The Content Creator Megathread

@ripguyfawkes, my statement was just to emphasize the reach.

whether you watched the fight or not, paid for it or not, you would have heard about it and the Charizard aspect of it is all. But I understand what you are saying.

1 Like

The sentiment was my main point. If it sells for 1M then it’s worth 1M and it just is what it is, but until then it’s just some big number thrown out by the hype beast owner

2 Likes

I’m not even sure of that though. I recently watch Charlie’s hilarious summary of the event, and he didn’t mention the Charizard at all. This is somewhat surprising because Charlie has been opening tons of Pokemon and Yugioh cards in the past year and is mostly aware of the current craze, graded cards etc… So maybe the Charizard stunt is only aware to those who are actively looking for it
www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iB9_Cgfefc

Ok, then how should he have answered the question? I think “1 million dollars” is a bit catchier in an interview than going into the detailed nuances between PSA and BGS, the sale history of the card and how scarcity can affect a collectibles market. The whole point of the event is to create entertainment, not to have a technical fight and discuss the economics of pokemon.

A million is not even disingenuous, I would ballpark it there and that price is only made less meaningful knowing that Mayweather alone was paid 10s of millions of dollars just for appearing at the event. Yes, he’s a biased opinion and yes, the number was mostly made up but we’re really picking petals here. Not to mention the fact that the card appearing as such a focal point in such a public event probably multiplied the potential value.

3 Likes

I think the real real question is how much did that iced out slab holder necklace cost? And where can I get one for my buzzwoles?

4 Likes

Put it around your arita auto card and slap it on ebay for 2 mil

1 Like

Thanks @pichufan for the mention and kind words.

7 Likes

- YouTube_Wc

I love Shining Tyranitar, such a great card

1 Like

www.dexerto.com/pokemon/mizkif-stunned-after-losing-thousands-on-pokemon-cards-1592054/

Content creator learns pack fresh does not mean 10

11 Likes

These people genuinely believe the psa 10 prices listed in pack opening videos :dizzy_face:

2 Likes

I’m out of the loop on this one… Did he purchase a few booster boxes? Could barely make out that front CGC slab, looked like a Dark Charizard.

I don’t follow him but I do know he opened a first ed neo genesis box back in November or December and pulled the Lugia. It was a big deal at the time for sure.

Edit: www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTktO3lw4oQ

1 Like

I watch miz and watched him get these back on stream, I think he’s just playing up the “loss” for views (since he definitely made up for it in views and new viewers on the box opening).

Or he really thought he could get a bunch of CGC 10s who knows.

1 Like

if you buy early 2000s pokemon and expect to get 10s, you’re gonna have a real bad time. That’s like week 1 knowledge

Found and watched the full 20+ minute clip of Mizkif’s return, and was shocked to be honest. He graded those cards with CGC, but kept calling them PSA 9s, 9.5s, 10s - not sure if that was a mistake or pure ignorance. I’m pretty sure those cards in the grades he got were worth a decent bit of money (I don’t know how much, if anything though, since I don’t pay attention to graded WotC prices) though he was claiming they were worthless (probably for views) and even threw one of the Steelix over his shoulder (also probably for views). The prices he was quoting was for PSA 10s and 9s (and he overinflated 10 prices and undercut 9 prices), which makes me believe he doesn’t understand the difference between the grading companies. And then to sit in misbelief and tell his audience “Pokemon is a scam” because he didn’t even do the most basic level of research on grading or vintage card conditions…it baffles me to no end.

Maybe its my own personal biases showing from my distaste for the big variety streamer/pack ripping/box breaking/“grade everything” hype side of the hobby, but the sort of ignorance that leads to poor and uneducated decisions (financially or otherwise) really grinds my gears. I understand it’s not my money, I know I’m presenting a very opinionated and emotional argument here. However, gambling $100k+ while making more money than that off the videos showcasing the actual gambling, mishandling those cards and expecting PSA 10 grades while telling your audience they are pristine and making money off those videos as well, splitting the cards into two different submissions (double the returns means double the streams, which means double the money), submitting those cards not to PSA but to CGC, complaining they are worthless once they are graded in lower than expected grades by quoting PSA grades/prices and not CGC (and knowing nothing about the PSA or CGC grading guidelines to boot) while, again, making money on the streams exaggerating a $100k loss is, quite frankly and in all honesty, dirty.

If anyone can explain to me how this content is enjoyable in any way other than “it’s funny”, I’d honestly like to hear your opinion. I may hate the content but that doesn’t mean I hate the people who consume it.

3 Likes

Can you link?

1 Like

I mean, looking at this from the outside without any knowledge can seem like absolute scam. Why would you spent x amount on a piece of cardboard?

The dude didnt know anything about how grading works, which sets are more valuable to grade, etc. He just bought some wotc boxes at last’s year peak and assumed everything would go 10.

Here’s the link of Mizkif:

YouTube_D1V07TDRbw

Spoiler: he throws PSA slabs around.

1 Like

He clearly doesn’t know shit and is just in it for the content boost.
Though, it’s another datapoint to reinforce my theory that a CGC 9 is undervalued.

Being able to see all those Aquapolis and Neo Destiny slabs :open_mouth:

1 Like