What does the community like more?

• Pokémon Gold Star Cards
  • Pokémon 1st Edition Cards
  • Pokémon Crystal / Shinning Cards

0 voters

Would love too see what you guys like the most :innocent:

Edit: took out the Trophy cards option as yeah those are indeed a whole different ball game lol

I don’t know if Thropy cards fit into the same category as 1st Ed and Gold start. I would recommend replacing Trophy cards with shining cards. For example, a Trophy Kang or a battle road trophy are something entirely different than a shining Gyarados or Pikachu.

1 Like

There is only Gold Star Greninja

4 Likes

Honestly I agree I will see if I can change it

1 Like

Personally I do agree on the point around trophies. Though you never know, people might very well have a preference for having a 1st Ed/Crystal/Gold Star over a trophy card and that’s also very fine.

Not to derail the current poll, but what would be interesting would be to see whether if there exists a hard preference threshold or if there is a sliding scale to it when we start comparing across the spectrum of trophies (old back/new back/battle roads/XY or SM-era etc )

By this and for illustration, if it turns out that most folks would prefer having a Trophy Kang over a 1st Ed/Crystal/Gold Star would this same preference carry over to something like a victory ring/victory decoration/masked royal-type trophy.

My impression is that the majority of trophy collectors prefer old back trophies. Otherwise, id say many people probably draw a line at some point either before or shortly after 2010. Its definitely a very abstract thing tho, so take what im saying with a grain of salt. This is just my best personal estimate!

3 Likes

100%! This was the first though I had when I read the modern outpacing vintage thread. Vintage trophies are in a league of their own. Outside of price, the history is untouchable.

3 Likes

It’s tough for me because…

1st Ed Base > Gold Stars > Crystal/Shinings > All other 1st Ed.

I guess if you average the rankings, it’d be gold stars on top for me.

1 Like

Not sure if I agree with putting Crystals and Shinings together. I feel they’re distinct enough subsets/releases to warrant the separation.

Crystals will always be my favorite because I love e-series cards, but I can see why people would prefer Gold Stars or 1st Editions since their releases encompass a larger range, have more history or a stronger artistic identity.

2 Likes

Maybe I have an unpopular opinion: Crystal cards are incredible.

• They draw from a variety of artists (Nishida, Kusajima, Arita, Kimura, Yoshida, Saitou, Menjo) compared to gold stars (Fukuda).
  • Many Skyridge copies have major holo bleed across the entirety of the card.
  • Crystal cards were made of popular (Charizard, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Celebi) and less popular Pokemon (Crobat, Golem, Kabutops, Nidoking, Seaking), thus appealing to a wide variety of collectors.
  • Their moves are metal (e.g., Draining Cut, Holy Flame, Earth Bomb, Poison Flame, Mind Bend, Rolling Thunder). :metal:
  • Skyridge Crystals can be found in the Reverse holo slot as well for collectors on a budget.
9 Likes

Ive always wanted to make a post about how crystals are the best secret rare cards ever made. You made a lot of points but I also really like how each card is mostly white with each of the 3 colors of the 3 types that card can be blended in.

Celebi can be grass, psychic or water so green, purple and blue throughout card.

8 Likes

I actually love this card (unironically).

1 Like
  1. 1st Edition - the OG

2. Crystals - Crystal Ho-oh; enough said

3. Gold Stars - love some of them, dislike some

4. Shinings - I feel like Neo Rev and Neo Destiny are two different animals for this, but Neo Destiny had eight of the 10 Shining cards. For this reason, Shinings are last for me. I find Neo Destiny Shinings to be predominantly boring.

100% 1st Ed base holos and the other 1st eds should definitely be a separate thing here

I don’t care for the artwork on most gold stars, but I do have to respect their rarity, especially some of the high grade copies.

1st Edition has so much inside that category so its an easy choice for me.

2 Likes

If gold stars were textured it would be game over.

8 Likes

Vintage english regular holos with 1st ed stamps :1st_place_medal:

Vintage english regular holos without 1st ed stamps :2nd_place_medal:

1 Like

Tricky one! Okay so some thoughts from the perspective of the English TCG…

Biggest nostalgia hit = 1st Ed

Most desirable as a rarity/collectable = gold stars

Most desirable to have in my collection from an art/stylistic view = crystals

Still love them and consider them a personal S-tier, but the original shinings would be last on my list!

All of the above choices are too easy to get it’s not much fun for me. :frowning:

Deep ink 1st ed and Shadowless Base, Cosmos Fossil, square cuts, test prints, errors and impossible gem mints are the level above the level.

2 Likes