Paypal Seller Coverage

This is an ebay transaction but I am more upset with paypal and their policies. I wanted to see if anyone else here has had similar situations and a better outcome. This is also as a heads up for anyone not aware.

Ebay user id: awesome_orange77

I was contacted through ebay for address change and I did.

Tracked and shows delivery.

Buyers opens chargeback through paypal. While ebay covers the purchase for the seller (me) 100% in this case, paypal will not. Even though I provided all proof of address change for buyer through ebay messages and exact address I shipped to, there is no coverage.

While giving my 2 cents to paypal over the phone I talked through options for in which this happens (more so towards high end transactions). I was told if this happens with say an order for $10k, I need to refund and have them pay again with the correct address and I will still be responsible for all fees from the transaction. My other option is to ship out to the address paid with, even if I know it is either wrong or invalid. Just last week I had a buyer with a US middleman in California. The buyer could not change the country from Germany to USA, but everythiing else was correct. Obviously there is no San Jose, CA in Germany so trying to ship this would just be a waste of time and money. After a long call on the phone I was able to get the fees refunded thankfully and I just refuned the $7000 to the buyer.

This raises many red flags for me as a seller. As a buyer Paypal continues to be the best of the best for protection, but for the seller, they continue to fall behind. I am trying to do everything honestly where they gets their good and services fees, but I am being pushed more towards not using them at all or actually just taking friends and family payments/bank wires.

8 Likes

PayPal’s terms have become entirely unacceptable. I’ve tried to use Square an invoice clients as much as possible through that platform.

2 Likes

Does square have reasonable seller coverage?

Not really. They specifically exempt collectibles from their chargeback protections. However, they don’t keep fees on refunds. In my experience, I deal with refunds way more than I do chargebacks. So it’s better in that regard.

But Square is also not eBay compatible. It’s really focused more on face-to-face transactions than anything.

It is far from solving the specific issues you’re identifying. I was just raising one service I use to reduce my PayPal use.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve heard of this scam before. As soon as you ship to a different address than the one on file you’re opening yourself up to a lot of trouble. The fact that PayPal keeps fees on refunds now makes it completely unfair to sellers if you realize they’re attempting to scam you, you’re going to lose out on the fees when you refund them. The seller is having to pay fees when the buyer is either the one who made an honest mistake with the address or is trying to scam you. How backwards is that? Also, be careful doing FF because they can still do a chargeback with their CC provider and you have pretty much no recourse as goods aren’t supposed to be exchanged via FF payments.

5 Likes

I really dont like Friends & Family because of the chargebacks issue either. Ive been pushing bank wire, but that can be such a hassle for buyers.

2 Likes

I heard a couple years back that eBay was switching to Adyen from Paypal. I’ve heard very little since, but I hope it proves to be a better payment processor for sellers. (not holding my breath)

1 Like

I was thinking the same thing, I remember looking it up back when the original news broke but I haven’t checked out Adyen since and also haven’t heard anything else about it since. You think eBay would want to continue to notify people so they can get ready for the change.

How long did they wait to actually issue the charge back from paypal? I had a couple issues like this but these people waited 3+ months for a refund…

I sold a figure on ebay like early last year for about almost 300 around I’d say march or april. I got a notification from paypal that the buyer issued a charge back in like july/august cause he states from his message that he never issued this transaction at all when it clearly states it was from ebay months ago. I called paypal and asked why is he allowed to do this 4+ months after he has received the item and they told me that it was his CC that reached out to them about it. The person on the phone assured me as long as I had the receipt and tracking info to state it was delivered to them I have nothing to worry about. I found the receipt and his address from it and sent it to paypal. Within days they closed the case and I got the money back on my account. I dont know what happened on his end but since I had his info and paypal info I put a blast on him on all social media groups I was in for collectors to warn about this person in case they ran into him.

Just 3 days ago I got another buyer claiming they never received the item I sold to them in November and said they just wanted a refund. I put up the tracking on the transaction and asked why did you wait this long?

1 Like

If an item is over $5k I would only accept a bank wire transfer for payment unless the guy was extremely well known and vouched for by reputable people in the community. Sadly, with heavy dependance on Ebay and Paypal in this hobby it’s a complete gamble for sellers these days.

You got your fees refunded, huh? I guess my PayPal rep lied to me then when she said it was “impossible” to refund me the fees and they don’t even have the ability to do that. I sold $8000 worth to some guy overseas that had a slight change in address and now I’ll probably have to eat $350 in fees. I guess I’ll call again.

I put them in a bit of a bind as I called before shipping. I asked how can I have seller coverage? They told me to ship to the exact address on file. I then said but that place does not exist and the rep said there is not coverage if it does not show confirmed delivery. The Fees are for your coverage but it was impossible to get that coverage so they finally refunded the fees back. Picture below.

Also as a side note - I reached out to the buyer from the original chargeback, but this time direct to email instead of through ebay and the guy requested an invoice for the payment and the chargeback. He then paid… I’ve never had that happen before

1 Like

Hmm nice call, Rusty. I haven’t shipped mine either … I’ll have to call a third time.

2 Likes

Recently sold a card and since it was international and through paypal, i was a bit weary. i requested for the individual to show me that he did not pay with a credit card. he showed me the transaction and it was deducted from his bank and from funds directly on paypal. i am not sure if this reduces the risk of a chargeback by the CC company, since it avoids using the CC altogether. They can still file a fraudulent claim at the bank, but I believe it’s a bit more difficult than with a CC company. Seems like CC companies have more power/options available to them to retrieve funds at a moment’s notice. Paypal seems to side with CC companies.

Anyone else has more information on this paypal payment method of having the buyer use direct bank payments or paypal funds?

Believe it or not, there was a time PayPal didn’t exist. I would have dozens of sales each month on both eBay and yahoo usa, with nary a problem. Not one.
Those were the days.

1 Like

There are other options to choose from but it won’t be as easy as PayPal. For larger sellers you can setup a website and list your items there. You’ll still have to take credit card payment though.

Also what’s the conclusion on the change on paypal’s buyer & seller protection policy for cards and items bought for selling? Last I heard on FB groups is that they’re not longer covering cards unless its bought from an authorised dealer. There was another post saying that cards can still be covered as long as it can be proven that they’re not bought to flip. I don’t understand how you can prove the latter though.