Using Photoshop AI to Extend Pokémon Art

Photoshop has a new AI-powered “Generative Fill” tool, which can be used to extend the backgrounds of images. (And a lot more stuff.) But I wanted to just give it a test run on some Pokémon themed art. Figured the HYOGONOSUKE’s Sleepy Pokémon would really work well for this. Each of these was literally done in two-clicks. Here are the results:

24 Likes

Those look pretty great, where do the base photos come from?

2 Likes

Right here: HYOGONOSUKE’s Sleepy Pokémon

Artist is drawing all of the Pokémon asleep. Here are the original images for reference:

1 Like

This is amazing! Churn them all out! Makes perfect backgrounds!!!

1 Like

Ohh right I didn’t realize he was the artist I figured he just showed how to do it. Cool though. I gotta find a good wailmer art to extend

1 Like

Wow, its scary good

7 Likes

Thanks I hate it.

6 Likes

Stylized foliage is really playing to its strengths. Anything more complicated tends to look good at first glance but not stand up to closer scrutiny: take a look at the chair to the far left of the Persian scene.

2 Likes

Is it possible to do this to card art?! Something like this:

1 Like

a close friend of mine that works in design recently attended a conference where they had to sign an NDA on some upcoming rollouts for a major design software and told me they were sick to their stomach at the future of art. hoping people in the field can find a way to utilize AI as a tool before it eliminates a lot of people in the workforce.

4 Likes

I’m messing with it now. Seems to be pretty finicky. You have to mess with it a lot to get some good results.

I think this is a “responsible” use of AI in art. Use it to add background content, but allow the artist to develop the character, frame, setting, tone, medium, etc.

1 Like

This still cannot replicate art well. Maybe with some actual photoshop effort by someone more experienced you could do something better (and at that point, if you’re putting in that much effort, you are basically creating art yourself), but after a bunch of iterations and messing around, this is the best I could do to extend this one out a little.

Edit: Okay, I have a better idea of how to use this now. Yikes.

6 Likes

Mehh, youre still feeding someone elses work. I follow some people on instagram who extend card arts but like with paint. Personally not a huge fan of the AI art

1 Like

Yeah. This will never be as good as real art made by a human being. But knowing how companies work, it might be good enough for those just focusing on a bottom line. :frowning:

1 Like

Whether you like it or not, I think it will be a big part of the future in art, music, etc.

Maybe consumer responses will follow a Kübler-Ross bereavement curve.

3 Likes

They’re not perfect, but not too bad. Light Wigglytuff came out way better than I thought it would. It is funny seeing it try to create the flowers on the Southern Islands one. The paper texture on that one gave the AI some trouble.

5 Likes

I love and hate this.

It definitely has trouble replicating illustration styles, but this is fascinating.

9 Likes

Works to remove text from the full art cards too. :man_shrugging:

The results with HYOGONOSUKE’s art really is unbelievable. Makes you double take the AI added sections.

12 Likes

@kris
Again, it might not eliminate as much as you think, since AI generated work can’t be protected as IP. Until that legal definition of the creative entity changes, there’s no money in it other than the reduction of the cost center. (which yes, I’ll admit, that may be a big deal.)

@implode
Cool! But why does dark jolteon have a tumor? :laughing: