The Destroyed/Lost Card Megathread

Hello everyone,

I thought it would be interesting and informative (population-wise) to create a megathread for all of the cards that have ever been lost or destroyed. This thread is specifically for cards that you know have been destroyed or lost in the mail. An example of a destroyed card would be a card that burned up in a fire or decimated in a shredder. An example of a lost card is a card that was lost in the mail, but excluding cards that were suspected targets of fraud or theft. Please do not include cards that you lost in the couch as a kid and most likely found a year later :slight_smile:

Let me know your horror stories and we can all bask in sadness together. Stay strong team
:cry: + :dark_sunglasses: = :sunglasses:

If you can’t relate to this thread consider yourself lucky, and as always, happy collecting! :blush:

My horror stories:

I’ll start, as I recently lost two separate cards in the mail :smiling_face_with_tear:

The first card that was lost in the mail was a Reverse Holo Warp Point 85/95 from EX Team Magma vs Team Aqua. I bought this card on ebay and noticed that it stopped making any progress on the tracker. I reached out to the seller and they filed a missing package report with USPS and nothing ever came of it. The seller refunded me the money, but I’m sad because this card is hard to find in mint condition.

The second card that was lost in the mail was an Erika’s Vileplume 5/132 from Gym Heroes also purchased from ebay and shipped via USPS. I’m really bummed because this card is a minor holo shift (easiest to see if you look at the top of the holo pattern) which are much harder to find than normal cards and only exist in a very limited capacity. To make it even more painful, this card was marked as “DELIVERED GARAGE/ALT LOCATION AT ADDRESS”. I have a video camera at the front door and can confirm that the card never reached my doorstep. The garage is on the back of the house and unfortunately I do not have any video surveillance back there, but I checked everywhere around my house the same day and was never able to find the card. I even went around to my neighbors’ houses to see if it was sitting at any of their garages but was unable to find it. It rains a lot where I live as well (it was even raining when it was supposedly delivered), so it doesn’t even make sense for packages to be left at the garages here. We have locked mailboxes and I ALWAYS get packages in the mailbox. I’m not sure what was different this day, but the card is as good as gone. I have had packages delivered to the wrong address multiple times here but they are always returned by my neighbors so I do not suspect foul play.

I feel like this thread will be too painful to read but all i’m saying is that somewhere a dumpster is having a really notable Komiya collection

2 Likes

I lost my entire childhood collection from my basement flooding in 2012 from Hurricane Sandy. Only a few commons and Yugioh cards survived because they were in a box higher up. Binder with all my holos was fully submerged. Then after a few weeks we got a dumpster and threw out everything that was damaged in the basement, including my binder.

1 Like

Do you want to give the thread a sad look?
Or can i list down all the cards I tore in half just for the fun of doing It

Haven’t had too many issues with the mail. This is one of my worst cases of damaged done by the mail:

Seller sandwiched the cards between a few other cards and some thin cardboard.

The cards in question. This was in late 2016. In hindsight I wish I hadn’t sold these, but I wanted to recoup some of my spent money.

3 Likes

RIP

5 Likes

Go straight to jail, do not pass GO, do not collect $200 :rage:

4 Likes

Were you refunded by the seller?

Ah this hurts so much, those are beautiful holos…

RIP. Was it lost recently?

Unfortunately, I was not refunded. I bought through the Dutch version of eBay/Craigslist, which didn’t have any form of buyer protection at the time. The seller basically just told me I’m SOL. I think it was also more accepted to just mail cards sandwiched between cardboard at that time (I was already happy if cards were sent in sleeves…). They implied they already went above and beyond by using a bubble mailer.

But yeah, beautiful holo’s, even with the crease they would look great in a binder!

1 Like

Damn that sucks. These days I can’t imagine cards not being sent in either toploaders or card savers :frowning_face:

Yep few weeks ago. First graded card to have this happen. Lost a few raw cards to the USPS black hole as well.

1 Like

So sorry to hear that. Have you found a replacement yet? :star_struck:

1 Like

Yep lol. I have a few to send that are grade worthy fortunately.

1 Like

Found a TRR Dark ampharos reverse, psa9 right before prices jumped. Seller shipped it, bubble mailer arrives sealed but nothing inside of it. Seller swears they packed it and refunded me but neither of us have any idea where the card went. Still bummed that it got lost since I really wanted it for my ampharos collection and the card had an amazing swirl on it and looked great.

2 Likes

:sob: :sob: :sob:

Man that sucks, at least the seller was honest about it…

As a younger lad the only zard I ever pulled was a reverse holo LC. When Yugioh became my main squeeze i pledged my allegiance to blue eyes and ignored Pokemon. One day i cut that same zard in half. Dont ask me why I did it but it still hirts to this day. I remember being disappointed it wasnt holo too :nauseated_face:

1 Like

There have been a few I just straight up lost years ago when I wasn’t so careful but luckily nothing super valuable:

• A PSA 10 2014 Charizard EX Wild Blaze
  • A champions path charizard vmax
  • 50 stack of black star non Holo mew promos (weirdest of all).
1 Like