Lugia Black Back Japan
Poké Ball Pokémon Card Game Japan
Celebi Black Back Japan
Pokémon VS VS Series Japan
Blissey Black Back Japan
Pokémon Center Black Back Japan
Latias & Latios Black Back Japan

Notes:

• All “International” coins were produced and distributed by Wizards of the Coast.
  • It can be difficult to determine the exact country of origin, although releases were usually consistent in all territories. The same patterns used in North America were also used elsewhere, but sometimes there are exceptions that will be noted when they are discovered.
    *Coins are exhibit very similar features and traits that make them hard to identify from one another. Examining and understanding the nuances of each coin can be challenging, but knowing the language for how to discuss the nuances is helpful.
    *International coins were almost always stickers on light plastic with poor quality control. Japanese coins were sculpted directly onto thicker plastic and are carved into the coin itself.
  • It is prohibitively expensive and difficult to confirm which coins came out of exactly which theme decks. This is information that must be slowly crowdsourced over time. If you ever open a theme deck, or have a theme deck and are positive which coin came out of it, please consider sharing the information here.

Glossary:
Starlight - This is a foil pattern that depicts four-pointed stars as the main motif. This pattern is comparable to the foil used on Base Set cards.

Cosmos - This is a foil pattern that depicts clusters and bursts as the main motif, This pattern is comparable to the foil used in later WotC Pokémon cards, such as Base Set 2.

Confetti - This is a uncommon foil pattern that depicts densely a textured geometric details reminiscent of confetti.

Cracked Ice - This is a foil pattern that depicts large geometric slabs as its main motif, which only appears on Japanese coins in this era.

Mirror - This is a foil type with no pattern. Instead it features a glossy opaque sheen with no additional detailing or motif.

C/G/M and C/G Copyrights - Pokémon Card Game material was originally attributed to a development partner called Media Factory in Japan. Prior to 2001, Media Factory can be found in the copyright of most Pokémon Card Game merchandise, including flip coins. These letters stand for Creatures/Game Freak/Media Factory with Media Factory being removed from product revisions released after 2001.

Other Threads & Resources:
Google Doc Spreadsheet
Bulbapedia Page

Stagecoach - Have you seen this Chansey flip coin before?
Stagecoach - Trying to rule out the existence of an Aerodactyl flip coin
Stagecoach - Trying to document the origins of some old TCG flip coins

If you ever have questions about coins from this era, please feel welcome to ask me!

9 Likes

Latest Discovery: Cosmos Aerodactyl (Fossil 2000)!

Up until earlier this month, I was confident I had all these coins. I’d scoured the the internet, I’d bought so many coins to personally review, I’d skulked about on every international storefront site I could find, I’d consulted with other enthusiasts and scholars, there were no unturned stones left and I was sure I had them all.

One coin eluded me though - an Aerodactyl flip coin from Fossil theme decks featuring a “Cosmos” foil pattern. This coin occasionally showed up on incomplete lists of alleged flip coins from this era, but I could never find anything to support its existence. I was hesitant to rule it out because there had been other coins - like Mirror Eevee and Cosmos 2000 Vileplume - that were hard to track down and had uncertain origins. But after speaking with other collectors, including the author of some old documentation, I concluded this was a dead end. Clearly there was a misunderstanding somewhere along the line and the record was never corrected.

But I am nothing if not diligent. Despite concluding my hunt, I included a link to the Aerodactyl thread in a subsequent topic just in case. This caught the attention of fellow member @jac2357. Jac’s specialty is Fossil set cards with a 2000 copyright printed only in Australia. His unique commitment to these cards positioned him at the ever-so-perfect cross-section of our interests to come forward with new information on the fabled coin I’d been seeking.

Jac shared that this coin came from a “Red Label” Australian Fossil theme deck, which is a very rare sku. The unopened decks are a coveted collectable in their own right and it would be a waste to open one just for the coin inside. Conversely, any that were already opened were unlikely to still retain the coin. I immediately reached out to Jac about possibly obtaining this coin from him.

He was very generous and flexible to deal with. This coin falls under his purview - it’s associated with his specific collection of Australian Fossil 2000 material and it was asking a lot for him to part with it. But after discussing some possible purchase prices, we arrived at an even better alternative: a trade. :sunglasses:

This is not the first time that another member and I have fulfilled our mutual desires with an eclectic with a creative trade. Fellow member @thymeee and I made a creative arrangement last year to trade for two cards we both coveted and weren’t sure how to get otherwise. Jac and I made a similar arrangement!

I purchased a PSA 10 Fossil 2000 Tentacruel from a US seller (thanks Rusty at TCA :grin:) using a gift card I’d been saving. This discount allowed me to sell it to Jac for a heavily reduced price. I then performed some tasteful mail fraud to save him the shipping and import expenses and voila. We both got something we wanted!

This is the second time I’ve made an unlikely trade with a member of this forum, which I am very grateful for. I share this story to highlight a few lessons…

1. There is no more valuable resources in this hobby than your fellow collectors. No amount of research can ever match a personal interaction with a highly knowledgeable peer. I am grateful for members of the Pokémon community who share what they love with people so readily. You never know when your specific fascination is going to make you the perfect person to help someone else.

2. Always be open to new discoveries and never treat anything like a closed book. I was so sure this coin didn’t exist. I was on the record multiple times indicating there was no such coin. But just in case, I kept carrying the question forward and leaving the door open to someone like Jac to come in and prove me wrong.

On to the next mystery!

13 Likes

Will U maybe make a list of POSSIBLE coins, so when looking for new coins we know what to look for? i would love to help but no idea what to look for. :frowning: (if you dont like me posting in your article ill delete this post! Cheers!)

2 Likes

Let me check my notes!

1 Like