about collecting addiction and then a new thread justifying your spending behavior.

You’re also speaking to the choir here. Most collectors on e4 have been collecting for some time and know their personal financial goals/strategies. What you’ve written is a helpful starting point, but anyone seriously following this thread for nuggets of wisdom should seek the help of a licensed financial advisor.

14 Likes

:smiling_face_with_tear:

19 Likes

Good think my house is made out of cards, so basically 80% of mine and my wifes income can go to cards.

Thanks!

13 Likes

That was very funny.

First off, kudos to you for becoming an EA. You don’t need a masters degree to become a CPA. You do need 150 credit hours but i have plenty of friends who grinded that during undergrad to avoid paying for an extra year of school. Also as an EA, you specialize in tax while a CPA has a broader range of specialization which is why they will be paid more.

2 Likes