1st edition machamps

Yo i have a quick question, why does the unlimited base set machamp card have 1st edition when no other card in the unlimited set does? Do non-1st edition machamps not exist?

1 Like

Yes, but non holo

So if im collecting a base set unlimited holo machamp, itll be 1st edition?

Correct! Machamp was inserted into Starter Decks as an entry point for new players. As such, they are extremely common . . . it’s my belief that Wizards of the Coast wanted to lure in buyers with the illusion of exclusivity, getting a first edition holographic card. In truth, they are all first edition though (except the non-holo, Trainer Deck A variant, but those are so exceptionally rare that it’s unlikely to ever encounter one, except on eBay at an extremely high premium).

1 Like

Somebody correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe you can pull a holo non-1st edition Machamp in Legendary Collection.

You’re correct, but op mentioned base set.

Reference image:

1 Like

Damn that’s a fine card! Woo!

There’s also two holo versions. The Regular starry which we assosiate with Base Set and the cosmos which we got in Base Set 2.

www.hollywoodmemorabilia.com/item/1999-pokemon-base-set-1st-edition-machamp-cosmos-holo-psa-9-8102.html?sku=7779855&utm_source=HollywoodMem_PLA&utm_medium=cse&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzJfn9sbM2wIVka_ICh09awvwEAkYASABEgJC__D_BwE

Mmmmm, i love the CD-ROM cosmo holo! :grin:

1 Like