Think you can ID these obscure sets? Test your poke-fu here.

Hi all, I’ve had many of these cards for over a decade and it’s always bothered me that I don’t have official set names for where they belong in my inventory. Some may be fakes and that’s okay, I have many known fakes already. Reaching out for collective nerd knowledge. Each pic is front and back of a single card. Let me know if these need different formatting.
Red caption text means an ID has been offered. Black still unconfirmed.

A: Likely fake

B: Chip Shooter Vending

C: Likely fake

D: Likely fake?

E: 2005 Zukan Advance Generation

F: 1997 Bandai Sealdass Set 1

G: Likely fake

H: Likely fake

I: (DP Bromide?)

J: Some kind of lenticular, dimensions don’t match Flipz (not my photo)

K: Jumbo Tomy? (Not my photo)

That’s all. I’ll probably find more. Thanks!

2 Likes

(B) is a pokedex mini card. It came from vending machines that had this cardboard display:

It says 1997 on the cards so it wasn’t released earlier than that. The first appearance of these cards in corocoro magazine that I saw was in their June 1997 issue so it was probably released around that time.

(F) is Bandai Sealdass Part 1, also 1997. Like many of these vending sets sealdass came in “parts” that were released at different times. I only know this is in Part 1 because of an image of the set list card that came with the boxes. The cardboard backing for part 1 looked like this:

And here is the set card for part 1:

On the left is pokemon that were in the set, on the right are evolution cards like the one you posted a pic of. You can recognize # 63, 64, 65 as the abra/kadabra/alakazam combo on your card, so that upper-right block together represents your one card.

Some of the other stuff I’ve seen before like (A, D, H) but I don’t know as much about it other than that it exists. Lol. The back of (J) resembles the back of some of the earlier Amada stickers but I don’t know if that’s a coincidence and haven’t thought much about it.

3 Likes

Bootlegs: A,C,D,G,H.

1 Like

@doublefelix921, I appreciate you taking the time to write that up. The fact the card borders are different in the same set confused things.

@rainbowgx, thanks, I figured some of them were bootlegs but needed confirmation.

Out of curiosity, how do you know these are fakes? For example (A) I could have been convinced was just an obscure set by an obscure company that worked with Nintendo.

Personally I think the lack of a copyright it’s a good sign. Cards like D are similar to the bootleg version of the japanese Anime Collection set

Aside from the poor print quality, licensed stuff should have copyright information on the back. Without that text it’s most likely fake.

EDIT: Seems andrea beat me to it.

1 Like

Good point. Thanks!

I ran into a video unboxing of (E) today in case you’re interested:

It’s a carddass set from 2005, it is the pokemon Zukan as you said. In the video at the beginning by autotranslation he calls it (roughly) “Pokemon Zukan Advance Generation Pokedex Card Hado Special”.

Carddass sets often come in parts; I don’t know what variants of this set there are, most of what I know is about sets and merchandise from 1996-1997. But the video contains the exact card you posted at 3:50.

1 Like

I’m a bit late. I’ll add a few quick things.

Item I is from one of the DP Tops gum products; they had multiple.

Here is some examples of other Tops products.
01, 02, 03, 04, 05.

Even now they still produce a number of them.

It’s not the bromide gum sticker sets you may be thinking about, they are produced by ENSKY.

Item J was released in a series of cookies by Meiji (pronounced may-e-gee).

I archived some photos of the product a year or two back from a listing on Yahoo Japan. Looks to be from 1998 or there abouts.

Heres an old image I took of one of the stickers without its lenticular counterpart. I originally received it as part of a bunch of freebies included with one of my orders. I don’t collect them. The front isn’t even in focus, apologies, i never thought they would even be posted.

…and time for bed.

Edit: Forgot to mention, im pretty sure Item K is a stationery item. Showa Note produce colouring books, pencil cases, albums etc. This one looks to be an album of sorts.