Wizards Black Star Promos Rarity Symbol

Hello,
I’m looking into organizing my Wizards Black Star Promos according to their rarities the same way other sets are usually organized. (i.e. Rare Holos, Rares, Uncommons, Commons). Not according to numbering.
Obviously, all 53 cards weren’t assigned official rarity symbols.
If you had to assign a rarity symbol for each one, how would you “grade” each one?

1 Like

I’ve seen the promos organized by the number and that seems to be the best way to go about it. Normal sets are also sorted by numbering.

That’s an interesting exercise. Hmm.

I would say cards given out to movie attendees would be common, as would Mew #8.

Most cards distributed through the Pokémon League would be uncommon.

Most cards given out through retail merchandise (Pokémon Stadium, the GBC game and its strategy guide, home video releases) would be rare.

And finally cards associated with an event (Birthday Pikachu, Lucky Stadium) would be rarest.

It’s hard to group it into just three categories (common, uncommon, rare) without diluting the fact that a very small selection of this series is much rarer than any others. But I suppose to stay true to the era you would condense the rarest cards into the rare category with the more mundane ones.

However what would really add dimension are WotC promos that weren’t part of the 53 card set - as anything outside this set would be considered “rare” and most of the cards currently listed “rare” would be “uncommon”. Then I suppose I’d bump the League promos down to common to adjust for the broader scope.

10 Likes

One possible way would be to arrange them by their current price. It may not exactly line up with rarity but exact rarity will always be unknown.

1 Like