Value of base 1st edition holo set PSA 7 - 8 - 9 - 10

I was wondering what value a 1st edition base holo set is estimated nowadays.
More for the graded sets for psa value 7 - 8 - 9 - 10.
Are prices lately the same for those psa sets or did they rised (since a year ago or so)?
I don’t think there has changed alot in 2019 for the prices or am I wrong.
For example I saw a raichu psa 9 1st edition for sale a year ago around $500 - $700 and today I would say the same.
Any thoughts what wil happen in a few years about those sets?

Here is the closest you will get to a true estimation of the holo prices over time

www.pokemonprice.com/TotalSetPrices

I feel like there are a lot of missed eBay sales that for whatever reason never make it onto that website

2 Likes

@obliviox91, Keep in mind that for the first edition base set cards there is usually a price range depending on several things.

1. Sometimes when there are not a lot of a certain card listed the values will rise until more are listed. If only 1 PSA 9 is listed as BIN, then it might go for a premium, until a few more get listed.

2. Sometimes people pay extra for a card that is OC or a grey stamp. I sold an OC Hitmonchan for more than other hitmonchans in the same condition even though it was not graded as OC.

3. People will list their 1st ed base cards for a premium and hope they will eventually sell. 500-700 is a big range, so it’s not surprising that the range has not changed. I would say overall, it’s getting harder to find good deals. This is why when someone lists a card higher than it is selling, the thought is that it will sell eventually. !st ed base has high demand and low population. so price will inevitably get driven up.

1 Like

The data for pokemonprice is sourced from PSA’s auction prices realized. Its actually pretty difficult to classify ebay listings to one of the thousands of cards in the pop report given the variability in listing titles and images. Whoever wrote the code that does it had to make a design choice whether they would bee conservative in their classification, which results in missed sales vs being overly aggressive and potentially misclassifying data. The obvious choice would be choosing to miss listings because over time the data will catch up to the missed sales.

I find there are more missed listings recently which I think might be due to a change in they way to find the true best offer sold prices that ebay made. I find this affected the way sites like watchcount work. If this is true, PSA might have to make an update on their web scraper

Anyway, I’ve only written all this to explain why I think a historical sales database is not an easy thing to create. But as I mentioned in my original post, this is the most comprehensive resource available. I would recommend supplementing the data there with recent listings for the best results

2 Likes

In the past six months I’ve made multiple submissions to that website for missed sales, yet none of my entries ever get updated to their database so I’ve thrown in the towel on that. Instead of scraping PSA, it seems like it would be much better to scrape eBay?

Can you clarify in what way eBay has changed finding the true sale price? Are there circumstances when watchcount is unable to display the best offer accepted?

I don’t know the specifics. My experience is that watchcount used to display the actual price on their page. Now I have to click a link and load the Ebay page myself. I think it means some javascript code has to run in your browser to produce/show the true sold value which is not friendly to web scrapers

2 Likes

I see what you mean, your original comment had me thinking it wouldn’t always work when manually checking sale prices (which is what I began doing when I first noticed pokemonprice did not have every sale listed) Thank you!

I had a sale that was picked up by pokemonprice.com, but showed my buy it now price. I had accepted an offer lower than the buy it now price. I requested to have it removed, but I believe there may be other sales showing up as sold for the buy it now price, when in fact a lower offer was accepted.

I still think it’s your best resource, but be careful in interpreting a single sale alone.

1 Like

I’ve also had sales picked up the by PSA’s sold listings tool that were Best Offer, but showed up as the asking price (not the actual price). I’ve noticed this started happening in the past few months, so be aware of that when looking at Best Offer prices.

1 Like