Skyridge Grading Questions

Hi eFour,

I couldn’t think of a better place to ask.

The Backstory: I’m looking at selling up most of my collection come next year for some life plans and i’m unsure of what to do. So, I have a Skyridge master set, some of you may remember me posting about it when I first joined.
I’ve graded the crystals and I will definitely be doing the holos/reverse holo rares this year.
But, I’m curious about whether or not I should do the full reverse set. The cards are in mint/gem mint condition. Most would get 9s, a few 10s, and a few 8’s here and there.

The Crossroad: Is this going to be something to hard to find a buyer for? Ideally I’d want to sell the complete master in one go. It doesn’t have to be overnight, i’d be prepared for a 3 - 6 month journey to find the right buyer for the right price.
I would look at splitting the set into Holos / Reverse Holos / Non holo set / Crystals, but I wouldnt want to do that until very late in the process.

I have factored in grading costs and all of that.

So, mr/mrs reader, is this something you would buy?

Because personally, i’d never buy something like this, i’m just lucky enough to be in this position in the first place.

My thoughts: I think it would be to hard to find a buyer for the whole set, and might be better to leave raw. As I would want a lot of money for the set depending on the grades of course.

Thanks for reading and i’d apppreciate any feedback, negative or positive.

Kiwi

Im sure you would find a buyer comes down to how much you want for the set, condition and how fast you want to sell. A true master set would be hard to price… would be cool to see at an auction.

1 Like

You could try picking out only the 10 likely ones and grading them first. Charlie at Ludkins grading will even double check your pregrading and do all the work for you:)

2 Likes

You will have a much harder time selling a master that is graded than ungraded, IMO, but potentially getting more money depending on the grades. Graded crystals alone will be no problem. Graded holos especially since they will be an 8/9/10 split will make it harder yet and then adding in reverse holos that are 8/9/10 you’ve dropped your potential buyer pool from hundreds then to dozens to maybe a few at best especially given you are going to be looking for a decent premium (rightfully so) on all the 10’s.

Honestly part of the reason it will be more difficult to sell the set graded is that you will erase a pool of buyers that would be looking to buy for profit which isn’t a bad thing if you can get that extra profit for yourself.

Taking that into consideration your best bet given your time horizon is to optimize for profit yourself and send every regular holo that looks 9+ and sell the rh set raw and complete as well as the non holo set raw. If you really have loads of time to sit on some (many months up to couple years) you can even split the rh set and grade all 10’s selling the rest individual. They do well separate for people finishing that tough set. List everything as BIN OBO asap and slowly get the best money you can out of each. You will earn 2x this fashion over what you would selling it all in one go in a mix of grades or raw especially considering the extra money and time you’d be dumping into fees for grading all that extra stuff.

Once the life event is on the very near horizon you will have much less time and the best way to ensure not getting what your cards are worth are to be in a hurry to sell them. You do not want to put yourself in the position of needing to sell quickly.

3 Likes

I would buy the 25 I have left.

I’ve graded 3 Skyridge Reverse Sets with a 4th going out soon. Expect a lot of 8s and near perfect 9s. At this point it would have been more affordable to pay $100+/card for every card (factoring in acquisition cost) in a 10.

The 10s will sell for healthy prices, although you’ll get far less 10s than you expect. Skyridge has minuscule corner nicks that PSA has been consistently docking a grade for. They scratch easily, etc.

I would over scrutinize your cards before sending. Otherwise, we can build a full PSA 8 set together.

1 Like

Perhaps you could grade all 10 candidates then purchase raw nm-m cards to fill their gaps and sell the set.
Then sell all 10s seperate.

1 Like

The best way to sell if you’d like to maximize your profit is to do what the member above described, send the PSA 10 candidates for grading, sell them graded and then buy NM raw cards to then sell the ungraded set as whole. You’re most likely looking at more than 3-6 months to make this happen though. I could be wrong but I don’t think you’ll get a premium from selling everything as a ‘master set’. You will get the same from selling the regular set as one and then the reverse as another. This can enable to cash in faster on the first half of the collection you succeed to complete raw (after sending the Gem candidates for grading).

1 Like

Hey everyone,

Thanks alot for your replies. It gives me alot of insight as to what I want to do.

After re-reading everyones paragraphs multiple times I have decided to grade the H1-H32’s.

For the reverse holo cards, I will go through each card in which I think can be a PSA10 and sell off individually and replace. I was looking at pokemonprice.com and saw a PSA10 Oracle sold at 1100usd (best offer accepted). That is just madness to me.

Anyways, maybe I will update this thread in a few months to let you know how I got on.

Thanks again for everyone who took the time to reply to me, I really appreciate it.

Kiwi

4 Likes

Goodluck bro

1 Like

Sometimes the best way to get a sale is to leave a little bit of wiggle room for the next guy to make something.

Be sure to post some updates; there are some reverses i would like to have in a PSA case, just cause of the artwork- been thinking about casing mine, but the set(s) look great in a binder.

I’d grade the ones that are ‘popular’ (a.i. oracle, umbreon, Pikachu etc.) if they are mint enough -just buying it as a while binder/master set is what I would go for (as acrazy E-series) collector