What is true market value?

I had an argument with a collector saying items sold locally shouldn’t reflect tax and shipping prices, so for example:

Item 1 located in USA is $700 but totals to $800 shipped internationally due to shipping and tax etc
Item 2 is located in Australia, do I sell for $700 or $800?

Hypothetically $800 is the cheapest option and is market value, why should I drop my price to $700 when $800 is the next cheapest option? I think his argument is invalid and has no sense of what market value truly is.

1 Like

This was painful to read lol… Generally I think it is both professional and good customer service to try and pass along any savings on fees to your customers or at least split those savings with them. However, at the end of the day you can charge whatever you want as you own the cards. If they can’t buy it any cheaper than from you they will likely pay your price if they really want the item. (unless you piss them off enough.) I have had a couple of sellers irritate me to the point where I decided to wait and buy from someone I preferred to deal with.

All that being said he is clearly an obnoxious buyer. Trying to coerce you into selling to him by calling you greedy and saying that you are ripping people off is uncalled for. If a buyer started trying to negotiate through personal attacks with me I would end the negotiation right away.

That looks like a block in my book.

4 Likes

Did he mean rapport when he said better repore with customers? Pretty painful to read. Why’d you keep it going?

TLDR: It’s your item and you can choose to sell it for any price you want, the reason behind the price tag is irrelevant - the buyer has free will to chose not buy if he doesn’t agree with the price tag on a non essential item.

6 Likes

honestly don’t bother with guys who tell you the “true” value of your card / collection

3 Likes

Looks like a massive waste of time

9 Likes

If someone is arguing with you by “nickle and dime” you over fees and whatnot, time to move on to someone else. Market value is a subjective term and for a buyer will always be less than what a seller thinks.

2 Likes

If you own an item, don’t let anyone pressure into selling it for lessthan you want.

1 Like

What a moron. It’s your item; it’s not immoral for you to price it at however much you want.

Cards work just like any other collectable. You can sell it/list it for however much you want. Granted if there is a ton of said card on the market and your highest price by far that just means yours will sell last. Or it might take years to sell. It depends on exact senerio and price you want. for example if Gary listed a base trio 1st ed PSa 10 for a million. It might never sell or it might sell ages from now but that’s his price and he might not actually want to sell. Sorry Gary shouldn’t have used you as a example just making a general point. I know there’s no actual million dollar 3 card listing right now

The point I was making is (although unclear), he doesn’t get to dictate market prices. I thought it was unfair that he surmised that matching market value is greed.

My response to people like this is “feel free to buy it elsewhere at that price”.

9 Likes

when selling directly on a global platform, the market price is the market price… each buyer has their own set of circumstances that influence their individual price. sales taxes, f/x, shipping. but those don’t get factored into the market price directly.

1 Like

If you sell an item and ebay and paypal takes 15%, is it worth .85x the sale price?

Vice versa if a buyer pays an auctions house premium, is it worth 1.15x the last bid?

Best answer would be the last bid price.

This logic works in a market without any barriers for purchase and perfect availability to all participants. However that isn’t the case.

Some participants value items higher due to limited availability in that country and so its fair to sell item x more than what it goes for in another country

1 Like