Target halts trading card sales at stores after gun pulled

www.yahoo.com/sports/target-halts-sports-pokemon-trading-card-sales-after-fight-breaks-out-050501463.html

As the saying goes… don’t bring a gun to a card fight.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

2 Likes

Yall gotta fucking chill, this is literally shiny cardboard

13 Likes

MODERN shiny cardboard…

People are crazy :sob:

7 Likes

What’re you in for

10 Likes

2 Likes

The only difference between us now and 20 years ago is testosterone and easier access to guns.

25 Likes

It doesn’t actually change the substance of this story, but the cards that prompted the violent incident were sports cards. This is even more pathetic because who gives a shit about football cards.

This situation really sucks though. I feel so sad for kids who just can’t participate in this hobby right now. The joy of picking up a pack of cards at the store is just gone.

4 Likes

Printed by the drove! Pop 1k plus Zards of each high grade. Sign me up lol :joy:

3 Likes

sounds like it was the victim who drew and ceased the 4 man beat down against him…because a 4 v 1 assault over kids’ trading cards in a store just isn’t enough to grab the headline?

2 Likes

@gengaranimal

Doesn’t seem like anyone is questioning the man who pulled the gun.

The fact is that Target and nearby stores went into lock down, probably because a gun was involved.

Just because someone has a CC doesn’t mean bystanders aren’t in danger when it is needing to be used. No telling if the guy is a good shot or not. I know I wouldn’t want to be standing around.

I’d be willing to bet that if it was just a fist fight brawl, the card sales wouldn’t be halted.

Yes. This is important. The person who pulled the gun was in self-defense. The four men who assaulted him were arrested.
It’s silly over TCG cards but for other people they don’t have a connection to the trading cards. The art, the story, the player legacy (in case of sports), etc. They see the cards as a means to make money, and we all know well enough how desperate some can be for more money. This is further exacerbated by the fact that many flippers, scalpers, etc are unemployed and if they don’t get these cards they could possibly miss out on rent or other bills. I don’t feel sorry for them of course as they should find a new line of work.

Or if they are collecting unemployment and side hustling cards for a serious income I really hope they get busted for unemployment fraud.

2 Likes

@pokenoob, please don’t interpret my post as having anything to do with the politics of gun laws. What I’m saying is there was an assault involving 5 men over kids’ cards. Isn’t yet another incident of a physical altercation over cards ridiculous enough? Now in reality, this is probably more about money than cards, as we all know, since the cards are probably a means to a financial end in this case, not collecting. And do you have any idea how many people are walking around concealed in most states, and how many may have fired under the same circumstances? If the focus is on the gun element of this, one can spin the story both in support of and against, interestingly enough. I won’t comment further on your points since it would be a political discussion.

1 Like

The irony of this is that target will most likely divert the stock to their warehouses that fulfil their online orders. So their online restocks will likely be larger but target.com is also infested with bots…

Maybe. By the sounds of it, this guy could have been seriously injured if he wasnt carrying.

2 Likes

Punish everyone because a few people are douchebags. If I had to guess, someone was hoarding product and someone else didn’t like it. Regardless, jumping a guy 4v1? Really lucky they didn’t get shot.

3 Likes

I’m waiting for the headline “Pokemon brawl breaks out at local Target over a pack battle. Both Pokemon are injured. Gyarados trainer vows revenge.”

3 Likes

Brings a new meaning to single and rapid strike

6 Likes

I wasn’t making any allusion to politics, I was giving my thoughts on why the gun is what the headlines is about.

I doubt the news breaks out of Milwaukee without that element. People get robbed all the time. If 4 people jumped someone (over any other products for that matter), it would not causes store lockdowns, and would not cause said products to be pulled from stores.

I don’t understand, like you don’t even make a ton of money from flipping products from target. You are limited to only a few items, you are waiting in line/camping outside for hours on end sometimes, and at the end of it all after selling fees and shipping costs, you probably could have made the same amount of if not more money working at minimum wage job at McDonald’s.

13 Likes

They probably feel like they’re in the know, outsmarting others and beating the system.

Or they want to feel like they’re working for themselves.

Ego is powerful drug

3 Likes