What if Pokemon was like Magic? Playability as Price

This is exactly why Base set 2 is such an AMAZING and well-designed set… It combined all the staple cards from base and jungle and left out useless and worthless cards like the eevolutions, devolution spray and clefairy doll.

I have bought lots of cheap base set 2 cards to build all the vintage decks. Another cheap alternative is to buy Japanese versions.

1 Like

Unfortunately for Magcargo this guy was the undisputed king of the neo era. Crobat and Kingdra from Neo Revelation were playable though.

Whoa! So Base Set 2 actually has a use after all?? Lol, I kid, but that sounds exactly right in my mind. It’s basically the Revised / 4th Edition of Pokemon.

Please post pictures of some of those decks! They sound amazing!

Edit: After thinking about this, my mind is actually blown a little bit. What if the reason Base Set 2 is hated is exactly the reason it was designed: to be a reprint of all these cards with an emphasis on making them available to players cheaply?

eek!

2 Likes

For modern formats, you only need to go as far as Japan to get your answer. For the longest time Japan valued playability over collectability and still does. That’s why you often see Trainers in Japan being priced at 5x their English counterparts and most Pokemon at 10x less. If you look at Japanese marketplaces you will still notice the emphasis on playability.

Just opened mercari and this is what showed up in the first 5 listings:

From a western perspective that second listing is a bargain, and the first one is overpriced, whereas from a Japanese perspective it works the other way around.

1 Like

I got into collecting from playing, and I’ve been building old decks since 2013 for the fun and nostalgia. I’m somewhere over 110 decks from the base-fossil through 2010 formats now, so I’d be loaded.

The hardest part is when playability and collectability intersect, because that makes a card really difficult to purchase and then shuffle. I need five Dark Gengar right now.

2 Likes

jklaczpokemon.wordpress.com/

This is the bible of vintage competitive PTCG, you can sink HOURS into reading and analysing all of that.

The site’s tagline sums it up better than I could - “History, decks and strategies for formats from 1999 to 2013, written by 3-time World Champion Jason Klaczynski”

1 Like