Streaming Setup

Was hoping some of you more technologically savvy people can share what equipment you use to stream. Looking for a setup to stream some box/package openings & grading subs from my phone. Any feedback/suggestions would help!

If you’re streaming from your phone then there isn’t as much setup required as if you were streaming from a PC. I’m not sure what platform you intend on streaming to but I would recommend getting a phone tripod (you can find them on Amazon) which will make it stable since your hand won’t be jiggling it all over the place. Once you get the phone in the tripod then you can plug it into the charger and it should be good to go.

1 Like

Do you use anything supplemental for lighting or to improve sound quality?

For desktop setup if you wanna go beyond a phone:

OBS
Audio interface with XLR inputs like Focusrite Scarlett
XLR condenser microphone like AT2020
Microphone arm
USB ringlight
For high quality video, using a DSLR or mirrorless camera like Sony a6000
Wide angle lens to cover lots of desk area
Elgato Camlink 4k to turn your DSLR/mirrorless camera to a webcam

And a tripod that can point down at your desk. Or if you want to film in front of you then you can use any tripod.

3 Likes

I don’t stream so unfortunately I don’t know about those :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you are just trying to stream off your phone, then grab a tripod and tripod phone mount. Just grab both from Amazon, there are usually some solid sales. Make sure it fits your size phone. The mic on your phone should be fine, just make sure it isn’t too close to you and you’re breathing into it. Also look at a ring light or two, they usually go on sale regularly on Amazon. They help a lot. Just have fun then. Download the Twitch or Youtube app or whatever platform you plan to stream on. Youtube more involved because I believe you have to meet some requirements where Twitch is just make an account I’m pretty sure. I haven’t had to deal with that in years so I can’t remember.

If you decide to pursue streaming more then getting a dedicated camera and microphone would be a good idea. I’ve been using the Logitech C920x HD Pro Webcam some and it has been working great with pretty good quality. This requires a pc or laptop though. OBS is the best program to use streaming and there are tons of Youtube videos explaining it easily and showing it.

2 Likes

Personally, I use the following:

Elgato Key Light (I use 2.)
Sony ZV-1 Camera (I use this as my “hands” camera, but it’s probably a bit overkill. It’s an awesome camera with insanely fast auto focus. That being said, I probably would reassess this purchase now that the Insta360 Link webcam is out; I am going to look into upgrading my “face” camera to this soon, as it has great quality and awesome auto focus. Getting a couple of these might work out really well.)
Camera Capture Card (Needed if using a camera with micro HDMI to HDMI. This is max 1080p 30fps output, but it’s such a great capture card for the price; I’ve been using mine about a year. There is no detectable input lag with it, which is great. That being said, you could go higher end and get El Gato’s CamLink, which has up to 4k 30fps (can do 1080 60fps, too).)
Micro HDMI to HDMI Cable (This is the cable I use for micro HDMI to HDMI with my Sony ZV-1.)
Gooseneck Phone Mount (I actually use this for my Sony ZV-1; it can work with a variety of devices. That being said, I currently have the gooseneck mount clamped to something other than my desk so that I can get a higher view.)
Logitech C920s Webcam (I use the older C920 that I got probably around 2013ish for my “face” camera. As said above, I will soon likely upgrade to a better webcam.
HyperX QuadCast S Microphone (I use this mic for all things, including streaming and video recording. I love it, and I love how it has a capacitive touch mute button so you can mute on the fly.)
Stream Labs Software (I use Stream Labs for livestreaming to Twitch, but it will stream to other sites, as well. The software is good for recording, too. I find it very useful, decently easy to use, and great for the price (free); though you can always upgrade to their pro version, but I find no point.)

All this being said, if you aren’t looking to stream all the time (or make videos all the time), it might not be worth you buying key lights, assuming your lighting is pretty decent (and depending on the camera you use). I understand not wanting to invest a good chunk of money on streaming equipment, especially upfront when you don’t know if you will want to keep streaming/making videos for years to come. Generally, phones nowadays can capture good video quality with various lighting. Depending on the phone, you can capture live feed from your camera (such as by using an adapter such as Apple’s AV Adapter). That being said, you still may need an HDMI cable and an HDMI capture card. Also, phones can generally capture good audio quality, as well. You might find that all you need to get started is the an app on your phone (such as Twitch or Youtube), as well as the gooseneck mount listed above or something similar.

3 Likes