What are your current feelings on Legends Arceus?

What do you mean by a pre-order bonus of a region? I only see some cosmetics you get if you pre-order.

Hit the nail on the head. Wish they’d just take more time. Pokémon fans don’t need a new game every year. There’s so much potential in the IP, hopefully we’ll get there eventually.

Missed a word – regional map (Gamestops in Canada give this out on all preorders)!

2 Likes

I’m excited for the gameplay, but the graphics are severely disappointing to me. Kind of like all the recent games.

Warning : long rant, tldr at the end

@lavendergengar okay then that is maybe ps2 graphics? It is visually on par with Okami which released in 2006 and had a clear style choice. This game on the other hand wanted to be similar with a brush stroke type of graphical setting, but is failing miserably. Look at the grass, trees, and water. It is actually pathetic how choppy this game looks.

Also, I did not say that graphics make or break games, but for me and others they can make or break immersion. You do realize that there doesn’t have to be a choice between gameplay or graphics right? So many high class games balance these aspects really well (Monster hunter stories 2, Genshin Impact, Zelda BOTW, Zenoblade, etc.)

Plus I don’t even get why anyone would be defensive about this game’s graphics. I love Pokemon just like you do. Saying that these graphics are acceptable and giving Gamefreak an allowance to put out games of this quality is only gonna lead to more rushed and half assed pokemon titles. If the game is gonna look this bad, it would have to have some of the most fun/immersive/full gameplay of all time to compensate. But even then, it looks like this game is just full of open space with not much to do. I mean, the game releases in like two weeks and what do we even know about it? There’s a bunch of gated off areas where you explore and catch pokemon in a monster hunter style way, but it seems to have way less missions, customizations, and general cohesiveness

Also @pkmnflyingmaster I’m also glad that they broke their routine for this game. I am scared though that they didn’t put enough love into it, and the negative reception will have them go back to making normal Pokemon titles like before that are uninspired

Tl;dr : The game seems as wide as an ocean but as deep as a puddle. The gameplay seems fun, but not even remotely deep enough to excuse the graphics. If you’re gonna have lacking gameplay, then it needs to compensate with a good/smooth art direction

1 Like

I’m pretty hyped for this and have a 10 hour flight to Hawaii on Jan 30th scheduled so I think I know what I will be doing haha.

Dude, I play games like Ys, the Atelier series, SMT, Disgaea and stuff like. Graphics don’t mean crap or have to do with immersion. Great story and great gameplay make or break a game. Graphics? As long as they are not trash like ff7 is fine

I will definitely give it a try eventually. I just bought the sword and shield expansion recently. I could use a trade partner eventually if anyone else here plays pm me. I basically have to do transfers from old files but no rush.

i will purchase the video game

3 Likes

I won’t.

My girlfriend will xD she said it’s my birthday gift as my birthday is 3 days after

I wonder how the actual game will compare to this fan made one made by two people:

You think that that fangame looks good?

Admittedly it’s not as refined as Game Freaks but two people made this! And it appears to have similar mechanics in far less development time.

one is only a show off portion, the other is a full game :wink:

Both are (as you describe) show off pieces at the moment as the full game is yet to be released :wink:

P.s I’m hoping gamefreak turn it around. But their track record hasn’t been great. I admire your loyality.

1 Like

I just feel like people complain too much nowadays. I grew up on SNES/N64 and stuff, and people were way less aggressive back then.

Waiting on reviews before deciding to pick it up or not.

2 Likes

Wow,since I rarely play other Nintendo games I didn’t realize the discrepancy between the development time allotted to Pokemon vs other Nintendo franchises. I’m seeing that BoTW2 is receiving five years of development time while Legends Arceus is receiving substantially less time? During this development cycle GF’s team was most likely fragmented since they needed to refine the SwSh DLC’s while still working on Legends Arceus? Pokemon is a successful franchise but Mario has better sales figures and the Legend of Zelda isn’t too far behind. So, I wonder why Nintendo has such strict deadlines for Pokemon specifically?

Well…I suppose unlike the other franchises, Pokemon has a successful TCG, tv show, and several movies. Additionally, the games are the driving factor of the franchise since they introduce the new Pokemon, region, characters, etc. Maybe that is why the schedule is tighter for Pokemon.

It’s because the real moneymaker for pokemon is merchandise. The game is way more important as a vehicle to introduce new merchandise (like plush, cards etc) than it is as an actual game. It’s the grease in the wheels of the merchandise conveyer belt. While I don’t doubt that Game Freak tries to make great games, the reality is the timeline is a higher priority than the quality of the final product.

In contrast, the Legend of Zelda as a franchise is primarily a video game. The success of that franchise is primarily dependent on the games being fantastic

3 Likes

Yes.

HOWEVER, as someone who has been playing Zelda since 93, BOTW is no Zelda game, and is easily one of the most overrated games ever.
It is barren, the environment feels unreal (you wanna convince me that a region with a lot of mountains doesn’t have a single cave?), ditches most of the Zelda formula… It’s a good open world game, it’s a bad Zelda

1 Like