What hobbies did you grow out of and use to fund pokemon?

Wow those puzzles would be a great to do during quarantine lol, it looks like you’ve solved most of them!

1 Like

Wow thats cool! my dad restores old muscle cars! He does a lot of 70’s chevelles and on occasion GTO’s and corvettes from the same time

1 Like

Wow thats crazy! i never would have imagined a market built around artisan soaps lol.

1 Like

This would make for a good conversation, and its cool learning things like this!

Perhaps, but I actually work more hours now than before the quarantine tbh, haha. Although I do have no travel times anymore, so I guess in total it still saves time indeed. Although in my free time I spend too much time browsing this (and some other) forums, haha. :laughing:

I indeed am able to solve the majority of them (although I do need a cheat sheet for some of them). Most of the unsolved puzzles in the pictures I haven’t solved yet, though. The majority of those are also pretty unique 3D printed puzzles, so even if I’m stuck I can’t really search for a tutorial online, since almost no one owns the same puzzle. I’m not that great of a solver to be completely honest. I’m more of a collector. I think the hardest puzzle I solved completely myself (which I am quite proud of), is the Geared Mixup. Although I guess no one here knows how easy/hard certain puzzles are to solve, haha. The complex-looking Super Star, Master Sun Dial or 9x9x9 Cube are for example not too difficult to solve, but the easier-looking Biaxe, Crazy Tetrahedron - Uranus or 3x3x3 Heart / 3x3x3 Egg shapemods are all pretty dang hard to solve. :wink:

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

Great topic! Sports cards/memorabilia are probably it for me. There was a time when I did both Pokemon and Sports at a similar rate. Ill pick up sports memorabilia once in a blue moon, but I achieved my goals earlier on, and so much of the market is contrived. Today its mostly pokemon, then mtg and video games.

1 Like

Alpha Beta MTG

Kept the P9 cards though

2 Likes

I’m more in this boat as well. After undergrad, I had thousands of MTG cards and no one of interest to play with anymore. Ever since EDH became an adopted and official format, I’ve routinely checked certain cards since a bunch constantly see rotation. I still have the decks I play with when my friends visit or I visit them, but MTG has probably helped make about 20 or so card purchases.

Other than that, I’ve simply just sold all of my other collections for other personal endeavors. Yugioh has helped pay for student loans and uptik my savings. As it is, My Yugioh collection was worth more than my current Gyarados collection, but none of it really funded it.

1 Like

Seeing your video games in your videos made me impulse buy a sealed pokemon pearl lol! One day i would love to get red blue and yellow atleast CIB

Not really a hobby but bitcoin was my big break. Most of my bitcoins I bought for $10-$100 range back when it was mostly geeks interested in and libertarian type people. Sold most of my stash over the years as the community changed into something I did not like and I don’t see higher upside potential for it. Don’t want to go into specifics but it was very lucrative for me overall. By far one of the best investments I have made in my entire life. My stock investments have been pathetic in comparison.

2 Likes

Do you only collect video games or do you also play? If so, what’s your favorite game or genre?

Other trading cards + Lego

Weirdly enough, Pokemon. Growing up, I used to open packs constantly. Several times a week, after school, my mom would take me to the toy store on the way back from school and I’d get maybe 5-10 packs. This was during the WotC e-Reader era up through roughly EX TRR. Unfortunately, most of those years coincided with the pre-Gold Star ex-era, so the cards weren’t (and, to an extent, still aren’t) super valuable, but I accumulated tens and tens of thousands of cards. I temporarily got back into collecting in ~2014 or so, and sold many of the more valuable cards I had and purchased booster boxes of Ruby Sapphire, Power Keepers, and a handful of others. I opened some of them, but luckily soon became too busy to actively collect so I actually still had three sealed up until this past fall, which is when I discovered that they grew in value twenty-fold and I sold them on eBay that Fall/early Winter. Of course, not too long after they sold, I began to regret having sold them…and, to make a long story short, I basically spent all ~$15k of the proceeds from those boxes on more EX-era sealed product and cards! And that brings me where I am today: heavily back into collecting Pokemon cards lol. So yeah, my 2003 Pokemon habit funded my ~2014 Pokemon habit, which then funded my 2020 Pokemon habit.

Oh, yeah, and I also sold off probably 75% of my MTG collection around the time of the original Reserved List spikes in 2017 and then over the course of early 2020 (and still am selling!). All of those proceeds have basically gone toward Pokemon cards, too. And I intend to continue funneling money into this addiction until I no longer can lol.

@ripguyfawkes, A little of both. I mainly do N64 and sega genesis. Just go after what I grew up with. Unfortunately I owned some of the most valuable titles as a kid, Worms Armageddon, snowboard kids 2.

I still need to pick up a sealed snowboard kids 2. I missed one a bit under $500.

3 Likes

What a beauty (the white one lol)

1 Like

Wow, this pic takes me back…We really were lucky to grow up with Pokemon and old-school video games.

I grew out of saving money spent it on shiny cardboard :blush: yay \o/

3 Likes

what exactly did you not like?

Worms is one of the best games ever made and no one can convince me otherwise

1 Like

Dammit, Skylanders was in 2013?!

I remember working at a Games Store as one of my first serious jobs back when these things released. The hype and craze for them was really. Parents constantly coming by and calling if we had several Skylanders their kids still missed, and meanwhile supply couldn’t keep up with the demand.