What card from any set deserved to be a holo?

Yep, on point. There was this hype surrounding Steel’s release as the most unstoppable type in-game and it shows in lure for TCG as both new types helped balance Fighting’s inferiority and Psychics superiority.

Even still all three Rocket cards highlighted are very strong arts for not incredibly fan favourite pokémon outside games. Hell, Dark Dugtrio’s art is what converted my liking to that line.

I apprecieated the Dark Golbat so much more when I had noticed the continuity of perspective going from Rocket Zubat to Dark Golbat to Neo’s Dark Crobat.

I realised Slowbro in Fossil is what Jungle Persian is to me as another personal favourite who was another VG titan that didn’t quite translate the same into the holo department until soon after luckily. Hence the love for the Rocket set. :wink:

Golem (Fossil) deserved to be Holo, if the card ever gets reprinted; i hope it comes as a Holo.

1 Like

Like others have said Fossil Golem should have been holo, it seems like a crime that the other trade evolutions (Alakazam, Gengar, and Machamp) are all holo but our rocky boi is left behind. Brock’s Golem would have been another good holo in Gym Heroes.

Misty’s Starmie from Gym Heroes should have been a holo, it’s her iconic pokemon from the main games!

I wish they could have kept some of the cards in the Neo sets that appeared as holos in Japanese (Neo Revelation Starmie & Aerodactyl for example) as holos in English as well.

Also agree with the Light Eeveelutions being holo in Neo Destiny. Why are there 11 Holo Dark Pokemon but only 4 Light? Each eeveelution could have significantly added to the balance

I wish Butterfree had a holo. I felt like he deserved one because we was apart of Ash’s original team. I don’t count the legendary reverse holo.

3 Likes

… I just looked at the card set. So they have a Dragonite EX card but don’t even have the audacity to include Dratini or Dragonair?!

Pretty much any Eeveelution that isn’t already. Especially the ones that got de-holo’d in EX Sandstorm.

Base Dragonaire dat aurora borealis
Jungle Exeggutor dat sunset
Fossil Mr Fuji kawaii + shiny would be cool or maybe Omastar because good contrast
Team Rocket Dark Golduck would make a nice shiny with that reflection

1 Like

Daisuki Scramble Secret Rare Cards.

1 Like

Gonna have to go with Espeon and Umbreon Gold Star from POP 5. The Japanese versions as holos look so much better, really wish they were able to figure something out in English where they didn’t have to de-holo them.

1 Like

That’s a good call. Imagine how much they’d be worth then!

I think pikachu deserved a WOTC set card holo, he was wildly popular, even back then. Since pichu got holos, I think pikachu was shafted.

And base set I would have liked dugtrio to be a holo instead of clefairy!

3 Likes

I think the 2010 illustrator design promos should have been holos. Very unique artwork, would have been neat to see some sparkle added to them. I also think the pikachu world’s collection should have been holofied as well. Really neat binder set. The entire southern isle set should have been holofied. Felt like that was a missed opportunity for that set.

Fixed it for ya. Jungle didn’t have a holo haunter.

Jungle Butterfree, Base Set Dragonair, Charizard #39 from Expedition (unless that does have a holo variant but I’ve never seen one, only the reverse-holo) and Fossil Golem (all just my opinion :grin:)

No Moltres? It has always been a bummer (especially as a kid) that WotC promos weren’t holo. And when it was, it was a freaking sticker you could easily peel off (ancient mew).
I don’t understand why the other charizard from expedition base is holo and this isn’t.Back in the day there weren’t as many holo pikachu and I always liked this artwork. (btw. this was the first “real” pikachu for us as it was depicted similar to the one in the anime)
Like others have already stated eeveelutions from team rocket would’ve been great as holos.

1 Like

If we didn’t had the Web legendary birds in holofoil, I would indeed have stated this one. But since I collect all languages, I see the WotC promo legendary birds as artworks which already have a holofoil variation.

It looks awesome (as both holofoil and non-Holo :wink: ):

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

Forgot about that variant. A beauty indeed. Are there japanese variants for the other WotC promos? I’d love to have a Mewtwo No 14 holo.

1 Like

There are a few, but the Mewtwo not unfortunately. Here the ones I know of with alternative holo in comparison to the English WotC promo (not necessary in Japanese, could also be a reprint in English):

#4 Pikachu was released as Holofoil for the English XY202 promo reprint:

#10 Meowth was released as non-Holo in Japanese and English (both released in Japan, though):

#11 Eevee was also released as non-Holo in Japan:

Not a holofoil artwork, but the #12 Mewtwo was part of the Legendary Collection set, and is therefore available as ‘Firework’ Reverse Foil.

The #17 Dark Persian was released as non-Holo in Japanese:

#21 Moltres, #22 Articuno, and #23 Zapdos we already mentioned, which were Holofoil in the Web set:

#24 birthday Pikachu was released as non-Holo in English itself, in the Pikachu World Collection 2000 set:

The #25 Flying and #28 Surfing Pikachus were released as Starfoil Holofoils in the Japanese Bonds to the End of Time, and Holofoil in the English Rising Rivals set itself:

The #43 Machamp was released as Holofoil in both the Japanese Masaki set, as well as the Pokémon Web set:

The #47 Mew was released as Holofoil Rare in the Japanese 20th Anniversary and English XY Evolutions sets:

#48 Articuno was released as Holofoil in the Japanese Quick Starter Gift Set - Red Deck:

And that’s it for the WotC promos. All the other cards are both Holo or non-Holo in English and Japanese alike (although quite a few of them are Glossy in Japanese).

Hope that clears it up. :blush:

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

Post no. 2 here after not having seen this card in a while then seeing it the other day. I’ve always thought the ninetales from neo destiny was gnarly and would look stellar as a holo! It was also ripped off by getting stuck as an uncommon… but omastar got to be a rare in the set…

P.s. has someone that’s good with like photo editing or something of the like ever done something where they could add holo to any given card? Is something like that even possible?

3 Likes

Dark flareon vaporeon and jolteon in team rocket should have been holos

1 Like

imgur.com/gallery/D8nLUU3

2 Likes