This card reminds me of....

I saw this card the other day:

and for some reason for the first time it made me think of Dhalsim from the street fighter games! I played the heck out of that game on SNES when I was a kid:

I thought it would be cool to have a thread where you can share what cards make you think of what.

10 Likes

Blew your mind didn’t I?

13 Likes

Holy crap is this why i was so facinated by the art? MIND BLOWN~~~ edit:wait a minute this is on the cover of the packaging -.-

I’ve shared this before, but this card always reminds me of Maurice Sendak’s Where the Wild Things are. This card got me stared on collecting Kusube cards.

9 Likes

20 Likes

lmao

Great artwork indeed. He’s also the creator of my favorite lugia artwork (neo revelation). Too bad these cards have no holo variant, but it’d probably take a hit on his incredible artstyle.

1 Like

4 Likes

14 Likes

LMAOOOOOOO

Dude that’s spot on haha. Good one

2 Likes

I love the story behind this one. I hope that Kadabra will one day make a triumphant return.

The following information was taken from Bulbapedia.
Uri Geller
Kadabra’s official core game artwork at the time

In 1999, Uri Geller, a man who claims he is a psychic and that he is able to bend spoons with psychic powers, tried to sue Nintendo for £60 million ($86.93 million at the time), claiming that Kadabra, known as Yungerer in Japan, was an unauthorized parody of himself.[47][48] Besides Kadabra’s use of bent spoons to enhance its psychic powers, the katakana for its name (ユンゲラー) is visually similar to the transliteration of his own name into Japanese (ユリゲラー). Another claim was that Kadabra’s design is antisemitic in nature due to the star on its forehead and the lightning bolts resembling the logo of the Waffen-SS. He is quoted as saying “Nintendo turned me into an evil, occult Pokémon character. Nintendo stole my identity by using my name and my signature image.” The symbols themselves are taken from those used on Zener cards, which have been used to conduct research into psychic abilities.

As a result, there has not been a Kadabra card in the Trading Card Game since Skyridge in 2003 and Kadabra has not appeared in the Pokémon anime since Fear Factor Phony, perhaps as a precaution against Geller’s history of lawsuits. This is further hinted at by Masamitsu Hidaka’s interview with PokéBeach in July 2008,[49] where he claims that usage of Kadabra on a card is not allowed until an agreement was reached and that the case would not be settled anytime soon.

Abra and Alakazam cards have continued to be printed, despite the fact that this makes it impossible to play Alakazam cards in matches that prevent the use of older cards without a card that specifically allows evolved Pokémon to be played. However, the only Abra card released after Skyridge, in Mysterious Treasures, has an attack that allows it to evolve directly into Alakazam, skipping the Kadabra stage.

3 Likes

I love this story because it’s ridiculous. It’s so obvious what the Pokemon company was doing but damn if they didn’t get called out.

2 Likes

LMFAO

1 Like

She. Aya Kusube is a female. :wink:

Her style is really fitting for Pokémon since her drawings are simple to ‘read’ for children, while the details are great for adults to appreciate. I absolutely adore her Houndour from Neo Discovery.

Anyway, Dark Raichu always reminded me of Super Saiyan Goku leaping towards the viewer. Change my mind.

2 Likes

Who’s the dude and what’s happening in this picture??

Jeb Bush. If you don’t follow US Politics though you won’t get the meme.

1 Like

This is Gold :grin: . Litterally

You don’t recall the legendary Jeb Bush sweeping the 2016 US election, becoming the first unanimously-received President since George Washington?

Show respect for Our Great Emperor.

Guilty, I do not follow politics so I’m lost here. I do at least know who jeb is though!