Thoughts on Japanese secret rares becoming English promos?

After seeing the sets all typed out, it makes sense why Hidden Fates distribution is so haphazard. This set was an after thought to just get everything released that they missed.

2 Likes

Well there’s still a ton they’ve missed so they should have tried harder. lol

You forgot Forbidden Light (1 card), haha. :wink: I was surprised to see the Full Art supporter Lady in the Hidden Fates set, even though the Japanese Forbidden Light it originally came in was released 1.5 year ago… It was the only FA Supporter from sets which wasn’t released in English yet. So in this case I am glad it is added to an English set after all. It looked a bit weird in my binders: all English FA Supporters; followed by limited Japanese exclusives like The Masked Royal and the Team Rocket Briefcase promos in PSA-10; oh, and here is a single Japanese Lady. :laughing: I just don’t get why there had to be 7 sets in between the Japanese and English releases, though… :confounded:

They’ve just took GX Ultra Shiny, and threw in all kind of cards they forgot or simply hadn’t released yet…

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

On one had why I get why they are doing this on certain secret rares as the sets in English are already so huge that they try to reduce the amount of ultra rares by making them Promos. But then again, getting those cards from Japanese boxes is such a great feeling as the art is pretty so it gives satisfaction when you pull one. In English some of them you can pull and some you can’t. Reshiram / Charzard being one you can’t pull… I think it’s a money grab in a way, they made it as a Promo so more people are going to to buy the box they put their spare booster packs in that nobody wants… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: (I don’t know what packs actually comes with the box but we know Pokemon does this kind of stuff often)

Then again, I never bought the Japanese version of alternate art ReshiZard so I might as well go with the English one as it’s the same art but like $40 cheaper ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ #slave

4 Likes

As a player, I’m happy with the way they are releasing secret arts via tins / boxes, as it is a cheaper alternative to obtain meta-relevant GX cards like PikaRom, Reshizard, and Mew3. Singles for these are way cheaper than their regular art counterparts, plus you get a code card for online testing, as well as 4 booster packs to cover the rest of your cost. Do keep in mind that majority of pokemon players and collectors cant drop xxx USD on booster boxes / cases every time a new set comes out just to get a playset of each new playable card, so these new tins alleviate some of those concerns.

As a collector, I’m happy not to have everything translated to English, specially those competition SR prize cards like Zekrom GX SR, Mewtwo GX SR, Masked Royal FA, Japanese regionals promos; basically cards that were tied to a specific event SHOULD remain exclusive as it would de-value whatever “effort” was exerted into obtaining them. Take for example the recent Munch Scream promos. Those were tied to an actual art exhibition which was enjoyed by thousands. Having those cards released in English as tin promos would’nt make sense, there would be no meaning.

4 Likes