Thinning out collection/freeing up cash; Is it worth to grade?

Over the summer I have decided that I need to free up cash, free up space and focus down.

So… I am sitting on a bunch of 1st Edition Base Set (in Dutch) common and uncommon cards all basically pack fresh and various (holo) rare (not first edition) that would all grade NM7 or higher. Selling it all ungraded or as a lot would probably cash me € 2 per card since all the desired ones (starters etc.) been already sold years ago.

Is it worth it to just take the bullet of grading costs, send them out to PSA/CGC and sell them graded? Are graded Base Set C/UC’s still in the market?

I don’t know about Dutch Base 1st ed cards, but I can tell you that this year I won many many German 1st ed cards PSA 9/BGS 9.5 on auction for 20$, sometimes 15$ and below. Very cheap 10s aroud 30-40$ too. So if you do grade them, I’d suggest not auctioning them off and being more patient (list BIN) at least right now.
The grading cost is a question of cost of capital - IF you would wait with selling them and you don’t expect the cards to shoot up in value (PSA upcharges), why grade them now and tie up the money?

5 Likes

That’s exactly why I am asking the question. I am not sure if grading them would give me a premium that covers the grading costs and a higher price for the card.

Well my simple shortened opinion on that is no, not right now!

1 Like

Anything under a 9 for foreign commons is guaranteed to be a money loss, even at CGC’s elite tier bulk $9 rate. Even the 9s might just be breakeven. Just too niche. PSA 10s will put you ahead but that’s tough to guarantee and you will have to wait at least 2 months to get them back. I would agree with the above post that it is not worth grading at this time.

2 Likes