Where to Start?

Hey all. I’ve been collecting Pokémon cards since about 2004, and only recently started collecting graded cards and taking it a bit more seriously in the past couple years. I came here to be instilled with a deeper knowledge about the market and worthwhile resources, as well as to find people with a common interest. But there is a ton of content here. Where should I start? What’s the next step?
Anyway, thanks in advance. Glad I found this forum.

5 Likes

Have a favourite pokemon or set?
Try focusing on a more specific thing first I guess

Welcome! How deep you want to get?! There are tons of holes you can find yourself in when looking to learn things in Pokemon collecting. I would suggest finding something you like to collect and go from there. Ask yourself some broad questions to start narrowing it down. You like newer or older sets? Any specific pokemon or generation? You nostalgic towards any type of cards or sets? Finding a cateory will be a good starting point. The articles, guides and resources section of the forum is a great place to scan through some in depth details in most categories. This will really show you how far you could go when looking for information!

efour.proboards.com/board/4/articles-guides-resources

You will certainly stumble across something you didn’t know before! (then proceed to spend hours looking up stuff when you needed to go to bed 2 hours ago)… :blush:

3 Likes

I would say start with the vintage WOTC stuff as supply is slowly drying up and give it a couple more years PSA 10 stuff will be harder to find for a suitable price.

2 Likes

Hey thank you! I definitely was up too late last night in the Articles Guides and Resources section. Lots of worthwhile information there. I love the Johto region! Most of my favorites come from that generation. 0ean is right though about hurrying with collecting WOTC cards, so now I know what I wanna do.

1 Like

This is where I am starting for my psa graded collecting.

Here are some large collecting categories in the Pokémon graded card scene.

1. What you like (generally WOTC stuff)
  2. Complete holo sets
  3. Ultra rares (Shinings, Crystals, Gold Stars)
  4. Charizards
  5. Japanese Exclusives
  6. Prize Cards
  7. Trophy Cards

Everyone has their own collecting preference. Some people commit to one or two of the above, some people change their collecting preference multiple times over time and commit to one or two eventually, and some just have a little of everything.

Make it fun for yourself because at the end of the day, you’re the person who’s going to look at the cards you bought and hopefully, enjoy them enough that the value it gives you outweigh the price you paid. Good luck!

2 Likes

I see we have a person of great taste here =) (Johto is by far my favorite gen and era as well!). Glad to see you on board ! Im fairly new myself and have found that the resource guides, coupled with the search tool will be your best friend for a while here, and theres tons of great information with some fantastic people everywhere you look. Narrowing things down by what you enjoy most is a great idea, as well as even maybe making a post or two if theres a pressing question you have that an answer might be hard to come by. Either way, I found the community here to be very helpful and extremely friendly and encouraging, so youve stumbled in what I believe to be the best place for pokemon collectors.

Also, feel free to send me a dm if you ever want to talk johto things! Haha Ive never really known anyone to share a huge love for second gen like myself, so its great to see you make your way here!

1 Like

Haha yeah you can get lost in the knowledge for sure. I also believe if you have decided on WOTC era for the most part its best to scoop those up first. Typically you see people go for the most expensive cards first. Seems to be the best way to knock out a set when trying to save money where you can. If it takes you a while to complete the set those cards tend to go up first with more demand. Good luck!

I love going after holo’s. I think as I move out of the WOTC era, holo’s in sets would be awesome. But I have been counting the Ultra rares like shining as official holo’s too lol.