So desiccant packs are not enough to stop moisture damage...

Maybe I should’ve watched Scott’s video, but as it stands it seems like a lot of what people are doing is storing them in BCW boxes. However I think from here on out it should be more than just a lesson learned and catalog in anyway who was affected and file a complaint with PSA, because from the general view point PSA graded cards are meant to keep cards secure and safe and if they can’t do just that then why invest? Let me know how we should move forward.

i.imgur.com/vZOVZhD.jpg

I cannot pin point the damage on the Umbreon. Can you point it out please? Thank you

The left corner is raised and the border has a slight warped look.

sorry to say @subbasshead but I can guarantee PSA isnt going to take any responsibility for your cards being stored in a none climate controlled bathroom in a fireproof safe. They protect the cards from being scratched or chipped and protect consumers by authenticating the cards and giving them a grade based on condition. They cant expected to protect your cards from the elements. If someone had a flood or a fire they arent they going to reach out to PSA because their cards weren’t protected, I think same rule applies here.

So @nysyr, just to verify… is your current residence not air conditioned or climate controlled? I’m just curious if that was the purpose of the safe or if it was additional protection.

I’m guessing a good way to prevent this is simply to open your storage once in a while and try to keep the temperature regulated. I keep my cards in a cool finished basement that is air conditioned during the summer months. I last checked my cards a few weeks ago. Guess I should check in on them more often.

It was stored in a closet with bulk which was fine…

I should note all of them were in perfect fit sleeves as well so the only penetration was coming from the small area at the top…

I’ve kept a large portion of my graded cards in my fire/waterproof gun safe for years without any problems. I use the same method @gottaketchumall mentioned and I’ve never had a problem. I use metal canister desiccants that change from orange to green when filled with moisture (I never let them turn green). Once every week I open my safe and every 2-4 weeks I reactivate my desiccants in the oven, even if they haven’t turned green.

I learned my lesson the hard way on this subject. When I first purchased my safe it was for my weapons and not my collection. I didn’t read the instructions, I tossed out the silica desiccant pack that was provided with the safe, then I filled up the safe and locked it up. Months later I opened the safe to find rust on my items… I’m still mad at myself to this day.

5 Likes

This is extremely unfortunate for anyone who had cards damaged this way. It would be enough to make a person exit collectibles altogether.

I’m looking forward to hearing what @silversnorlax204 has to say on this topic. Also, it would be nice to hear from other who have highly valuable collections.

For me, I want to protect my collectibles from humidity, fire and theft. I can address any of these issues individually. For example, I can use a dry cabinet to control humidity, I can use a small media vault to protect against fire and I can use a safe to protect against theft. How do I combine these three individual solutions and create an all-encompassing solution?

Your banks safety deposit box would be a solution to all 3. I realize for some people storing your collectibles at a location other than your home is a huge downside. It does add a lot of peace of mind though. My home was burglarized 3 days ago. I was glad to have my most valuable cards safely stored away.

3 Likes

@nateg, is it humidy controlled?

My banks vault is in a basement with forced hot air heating and AC. So yes, but that would be a good thing to inquire about.

I’d imagine so since people store valuables there.

It doesn’t appear bank vaults are usually temperature or humidity controlled. So the bank vault doesn’t provide a complete solution.

Well if Scott, Gary, and Gemmint can keep their gajillion dollar collections safe I’m sure we can find a way. Anyways, I bought one of those silica gel color changing canister deals you guys were talking about.

Lol. My secret?

Move to the dry desert…shhhhhh.

6 Likes

Lol. True. My skin felt amazing in Vegas. I would suggest getting a hygrometer to measure the humidity. Maybe place it in a safe. Could do an experiment where you measure the humidity with and without a dehumidifier. I’d be curious to know the humidity in NySyr safe. Apparently once humidity reaches 65% paper starts to collect water.

1 Like

Nysyr, that is super frustrating.
I just barely purchased a water/fire resistant safe for my cards. I live in Utah, so I’m hoping I don’t have similar issues :crossed_fingers:t3:
Do you think it would help to store PSA slabs in corrugated boxes and then into the safe? Or would the moisture get in their no matter what?

The image in the original post is actually from Arizona soooooo…

@pkmnflyingmaster,
Can’t explain it then. I’ve got cards everywhere you could imagine and never had anything close to that happen?