Why did I get charged different PayPal fees for same value?

I recently sold 2 items to two seperate ebay buyers for the same amount. One of them I was charged a ~$5 PayPal fee and the other I was charged around ~$7… why is this?

Where is each buyer’s location?

Both in the US

I believe its more for credit cards vs debit cards

It appears that one buyer is euro based and has me shipping to a forwarding center in Nevada…

If they pay in a foreign currency you pay more. 2.9% plus 30 cents for US transactions. 4.4% plus fixed amount based on the currency used for international sales.

Seems unfair if you only allow US buyers and someone makes an offer using a shipping middleman. I accepted based off the US address they provided and got charged extra for foriegn currency.

There probably is a way to disallow it if you want to but I’d lose a fair few sales for it and don’t mind the extra little bit enough to do so personally. I didn’t even realize it til this year so I’m not sure if it’s new or what but yeah it is what it is.

It’s not a big deal on small sales but if it were several thousand and the fee wound up being $50 difference I’d be adverse

Yeah I’m not sure why they changed the fees so much. They also charge the buyer currency conversion so they net 7%+ there.

People are even getting charged for sending F&F sometimes.

It must be fun when you run a monopoly like PayPal.

sale with a slightly higher fees is still better than no sale at all.

2 Likes

Adyen is on the way. There are a few other things out there and you can always accept credit cards directly but good luck with that.

Also, sending F&F is always charged when they use a credit card to fund the money for the transfer. PP balance or bank is free because that is much cheaper albeit still not free to paypal. When you transfer money F&F with a cc of course paypal will charge a fee as they are charged one by the credit card company.

Otherwise you could literally send thousands of dollars back and forth to rake in credit card rewards daily.

1 Like

This happened to me late last month as well. The difference was only $0.07 but I wanted to figure out why it happened. My eBay is set up to only ship in the US so I thought I was covered there. Turned out the payer was from outside the US so I got charged the “1.5% 2017 US XB Adj global” fee. Had a second rep explain that this is a “cross-border” fee. Based on the technical name, maybe this was implemented last year?

After looking into it, the names for the PayPal user, eBay user, and shipping address were all different.