Tord Reklev's No. 2 Worlds Trophy Card Featuring the Name of the Player

As a player/judge and someone who has had many positive experierences with Tord, it’s wonderful to see PSA put his name on the label. First time this has happened for any player at any event!

https://twitter.com/PSAcard/status/1710036727061172610?t=t26EyD0tj0eqH8kZp9jxLg&s=19

UPDATE - Following up from the above, PSA will now offer the same for other Worlds Top 4 players in the future. Great news for provenance and adding an extra layer for these going forward.

46 Likes

oops didnt see a thread had already been made!

I thought this was a neat little thing that they’ve added, since I’m sure they don’t typically get a ton of players submitting their own trophies. As stated in the PSA tweet, I think it adds an “extra unique layer to [the card].”

2 Likes

I just consolidated these to one thread! Pretty cool option for those who want to designate their card!

7 Likes

What a cool concept. It would be awesome to see more trophy cards with player names printed on the label. This feels like an opportunity for PSA and the hobby to keep track of its own history even better!

6 Likes

I agree! However there are some winners I’ve bought from that preferred to remain anonymous. Nonetheless it’s cool the option exists!

5 Likes

Interesting, it has gone straight up for auction. Not sure if there would be a huge premium for “Tord’s card” but will be a good datapoint, first public 2023 new art trophy sale.

https://thestrand.com/auctions/calendar/list#/lots/ace9e570-b03d-4b0c-94d2-e0fd17dd531d?q=Tord&page=1&limit=25&sort=price&sort-by=desc&lot_status=all&auction_uuid=f9bd53c5-0ae8-4123-a252-c8564d4083d0

1 Like

Straight to auction and they are using that auction site over any of the other major ones? Is that a really large auction site in Europe?

I never heard about it before but they have brand new accounts on socials
https://twitter.com/strandauctions

Never heard of that site. Looks super boomer. Maybe I am being too much of a purist, but the immediate sale kind of taints the whole designation announcement.

24 Likes

I agree. It took them longer to… uhh “design” the label than it did for it to go up on auction.

The significance of it being his personal copy is a bit lost when it goes straight to auction. That being said I don’t blame him and I’m not really the target buyer here anyway.

9 Likes

Yea kinda cheapens things a bit when u realize the whole thing was just a big marketing strategy to pump the auction. Oh well, cant fault him for selling his card i guess

5 Likes

The guy said he’s a full time competitor and coach, and that card will potentionally be his biggest paycheck to date. :man_shrugging:

I tip my hat off to him for taking the proper steps to ensure it’s seen by a wider audience and maximize the pay out.

22 Likes

Sure, as a collector, I cant help but feel a way about certain things. I dont know Tord, or anything about his personal situation financially, or as a player. If he’s happy to sell it, then im happy for him :grin:

2 Likes

To bad I graded my sons nr3 a few months ago. I’m pretty sure he wants his name on the label also.

4 Likes

Looking at the label they should redesign it if my sons copy have to cary his name.
Would take almost the full lower line.
The division should have been next to the word trainer. no 2 trainer - masters of No 1 trainer - seniors or No 4 trainer - Juniors would do the job.
Everybody interested in this would know what it means.

I am going to ask if PSA is also willing to put his name on his semi-finalist/quarter finalist etc cards he earned. It’s easy to proof he earned them himself.

2 Likes

It’s a branch of Stanley Gibbons which is a big stamp auctioneer in the UK. Its a brand new venture for them and they just setup their TCG brand under the Baldwins name. The guy leading it Roy Raftery used to work at the auction house I am now working at (Ewbanks). I think UK auction houses are realising that there is money in this market and trying to move into new areas for them as well as their traditional areas like stamps, coins, fine art etc.

3 Likes

As a collector I can see the viewpoint of the special indication being a big thing for PSA since changing anything with their label is pulling teeth and the special ability for the winners to choose this option. But obviously, we live in a world fueled by money and I see why he is selling. I mean who doesn’t want a paycheck for well over 100K for winning in a tournament. I am happy for him wherever this auction lands and I am happy for the collector who purchased this card.

At the end of the day, the player gets a paycheck and the collector gets an added price of history of the winners name on the designation.

I feel in hindsight, we will all see this as a Win Win.

2 Likes

he’s the biggest name in the competitive side of the TCG. its a W for PSA and this auction site as well.

the real question is is there anybody in the market for a 2023 no2 who cares who’s name is on the label

edit: or any year for that matter

I would say no for most buyers. I think the designation option is great for winners, but I think most collectors just want the card. Mainly because when you buy the card it’s now yours. I think that is why it feels kind of odd, since the designation makes sense for winners who would keep their card, but this is immediately being sold. Regardless I hope Tord gets paid!

6 Likes