Which is the ACTUAL rarest Pokémon card out there?

I plan on clearing all photos from my phone before the trip. There will be plenty of photos, as well as some of a few other cards people didn’t know exist. :zipper_mouth_face: :sunglasses:

8 Likes

No more pikachu plz, already can’t afford to complete my pikachu collection :confused:

3 Likes

I do hope you know that you’re absolutely obligated for no absolute reason to take any Gyarados cards that are in that compilation and return it to me, right? Just making sure we’re clear on that. :stuck_out_tongue:

But seriously, if there’s a Gyarados card that exists in that… I’m going to cry. XD

How funny(terrible) would it be if you came over and all it was was playing cards with bad bootleg stickers on them and the word “Prerelease” written on it?

But in all seriousness, if this shows valid, this will mark a HUGE accomplishment and event in Pokemon Card Collecting history.

3 Likes

I assume you have a 10MP+ camera in your phone? Please say yes :confused:

Scott is more handsome…but I’m more right :tada:

5 Likes

M

Good question. Many here know this from previous discussions but it’s a good time to discuss again.
This was of major concern at all the grading company’s well before Pokemon hit the scene. I remember discussions at PSA dealing with baseball card sets with ink and foil additions.

I was privy to the discussions but not the details of the fix.
I can say, and honestly only know, that there is a simple way of determining type and placement date of the card ink. It’s pretty much foolproof. I’m extremely good at it with only a jewelers loop. I dont say how though cause that info could help the CFs who could make changes and hinder the detection process.
The foil stamps (such as prerelease) are a completely different story. The placement date or type is not time sensitive and can’t be dated. Something about the degradation factor.

What I have always suggested is only buy or get graded items where an ink stamp relates to value. You can go back on my 17 Ebay/Yahoo auction years and won’t find a single nm or better 1st base holo sold raw, even when there were 500 raw for sale and only 10 PSA graded. If the cards were a wreck then I may have lol.

5 Likes

@garyis2000 Thanks Gary!

So the Charizard’s with a perfect 1st edition stamp is the true rarity @garyis2000?

I’d still want to submit it to BGS or PSA to be safe.

I won’t be writing an update (don’t have the time). However, everyone is welcome to go back and read my original article for a good laugh. :rofl:

Just to weigh in on this:

The addition of grading just adds a different rarity aspect to a card. There’s the initial rarity of the card (how many were produced) but then so many factors influence how hard it is to get in a 10. For example, there are mass-produced cards like Neo Shinings or No Rarities (heck, even some new English cards) where its virtually impossible to find one in gem mint condition.

So things like trophy cards are rare in initial numbers, but other PSA cards may also be rare in terms of 10s in the population. They’re completely different ways of assessing a card’s rarity.

I think it’s very fair to label a low-pop PSA 10 mass-produced card as rare, because it is. Out of god knows how many cards produced, only [insert pop here] have received a 10. It’s also very fair to label a trophy card with four copies as rare, because of the low initial numbers.

Also, despite the rarity of these trophy cards, they seem to pop up a lot. If I had the money, I could pick up some trophy cards off eBay or Y!J pretty easily. Now there also some cards that just never come up for sale, think Art Academy cards. Which ones are rarer? It’s a tough question…there are more of the art academy cards, but assuming money wasn’t an issue, I can’t just mosey onto eBay and buy them.

There are so many factors that make a card “rare,” so it’s difficult to actually define what it means in terms of collecting.

5 Likes

Some good points here. However, I wanted to expound and make a couple distinctions in relation to trophy cards and condition.

First, cards like University Magikarp, Parent Child Kangaskhan are referred to as “trophy cards” and do appear enough to purchase if desired. However, the cards with No. 1, 2, 3 in the title, especially the older trophies rarely ever appear. The last 1997 trophy that was on the open market was in 2011-2012.

Interestingly enough, University magikarp and a lot of other cards of that rarity were considered “prize cards” or “tournament cards”. The term “trophy card” was reserved for the numbered trainer cards. Today, the term “trophy cards” is an umbrella term used for most-all cards awarded for winning a tournament.

With trophy cards, so many people want to own a copy, but the supply is always too short, thus the higher price tag. The condition or grade of a trophy card ultimately pushes the item into absurdity. How can one price a PSA 8 1997 pikachu from a PSA 9? They are so absurdly rare, that the grade is almost negligible.

The condition aspect is always tricky, as most individuals would just love to own the card. I personally see both sides of the grade or condition concept. In sports cards, grades are paramount, as most-all cards were released in sets. Essentially, condition is everything. The PSA 10 1979 Wayne Gretzky rookie is 1 of 1. I doubt another PSA 10 copy will exist. It is the most valuable Gretky card and hockey card. Although, one could view the grade as a qualifier. As a PSA 9, 8, or 7 is still the same card, but its condition is slightly lower.

5 Likes

This is why I don’t bother with grading my one and only trophy card. I personally feel it’s more desirable in its original case than it would be if I had it graded by a third-party service. But if I ever decide to put it up for sale (which, right now, it isn’t), I doubt the fact that it isn’t graded would affect the price one bit.

4 Likes

Very well said and true.

Another possible way to answer @missingno 's original question is, “The rarest card out there that is the one you want the most right now but it isn’t in your collection.” :relieved:

4 Likes

so all the points you point out smpratte is exactly why there will be complications and quality of life for you will reduce if you dont get me that 1997 pikaz :grin: ungraded, and in psa 7 condition atleast.

Look guys i have to say… the most attractive trophy cards have to be the snap cards… They are a NO Rartity situation… but they are also a trophy… think about that for a second. They take a giant shit on everything on the planet in my opinion. Try and get one of them in a psa 7, and i will have to higher a private investigator to find yo ass.

So you got all the aspecs of No rarity where they are found in shit condition, but also said only 10 copies of each or less exist?! That takes the cake in my opinion… If they popped up everytime in MINTY Fresh condition like other trophies, but there was only 10 of them, they would still be extremely attractive and on the level of 1997 PIKACHU cool in my books of profound wizdom. BUT THEY ARE IN ASSWIPE CONDITION PLUS THE LADDERINGTON… Just think how cool it would be to own those dam cards. One day i will make wings take dream. :ninja:

By the way guys I just pulled the alakzam on my birthday!!

1 Like

have you seen any of the snap cards in poor condition? I would love to have a peak myself! I’ve seen a post from years back of a koffing card, and the only one I ever saw for sale myself was the Gyarados that was up on eBay forever and has no disappeared

I seen a squirtle someone linked me to and it went for 3k or something??!!! It was near mint i think.
Cant wait till opne pops up, i have to save. The one on ebay was owned by a really great seller.

Not quite. I wanted to know about any cards, documents to be low in numbers. Making them genuinely ‘rare’.