Spinch's Collection Update: PSA 10 1st Ed Squirtle/Blastoise

Heyy all so I have finally decided to create a thread about my collection. So when I started a few years back I was buying sets upon sets of base, jungle and fossil cards. When I received more cards I would always judge them against what I already had and tried to create the best condition 1st ed Base, Jungle, and Fossil sets that I could find. As I went on it was harder to find better condition cards than I already had and that’s when I discovered graded cards. This would be an invaluable albeit a very expensive finding. Since then I’ve almost exclusively been getting PSA cards (with a few ungraded ones to send off).

I decided that what I wanted to do was get the Fossil and Jungle sets in PSA 9 and then the Base set in at least PSA 8 (Although I’m trying to get a few PSA 9s atm…). Oh and I’m trying to complete the FPO cards from the expedition sets but you’ll hear more about them later. Along the way I have been getting a few other things from some other sets so I’ll post them as I go too. Anyway this has been my journey so far and hopefully we can fill up that display case! If you have any questions about anything don’t be afraid to ask.
Thanks,
Alex

Photos to come…

1 Like

I’ll start with how I’m displaying the cards + my near completed fossil set. I got the display online and shipped to Australia (costs more to ship than the actual item). I’ve always wanted to display the cards because I love looking at them and when I had them stored away I wasn’t enjoying them as much. Pretty happy with this purchase. It fits 50 cards so just enough for my 1st ed base, jungle, and fossil sets.

So first up I’ll introduce my fossil set. Atm I have got every card except gengar (just can’t find a good price on it atm) but I’m watching an auction ending Monday, so fingers crossed. Every one but 2 are in psa 9 (muk and ditto is psa 10) but I can see myself upgrading to psa 10 sometime in the far future haha.

11 Likes

Display looks really nice.

Thanks mate :blush: it’ll look better when it’s filled one day haha

Anddd here’s my jungle 1st ed PSA set. It’s been fun collecting these over the past year as I’ve been mostly buying these 1-2 at a time. It gives me time to appreciate the new additions as they come instead of the whole set together. Anywho I’m nearly finished, only a couple to go.

6 Likes

So this is what I’ve got of my psa 8 1st edition base set. I got these all as singles and mainly from eBay auctions over the last year or so. Since this photo I’ve decided to collect a few 9s. At first I thought I would get the remainder that I needed in 9s… but now I’m thinking of getting them all in 9! An expensive decision haha

5 Likes

Please understand this isn’t me trying to have a go at you, it’s more of a concern than anything.

But I notice a lot of the labels in your PSA cases are quite wrinkled and warped. I know that they come back like this sometimes, but I raise the concern because your storage area might have too much humidity in it and if it can warp those labels it can warp those cards.

1 Like

Hey man cheers for that info I didn’t realise they could do that. I only got the display case about a month ago and we’ve just came out of winter. So I think they must have happened before me? I might have to look into this though as it can get quite hot here in the summer!i definitely don’t want the cards to get warped though :confused: Any advice?

EDIT: I’ve just noticed that quite a lot do have that so I’m going to investigate further! I might try finding my purchase history and check it out. Cheers.

What are the humidity levels like in your house? Remember that humidity isn’t just a Summer thing it’s also a Winter thing.

I am in Australia as well and I understand how hot it can get, I suggest checking out your display case and seeing if their are any build ups of moisture anywhere or any other damage that could be moisture related. I also implore you to invest in a humidifier.

1 Like

So I’ve taken all of the cards out of the display. Wow it really must have been the case. I would never have known! How would you suggest storing your cards then? Lucky some of my expensive cards haven’t arrived yet but still not the greatest for the ones that have been in there :slightly_frowning_face: (although I didn’t have them in for too long so they’re not too bad).

My PSA and more valuable raw cards are stored in a fire proof safe in an open wooden box, I replace the silica packets that absorb moisture once a month(as they lose effectiveness after a while and actually are a negative effect after they expire). I also have a humidifier in the room I store them in. I don’t have it on 24/7 but I put it on twice a week or when I know a rain or humidity spell is coming.

Before you rule out that display case completely, it may not have been the display case and as you said you are not the first owner of the cards. You may still be able to use the display case if you take some extra measures such as moisture capturing aides(silica packets or others) and a humidifer if you feel like the extra protection.

2 Likes

Got these 4 beauties. They’re just the start of my PSA 9 BASE collection with a few more on the way! Thanks to @garyis2000 for the purchase!

5 Likes

Well I finally did it. Who would have thought I would ever spend this much money on one card. I just envisioned it getting further and further out of reach so I had to pull the trigger. Does it matter that I won’t have electricity or running water for the next few months? I think any collector can safely say… no.

Thanks to yet another forum member, @cullers, for helping me with my collection. :v:

5 Likes

Congrats @spinch really happy for ya mate. The day i got my 1st ed base zard was definitely a special one. Keep up the collection going. Btw how are you storijg your cards now? I think the problem with your display is the fact that the cards are enclosed (due to glass cover).

1 Like

Thanks! It’s definitely one of those cards that you can just stare at.

In regards to storage so I’ve temporarily put them in a container with those silica packets (bought a heap of them) but unsure as of yet. I’m thinking of putting a few of those silica packets inside of the case or/and making a hole for airflow (the front is actually plastic)… Atm there is 1 PSA card in there and I’m just testing it out. But I tell you it is something that I didn’t even contemplate as being a problem. I thought once they’re in the PSA case they would be protected against anything!

EDIT: I’m also going to invest in a dehumidifier but just researching the different brands and prices and such.

1 Like

Congrats on the Zard! Make sure you have enough money leftover to buy food lol

1 Like

Haha thanks mate! It’s touch and go atm but I’ll manage…just.

Alright so i bought these booster boxes a few months ago. When I was a kid my mum used to buy me one pack of cards every Saturday morning. Back then I was getting base/jungle/fossil. Anyway the plan was to open a pack every week like old times. 10 weeks later and this is what I’ve got so far out of the gym challenge box. I managed to get a holo on my 3rd, 6th, and 9th pull.

As for my 10th pull. Well one of, if not my all time favorite artwork is Sabrinas’s Gengar and all monetary value aside this was the card I wanted to pull above any other. So to get this was such a good feeling. I love the artwork on this it just looks amazing!

I’ll post the next 10 in 10 weeks :blush:

14 Likes

I love this idea! Can’t wait to see what you get in 10 weeks from now :blush:

1 Like

Thanks! it does make it fun and one booster box will last me 9 months. It’s a reward for a hard week’s worth every Saturday morning :blush:

1 Like