Why weren't trading cards made the same as playing cards?

I’m around playing cards a lot, the ones used for gambling and I’ve noticed they’re very resilient. Despite being handled without any care, they still almost never have any edge whitening, creases or any surfaces scratches or scuffs. If trading card games were made with the intent to be played and handled, why were they made on a cardstock that gets damaged so easily instead of a cardstock like playing cards? I understand mtg set the standard so other tcg’s probably just followed suit, but why did mtg decide to use such sensitive card stock originally instead of making the cards tougher like playing cards?

1 Like

I play euchre a lot (a card game), and the deck is destroyed after playing. We need a new deck every couple of weeks. There is a lot of whitening on the deck.

I guess it depends on how you look at it. For example, a lot of old Magic cards were played to death and still remain in one piece to this day. The type of paper they use seems to hold up pretty well even after all these years. I suppose a lot of it would be due to cost as well, considering as Pokemon, MTG and other TCGs grew in popularity they had to come up with a certain quality/cost model that would be affordable as well as profitable when being produced.

I guess too by having these cards made as condition-sensitive as they are, it has made them increasingly collectible also.

1 Like