Thick and Thin stamp

Hey all

Really simple question, Im sure 99.9% of you know the answer and are rolling their eyes at my question.

Just acquired 2 1st Edition Base Set Raichus.

One is thick stamp. One is thin stamp.

Which is which?

Thin Stamp = thin “1” ?

Thick Stamp = thick “1” ?

Thanks in advance

1 Like

You can use this picture as a quick visual reference. From left to right they are grey, thick and thin stamp.

3 Likes

Sometimes it’s hard to tell. I always say, “thick D thin 1 equals THIN. thin D thick 1 equals THICK”.

You “mint” grey, thin and thick. :grin::+1:

What do you mean piez?

Thanks everyone =)

There is a really great guide about all of the stamps variations. Probably a lot more to it than most people realize:
www.elitefourum.com/t/1st-edition-stamp-variations-lets-iron-it-out/17624/1

There is actually:

• Thick 2D Stamp
  • Thick 3D Stamp
  • Thin 2D Stamp
  • Thin 3D Stamp
  • Thick Grey Stamp
  • Thin Grey Stamp
2 Likes

Was about to link my article, but I see someone beat me to it. Thanks! :blush:

Thin vs Thick refers to the width of the “1”. My article in the link above explains it all.

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

is it true that Thick Stamps were the first printed of 1st edition base set?

The first group I got were thick, including starters, and all my replacements direct from Wotc were thick. This made me believe thick’s were first. Can’t be 100% certain though.

Edit: one more thing. My test sheet is thick also.

1 Like

We know it’s first. The WOTC manager said they increased the pressure, which caused the thin stamp and the rest of the stamps from Jungle onward to be thin.

Yes he said that, but other things he said were off base so it made me skeptical of everything he said. I almost hate to even discuss him/it.

Why wouldn’t you want to discuss the old WOTC manager? Did he do something to hurt the hobby? Another question that I’m sure has been answered at some point… with all the people who worked at wotc why hasn’t anyone come forward with printing numbers. Surely someone, somewhere, knows something.