What to look for when assessing cards

[Edit: Added suggestions]

Sorry for the noob thread, I can just imagine all the eye rolling already.

Word has got out at my workplace that I ‘like pokemon cards’, so I’ve been offered/coerced into having a look at them some. I’m guessing they’re mainly going to be English Base to maybe Neo era cards. So I hoped to familiarise myself with some key points to look for since I don’t collect these cards:

All - Condition and 1ED stamps

Base - Shadowless, UK 1999-2000 4th print, Ninetales no damage error, Wartortle evolution box error

Jungle - Prerelease, No symbol

Fossil - Prerelease and 1999-2000 print

And that’s all I got so far. I know the most likely situation is that they’re all going to be common as mud and scratched up to hell, but someone must have a prerelease Raichu and that first gem mint no rarity Blastoise.

2 Likes

Jungle no symbol, although they’re not really worth much more than the regular unless they’re mint

1 Like

My coworkers found out that I collect cards. They had me look at their cards. Let’s just say I was little too enthusiastic when I found a couple 1st edition portuguese fossil holos.

turn down your enthusiasm or they will poke fun D:

3 Likes

To be honest if they are gonna try and sell you them then I would look at them to find a deal but not to screw them over with low prices, be fair if they offer to sell them you. Though if not I would turn it down and just say put them on eBay at auction to find a price. To be honest it can be a bit awkward to have to tell someone what they think has a value is actually worthless, which it most likely will be, damaged cards ain’t worth shit and that’s what they will likely be. This is just from my experience of being asked a similar thing by a couple of people once they found out I collected them and asked me to take a look.

5 Likes

No surprises. It was mainly unlimited Team Rocket and Jungle commons. A few reverses from EX sets. A half decent Flareon holo from Delta Species and Magmar EX from Ruby Sapphire.

5 Likes

it always end up that way. People think they have gold hidden away but in reality it’s freeze dried turd

5 Likes

So true.
just because it’s old, it has to be expensive… Nothing to do with quality

1 Like

Good cards to look for are the Ninetales no damage error and Wartortle evolution box error.

And of course everything you listed also. :blush:

2 Likes

I’m the “card guy” for anyone that comes into my Dad’s coin-shop looking to sell cards. There have been countless incidents where people are looking to sell 1980’s-1990’s Sports Cards… Them: “I’ve had these cards since I was a kid; kept them MINT all these years…” Me: “I’ll offer you $0.005/Ea.” Them: " :open_mouth: " haha

2 Likes

Of course, I come across nicer than that! Haha
But still, the majority of people think just because there cards are old, they’re worth a fortune.

I’ve the added suggestions to the list, perhaps we could use this a little resource for everyone.

Worse thing is, I always feel guilty, like I’m ripping them off even though buying at their prices is ripping me of haha!