7 baseball cards found in run down house, worth $1,000,000

www.news.com.au/sport/sports-life/miraculous-discovery-unearths-centuryold-baseball-cards/news-story/c814c3ac9b06de03ffd668d3ac3b0109

9 Likes

Always great to hear news like this even if you werenā€™t interested of baseball cards.

1 Like

Was going to say it must be one of Garyā€™s wayward properties somewhere.

8 Likes

I bet finding those was an unparalleled emotional roller-coaster.

2 Likes

Lolā€¦I wish.
Iā€™m actually surprised I didnā€™t hear about this until now which only Scott understands why;)

I guess this shows you can never be totally safe as far as the population of your rare items. What if you bought one of the 15 there were last month for 250,000.00 only to have these show up which dropped the value to 150,000.00 lol.

1 Like

Whoever found these beasts should have only ā€˜foundā€™ one every 5 years. Would have made so much more.

5 Likes

You, my friend, are 100% right.

1 Like

Quite cool, labeled in the PSA case as ā€˜THE LUCKY 7 FINDā€™

4 Likes

I love so much that they put that. Connects them to some special history right on the case. So cool.

3 Likes

Saw this on the PSA website, still canā€™t believe people are finding 100+ year old cards. There was a similar find of cards form the same era a few years ago, but this one is ridiculous. It would be comparable to someone hoarding 7 japanese pikachu trophies.

5 Likes

Can you imagine the shitstorm in 80 years if someone found a bag of prerelease Raichus in similar fashion? Iā€™m getting sweaty just thinking about it.

5 Likes

I always wonder though if Pokemon will have the staying power. Baseball is a sport and is still around. Coinage is still used every day. So 100+ year old sports trading cards and coins are still around and can command insane prices, but will Pokemon cards really be able to do the same? Will the video games and TCG still be prevalent 80 years from now?

1 Like

who knows :blush: - Superman comics etc are old and theyā€™re still popular. Weā€™re already 1/4 there to 80 and no signs of slowing :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Ohhh I could use 1 of dem baseball cardlings for dollans right now xD

1 Like

I completely agree. i feel pokemon can still be a decent investment however it is extremely far from bullet proof like many people think. Iā€™ve seen collectable currency crash HARD in collections of people i know. Why? Couple of thoughts, the hobby wasnā€™t being taken up by enough younger people so you wound up with mostly old people having huge collections and wanting to sell and slow down the same time as everyone else.

Also our government changed some laws to do with superannuation and it put a lot of the main dealers in between a rock and a hard place. I donā€™t know the exact ins and outs but it essentially put a very short time limit on which they could sell their stuff. This forced them to take an absolute bath on their stuff which crashed the prices big time and it still hasnt and will likely never fully recover. People who were expecting to retire with 500-700k were looking at their collections maybe being worth 200k.

Pokemon is a very different story and I believe more protected as theyre pushing out new games and sets and stuff all the time which draws in new kids and collectors who can buy your stuff 15-20 years from now. However people forget that only a couple things need to change or go wrong to damage the market big time. Take australia for example. Middle of next year the import rort will come in and add x% on top of the 30% we already pay in different currency value when purchasing from the US. There will always be hardcore collectors who will continue collecting no matter the cost but it will discourage new collectors from becoming serious regular injectors into the market. I for example (along with others from other countries who have mentioned here), have spent significantly less over the last 18 months or so purely because at the end of the day, the cost of buying stuff from america is less valuable than other life needs and priorities at the moment.

Combine this with the boomer supremacy we have going on where necessities such as a place to live is getting more and more expensive all the time and you have people with less money to feed the market. ALSO many of the serious collectors now are the former kids of the 90ā€™s when pokemon first came in and wowed the globe. These people just getting jobs and money and deciding to pick up on their former hobby are a MINORITY. The very high majority of kids who collected cards have not returned, the reason that there seems to be a lot of is because there were sooooo many people into it at that time. If 1% of people return to feed the market then thatā€™s still a huge amount of people because of itā€™s popularity at that time.

Pokemon ate shit shortly after for a long time throughout the ex series and so on. These cards are valuable because we buy them. If only 1% of the kids who got into pokemon during that time return, the boost is investment and market activity is going to be nothing anywhere near close to what we have seen over the past 4-5 years, ESPECIALLY if some of the people from our era start deciding that going away for a week with their buddies or saving for a house to avoid being a lifelong renter or working part time and not paying the tax man to pay the supremacy or having other life experiences is more valuable to them than getting one more card in a plastic case they dont have yet to sit in their closet.

To sell things and make money you need people to sell to, there are PLENTY of people to sell cards to, at this point in time. Obviously I could be wrong and everything could go up exponentially for the next hundred years. Keep in mind however that if you lose your job or get divorced and fall behind in your house payments while trying to maintain your familys lifestyle, people are still only going to pay you what they want to pay for your cards, especially if you NEED to sell.

3 Likes

Government changed laws that cost collectors? What in the world is that all about?

I will gladly go homeless for pokemon cards. I nirly did the other week for the second venusaur, but I got some help from some peeps lol. One of dem shizzle from here xD

Not so much collectors but major dealers who were counting their inventory as super or something. They crashed which in turn cost collectors

I still donā€™t understand but it sounds interesting.

amazing find. However I think itā€™s quite weird how PSA labelled the cards ā€œthe lucky 7 findā€.