The name for this kind of misprint Pokemon card?

Went to a local comic shop and found some cool WOTC Pokemon card singles, and of them was this jungle exeggcute.

It looks like an ink bubble? Just wondering the name for this kind of misprint/error card … or if that’s what it even is. The spot is flat, so it seems like it was definitely printed on the card. It’ll be a nice addition to my Jungle collection (:

PSA would consider it a (PD)9 if its mint. (Print defect)

2 Likes

Yeah, just an ink spot.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the responses!

I always like to imagine interesting names for print defects like this to make it sound something “official”. Like for this I’d call “Dot Aura” misprint. :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s a Dot Aura Misprint of Exeggcute!

2 Likes

I’m sold!!!

i have this exact same card with the error on it I will upload photos when I get off work it is kinda odd that that card has the same ink mark in the same place maybe new error card?

1 Like

Hmmm… thats pretty interesting. Can’t wait to see!

Some cards (e.g. Base Clefairy and Jungle Exeggcute) seem to have been more prone to ink bubbles.

1 Like

Here is an old post by Darkrai that gives exactly what these are:

We’ve seen them repeated before I believe, specifically with the “heart-stamped clefairy.” So this would just be another similar occurrence, rather than a new type of error or anything. We see this specific type quite often, particularly with older cards.

1 Like

It is definitely not a new type of error. The only ink blot card I can think of that is considered an error is the “d” edition butterfree. This one is collectible as the ink blot adds a level of uniqueness by making the “1st” look like a “d”. Objectively, a generic ink blot is negligible for the cards value. In fact, it will usually take your card down a grade or add a qualifier. But if it something that someone wants to collect, go for it.

3 Likes

Pfft, clearly you guys just don’t have a knack for super rare cards like the Dot Aura Misprints.

I mean, just look at it. It almost looks like a shining jewel encrusted into the card. As if an ugly egg pokemon wasn’t enough, they also went and made sure that a few of them had beautiful ink blots that resembled the grandest of treasures that you’d find off a copying machine that went AWOL.

Sarcasm aside.

I do think it’s interesting how some of these cards have “consistent” printing defects, like Highlight Snorlax.

2 Likes

Here is the pic. i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b484/boydtravis99/92A30808-1B71-4F48-84AD-E192386B232D_zpsutxz8zsc.jpg

1 Like

Yep same thing! Too bad the spot isn’t white instead of blue, then it could have been known as the eggy exeggcute error card (;