Would you rather own 1 vintage WOTC box or several modern cases?

wotc box for the nostalgia

Japanese booster boxes slap so hard. I have no greater regret than considering buying a sealed one at 2k years ago, only to look at the prices now and cry.

4 Likes

Since OP said several modern,

• Case of Shiny Collection
  • Case of Pokékyun Collection
  • Case of Mythical and Legendary Dream Shine Collection
  • Case of Tag Bolt
  • Case of Miracle Twin
  • Case of Dream League
  • Case of GX Tag All Stars
  • Case of VMAX Climax
  • Case of VSTAR Universe
  • Case of Pokémon 151
1 Like

For investment or profit gains modern easily. For collectible wotc

If we’re counting BW as modern, then modern just because Dark Explorers, Dragons Exalted, and the Plasma sets.

If we’re not counting BW, I’d take a Neo Destiny box.

1 vintage box, how is this even a discussion? Not even about the prices. WotC >>>>> Paldean Fates any day of the week :slight_smile:

I will choose several cases of Majestic Dawn

1 Like

several modern cases in a heartbeat, whether i have 2 years or 20.
If we were talking a japanese ex era box on the other hand…

If the timeline is 8 years or more, modern. Else I would say vintage. Either way I rather keep singles over sealed products for more enjoyment everytime I look at the item :smiling_face:. Modern boxes sitting in sealed cases are sad when there isnt even access to the box art, the only source of enjoyment people can derive is the future “growth”.

Even if it materialises, hard to describe those 8 years of waiting…

interesting to see everyone basically in agreement here.
Vintage is mainly priced-in atm and would require a major unforeseen catalyst to boost them further, whereas modern seems to have sufficient demand and market size to grown naturally over the short term. Vintage is still more fun imo.

I completely agree and have mainly stopped my vintage sealed hunt until the contents retrace up or the boxes retrace down to match. Right now many vintage boxes are essentially at covid prices while their popular cards have price graphs that look like this…

I am all for boxes being more than their contents, but a massive majority of the sealed vintage market is stream ripping as I have said before. Until that changes the internal content value matters.

3 Likes

Modern generally has more upside potential. But, I would hesitate if it were the SWSH era. XY - SM would see solid growth for sure.
But WOTC would feel cooler to own.
As someone who isn’t into sealed very much, my biggest concern would be making sure the WOTC box is legit.

1 Like