The Giant Pokémon non-TCG Identification Thread

Last month a seller who isn’t allowed to be named on E4 sold around 20 BGS-graded Pokémon Weekly cards for a total of just over $2,000. I made a post in the Market section to point out that these are all from the Pokémon Weekly box which could be picked up for $20, but in the 4 or 5 hours my post was up before being deleted all of the copies on Mercari had sold out, even the ones listed for $70. I’m sure in a month or so they will be readily available for $20 again.

I can’t link you to the post I made because a mod deleted it - apparently not only are you not allowed to mention the names of banned members but you’re also not allowed to do it to say “don’t buy this as you’re being ripped off”. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Here are what all 8 seasonal cards from the box I opened look like:

As I said before I have no idea if there is any variation to these.

2 Likes

@pichufan thanks for the pics, and also for the heads up… I had recently bought a few copies of the Lugia for $20 a piece in hopes that it would grade a 10 at BGS(1 copy to keep, and a few to sell after seeing what it went for at auction.) Didn’t realize that the entire box itself was only worth between $25-70… Yikes

@pichufan ,

‘The Pokemon Weekly’ cards weren’t only available in those boxes. Those boxes were specialty products. The cards were primarily released as vending cards.

As for the pricing discussion, people started realising how scarce they are (those boxes & the cards they contain).

As for the cards, take a look at this listing. The cards from that auction are not grade-worthy, nor did it contain a full box. Yet people still see the value in them. I would be extremely surprised if they retrace to the level they were at, when they are still relatively cheap. I don’t think the people buying them will lose any sleep over their purchases.

1 Like

@quuador ,

The items you have listed as ‘Henna tattoos’ are actually stickers. They appear on Mercari and Yahoo quite frequently.
Their webpage previously looked like this:

Edit: I don’t collect them, but they are still being produced…

1 Like

These stickers are from the Pokemon Kids series which are products that contain Pokemon finger puppets and stickers. Some sets had blind packaging (i.e. you didn’t know the Pokemon inside the box; you only knew what Pokemon were possible) while other sets came with a predetermined Pokemon.

In your example, the Seviper would have been found in the Pokemon Kids Best Wishes: Genosect Edition (ポケモンキッズベストウイッシュ~ゲノセクト編~). Here’s a gallery of the finger puppets that were possible from this box:

…and their associated stickers:

1 Like

While I unfortunately don’t have more information on whatever set this is from, I do have another card that appears to be from it, 045 Kireihana (Bellossom):

1 Like

Adding some other cards I possess but don’t have any info on and haven’t been able to identify. They do not appear to have already been documented in this thread:

"Pair cards" (2006)
I have several of these, which feature two Pokemon on each card:

Close-up example:

"STORY" cards (2006)
I also have a few of these, which feature Manaphy / a Manaphy egg and appear to be based on the Pokemon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea movie. Some elements of their design are also similar to the “Pair cards” above:

Close-up example:

"LAWSON" Pikachu the Movie 2000 card
This one is shaped more like, and almost feels like, a business card rather than a standard trading card:

Unknown “POWER” card:
I’ve had this “holo” one since the late 90’s or early 2000’s. Very cool artwork and colors. Its paper material is thinner than standard trading cards, and it has almost no text on it that could be used to identify it:

4 Likes

If I’m not wrong these are the Bandai Carddass Zukan cards, with release ranging from 2003-2005.

Here’s a video of someone opening some of the cards in the set(s):
www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKfq_uK0Of4

4 Likes

I’ve been working on this checklist for keeping track of my Pokémon card collection, and noticed on Bulbapedia’s article for a Topps card series known as Top 10 Collector Cards that there is very little info on the set at all, and only really mentions the kind of cards released in the set (e.x Pokémon, Die-Cut, ect). I tried googling this set to only come up to a forum post asking about info on the set not on this site that no one responded to, and that had some images of the set’s promotional images of things like the box and such. I tried the archives of the Topps site too through the Wayback Machine (archive.org), and on the Entertainment page on there 2006 site found the Pokémon link, but clicking it gave an access forbidden by the Wayback Machine itself. I last tried the UK version of the site from the time to just find that the page was “temporary” judging the orange text on the left with the only links to the right being of no help to my search at all, and not having to do with there Pokémon cards. I’m wondering if anyone knows anything at all about this set, if it was even released at stores.

In general the Topps releases of Pokémon cards are kind of scarce, with the most info out there for a Topps set was the original series, and the one for the first movie. Seems like all of the Topps Pokémon cards released since are hard to find much info on.

I’m not sure if I could post the link to that forum post, and the Bulbapedia article on here. BTW the only Topps Pokémon cards I own are some of the ones from the original sets before the first movie cards, and a few of the movie cards including one of those 35mm film cards from the Pokemon Movie 2000 that included the actual still from the film reels that the movie was on for theatres that only has a 1:35 chance to get in these packs at the time apparently.

The promotional image of the set's boxPamplet of the set (idk where the og source for these images are btw)

1 Like

I’ve added some new cards/stickers in the first two posts that I received from @azulryu , @thane and @accio . Thanks again.:blush:
I will add all the information everyone posted in this second page to the main two posts later on.

I will also leave these two links here, so I don’t forget to add them later on as well:

www.elitefourum.com/t/what-are-these-vintage-japanese-cards/31031/1
www.elitefourum.com/t/1999-pokemon-stadium-bandai-jumbo-cards-anyone-have-info/30981/1

Greetz,
Quuador

4 Likes

Greetings everyone!

I’m hoping someone here can help me with a Carddass set I’m sooo close to completing. The set is called ジャンボカードダス ポケットモンスター チップシュー夕ー2 ハーフチップ in Japan and translated it is Jumbo Carddas Pokémon Chip Shooter 2 Mezzo Chip…I just call them half chip cards haha.

Image below is of the advertisement.

The way the set was set up was there were 17 jumbo sheets composed of 10 half chip cards for a total of 170. Images below show what the jumbo sheets look like.

Of the 170 cards, 151 are the original Gen 1 Pokemon. This leaves us with 19 bonus Key Item cards. I own 11 of these and know of 4 others which I’ve listed out below.

1. SS Ticket
  2. Bicycle
  3. Coin Case
  4. Silph Scope
  5. Poke Flute
  6. Clefairy Doll
  7. Silph Co Card Key
  8. Exp. All
  9. Not sure what the bottom right corner item is called :rage:

1. Item Finder
  2. Gold Teeth

And here are two someone online sent me and two I found on a YA listing.

1. Oak’s Parcel

2. Secret Key

3. Rocket’s Hideout Lift Key

4. Town Map

There are four more items left. If the pattern continues, they should be Key Items from Red and Blue which means they could be any of these. Personally, I think it’s the rods and the Pokedex.

Dome Fossil
Helix Fossil
Old Amber
Pokedex
Old Rod
Good Rod
Super Rod

Any help with this mystery would be much appreciated. I would love to know what else I need to finally complete this set and see some pictures of the final four items.

Thank you!

3 Likes

You reminded me, to help a local that was moving, I bought all of their TFG on clearance. So I have box full of N. I. P. figures.

Hey there,
just a quick reply for number 9. The picture is not very sharp, but the item could be “秘伝マシン(いあいぎり)”, which would be in English “Hidden Machine (Cut)”.

Concerning the four missing cards I totally have no clue. I saw an auction on yahoo some time ago which stated that it would include all cards of the set, but unfortunately can’t remember the single cards. However, I will watch out for them and let you know if I find some information.

Best regards from Germany,
Martin

Thank you so much! That was very helpful…I never knew that’s what HMs look like haha

First of all, awesome and very useful thread thank you!

I’d like to add some informations I gathered from my personal collection and I think is missing here:

• For the Merlin Pokémon Stickers, the foil stickers can have different foils for the same pokémon (in the picture 2 different foils, I have discovered 2 more that I ordered and still waiting for)

• A Magikarp 2018 Japanese Sticker from the campaign “My 151”. Here is a quote I found for more informations:

• 2 Japanese sticker sheets that I don’t have much information on.

1 Like

For this two, they are from the 1999 Sealdass Fancy Graffiti Part 2 and 1998 Sealdass Part 3 respectively.

1 Like

Bandai Carddass (part 3 and 4) Jumbo promo card.

As PSA is reluctant to authenticate/grade this card I hope posting the current info will trigger others to provide more evidence.
When you are also an owner of this card please provide your history of this card.

I bought this card on Ebay on 17 sep 2018 ( I know the previous owner by name/email )

It’s a Bandai Special Promo Jumbo Carddass Pikachu card to promote Part 3 and 4. This Part 3 and 4 are known in PSA’s population report under: TCG Cards 1997 Pocket Monsters Carddass :www.psacard.com/pop/tcg-cards/1997/pocket-monsters-carddass/114726

So it’s not the card known under this POP report as #025 Pikachu-Prism.

It was given to participants of the 1997 Tokyo Toy show, held at the Tokyo International Exhibition Center(Tokyo Big Sight Inc.) from March 19th to 23rd (General Open Day is 22nd and 23rd).

Documentation reference:

Pokeboon Japan : pokeboon.com/about-the-series-of-a-bandai-pokemon-carddass/
’97 Tokyo Toy Show info(Copyright (c) by Hiroshi Tsujimura): www.na.rim.or.jp/~tsupo/event/toyshow97.html
Pokemon Carddass Bandai info(Copyright (c) by Hiroshi Tsujimura):: www.na.rim.or.jp/~tsupo/hobby/card/lists/pocketMonster/

For the My151, this is what the binder and set of cards looks like.

There’s also a My251 and another 251 card/stickers that goes with that promotion.

1 Like

Does anyone have any kind of information on these gold pokemon banknotes? Where, when, and how they were distributed? I wasn’t able to find out anything about them.

1 Like

I’ll be posting my updates here from now on as I try to piece together more information from my non-TCG collection. I’ve found this thread really encouraging to identify the random assortment of stuff I’ve had over the years when I share it instead of just posting pictures, the name of the card, and then nothing. So thank you again for having this thread.

These cards are popularly called Menko Cards or Kakumen Retsuden Cards and were sold as a type of “lottery” prize at certain stores:

The set is from the Pokemon Advanced Generation series and as far as I’ve seen, Generations 1, 2, and 3 have been featured thus far. There are different “Parts” for each set (So far can confirm Part 1, 2, 3, & 4 - there might be a Part 5).

They came in these little bags to ensure the anonymity:

With rules on the back of the packs on how to play the game for the cards:

Most cards have a foil backing, but the color of the foil backing varies:

The game itself is very much akin to Rock-Paper-Scissors, you can even see this on the “fists” on the back of each card. The game is extremely popular in Japanese culture so it’s no surprise that it’s featured here.

According to the link I found (shared below), there are 70 types of “normal” non-holo menko, 25 types of rare foil menko (the foil back)**, and 5 types of special menko with a holo front on the image. I don’t know if this pertains to each “Part” or if it’s for the entire set.

Here’s an example of the Special Menko card with Mewtwo:

ポケモンメンコ - Pokemon Menko (this will provide the majority of search results though you get a bunch of Batomen, Coin, and other results on google)

ポケモンかくめん烈電 - Pokemon Kakumen Retsuden (will give you a more precise search)

Most helpful site I found was this one which shows Part 4 & 3 when you scroll down:

blog.livedoor.jp/divajoanne/archives/cat_724020.html

**As a side note: I have yet to see a non-foil back Menko card so it might be a mistranslation or misunderstanding on my side when I was talking about the different types.

4 Likes