2 player starter set for Base Set 2

Hi everyone. This is my first post on here.

I have a question. Does anyone know if the base set 2 starter set was made anywhere other than the U.S.A? I have looked at the back of three now and all of them say “made in USA”.

There aren’t as many people enthusiastically discussing the intricacies of Base Set 2 on the net so thought I’d check here. :grin:

I do not know the answer, but I know there are two variants of the coin contained inside. There is a Starlight Pikachu and a Cosmos Pikachu.

There are two other coins with a 2000 copyright that seem to have variants more common in Europe than in the US, and they are Vileplume and Eevee. While I do not know this to be certain, I have long suspected that these coin variants are of the European variety since almost every example I’ve seen of these variants have been from European sellers.

This may be true with Pikachu from the Base Set 2 starter set as well. If this is true, I believe the cosmos pattern is the rarer of the coins.

I don’t know if this is helpful to you at all. But if all your US copyrights have starlight coins, that may point to there being a European packaging with cosmos inside.

Have you looked into which specific style of deck the vileplume coins came from? There is a total of 8 variant jungle set boxes with 7 of them containing coins, one of them being an international copyright version. Not sure why thered be 2 versions of the eevee coins though since the starter giftbox only had 1 known box edition. As far as the pikachu coin, there was a deluxe gift set that included the standard base2 starter deck and a intro vhs, but I dont know when that one would have gone into production so maybe a coin variant comes from those if they were early or late prints?

As for @basesetwill, If youre asking about base2 in general, only US recieved the base2 set and gym leader sets (although japan had their own gym leader decks early on). There are a couple deck box variants but nothing about changing the content inside of them. They were never released in any other languages nor have I seen any international copyright versions. There is always the possibility its out there that there could be an international version since I seem to always find new things even with something as seemingly definite as decks, but I havent seen it and I’m continuously looking at all the photos from every deck on ebay and mercari.

I’ve been unable to tell which coins come from which decks and boxes. They are cost prohibitive for me to buy new and are rarely open and complete in box. Coins are not very logical, I’m afraid. Eevee is an example you cite — for a long time I questioned that there even was a variant of the coin. As far as I knew, there was only one release and I couldn’t find any indication the mirror finish version of the coin even existed. I was willing to write it off as an error on Bulbapedia until finally I found one. All I can say is that it exists. Unfortunately I don’t know what set it comes from.

Vileplume has 5 variants I know of. Two of them have 2000 copyrights and that’s something like a 90/10 split between cosmos and starlight foil. I usually find them from European sellers, but have never opened decks to confirm my suspicion.

The Pikachu coin may be answered by your more expensive VHS sku. If that is the case for this coin, that could rule out the international theory for our friend here.

@lyleberr no I wasn’t talking about base set 2 in general. As I said in my post, I was asking if the 2 player starter set specifically only ever said “made in the USA”. I know that the starter set from base set had one that said “made in the U.K.”. I don’t know what you mean by saying only the US “received base set 2” when clearly it was released in the U.K. too.

@stagecoach I read online about there being a starlight and Cosmo version of the coin but I can’t actually find any pictures of the different versions. Every image I can find looks like it has stars and dots in it (which I assume is starlight), rather than the unique pixelated dots you see with Cosmo

They’re out of stock, but this website has scans of both.

Cosmos: the-couch-potato.com/pokemon-items/games/coins/pokemon-pikachu-plastic-coin-nintendo-5257-2a/

Starlight: the-couch-potato.com/pokemon-items/games/coins/pokemon-pikachu-plastic-coin-nintendo-5257-2b/