The new gold stars?

So I think this has been mentioned recently that the new rainbow rares/hyper rares are maybe being considered the new gold stars… I just wanted to know what other people’s thoughts and opinions may be on this? There is a lot to like about the HR-GX cards and being that they are the first of its kind and a nicely playable card(right?) doesn’t it give it some more nostalgic value down the road… this seems like it will be a time when a lot of collectors and tcg players as well as Pokémon go players will look back at 2016-2017 as an exceptionally nostalgic era of pokemon cards, and games and collectors will think it to be “so cool” to own a GX/rainbow rare in gem mint or mint condition. I don’t know… the hobby is always looking for a new “hero” and pokemon is good at giving the consumer a “hero” on a daily basis. Is this a card to buy now or buy later?

1 Like

My main problem with deeming these anything in the realm of gold stars is the fact that they are re-hashing the Ultra Rare art for the cards. So without the unique art I don’t think demand will drive the market as hard for these Secret/ Rainbow Rare cards as the likes of Gold Stars. They are more akin to Crystals in some respects.

I think the value will be based on production numbers. This is a boom time for the franchise and collections. My opinion is it’ll be a long while until this set will appreciate much. With it being the first of the SM line, peak of popularity and collectible, the master sets will be niche and expensive compared to other sets but I don’t think it will be at a premium for a very long time.

2 Likes

They’re to common. One in every box. Hell i bought 5 packs at walmart and got one.

The per pack ratio in Japanese is a tougher pull. Would that make this one of the few Japanese cards that holds more value than it’s English counterpart?

But I admit I was disappointed when I see one being pulled from every box. I was hoping it would have been at least 1 per 2 boxes. The feeling of not getting one in a Japanese box is disappointing and feels a bit shorted, but that also makes the feeling of pulling a Japanese version more rewarding and exciting, and more of a “this card is rare” type of feeling.

It’s not 1 per box on the Secret Rares. I had 2 of 8 boxes that didn’t have any. I think someone worked a ratio of 1 per 1.2 boxes which seems pretty accurate, 1 per 43-ish packs.

2 Likes

we’re not talking about secret rares. We’re discussing the quote on quote full art hyper rares that appear to be not so rare. The secret rares have a really low pull rate from all of the large unboxing videos on youtube. Just about 1 in 3 boxes if not less.

Rainbow rares…
I will also add that the card stock on Japanese Rainbow rare feels incredible… the quality of the cardboard/paper is unparalleled from what pokemon cards i have touched. A fun card to collect.

Japanese cards are always better than their English counterparts. Im sure everyone here wishes that quality could be transfered to the English print runs.

That’s what I’m talking about. The Secret Rares = Hyper Rares + gold border cards. So anything outside of the set numbering list. English #150-163

The full art hyper rares really arent secret rares, yes the are outside of the numbering but should not be counted as such. The four gold bordered cards are the true secret rares of the set and you only get one of them every 2 to 3 boxes.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygrsYwZpfyc

4 Likes

it’s so well explained by Scott. Amazing. It’s good to have these videos to educate us.

2 Likes

Awesome explanation. I did not even consider the whole “volume” perspective on the hyper rare, but with that volume is the higher customer base (collector and player) versus the gold stars (seemingly) currently trade between collectors(where as to players allocate their funds for playable cards is basically what I am imploring.). So the overall rarity probably balances out when placed in comparison/relation to gold stars (condition is an anomaly for an additional point on this topic). So I love the explanation given by smpratte, it really answered the question well.

I group them all together. I don’t know how you can classify any card outside of the set number as anything other than “secret”. Perhaps a sub-set of the secret rares are the Rainbow Rares and Gold borders. But the classification must be maintained as that is exactly what those cards are, secret.

Scott’s video echoed a lot of what I was saying in my first comment here in regards to the gold star comparison. Good stuff!

If they dont start making pokemon ultra rare gold boarders and they keep doing f**** trainers and energies… im going to throw things.