Should Pokémon consider serialised cards?

Given the hype over the MTG LOTR One Ring Card, should Pokémon start considering releasing serialised cards in future releases?

I currently only buy singles of modern, as I’m sure a large percentage of collectors do on here. However if serialised cards were introduced in booster boxes would this increase the demand even further coaxing back in the single collectors to booster box purchasing?

2 Likes

I hope not. I like the approach that Pokemon has taken, driving demand through stunning artworks rather than artificial scarcity. I’m sure serialized cards would drive a frenzy among the flipper crowd, but I don’t think it would be healthy for the long term.

29 Likes

Personally, it would turn me off for modern. There is already so much natural demand for product so I don’t see the Pokemon Company feeling pressure to create that level of artificial scarcity.

I think it’s special that the rarest cards in the hobby are pieces of history that were generally given away for free. Serialized cards feel like a money grab.

15 Likes

Magic needs artificial hype and scarcity, Pokémon surely doesn’t

15 Likes

Still want this to happen!

27 Likes

I don’t see any incentive for Pokémon to enter this space. It doesn’t fit with how they’ve run the TCG at all.

I would hate for serialized cards to make its way to Pokemon. We have so much - too much - demand already for ultramodern product. We don’t need artificial scarcity to spike that further.

1 Like

This would be so cool actually, a great nod to the videogames and I’ve always liked shiny pokemon conceptually. Like said in that thread too, might be better as 1:8192 cards but still. And probably just make a set have a few shiny pokemon, like 5 or so rather than a variant for every single pokemon in the set. But I’d love this.

Not a fan of serialisation at all though, bit too artificial scarcity for me and just serves to get cards with insane prices. I’m not into MTG at all, I wonder what serialised cards like that go for, that only have 300 copies, or even 1.

2 Likes

No

20 Likes

I couldn’t care less what happens to modern but I would really not like it if they started to blend in one percenter items into the “deluxe retro” products, which feels like a more likely scenario. If they keep them isolated like the creatures deck then I don’t really mind.

Serialized cards are only needed when you want to create artificial scarcity to drive collector interest and sales. Unlike MTG, Pokemon has no problem with either so creating serialized cards would be pointless.

8 Likes

Serialized anything kinda sucks like 98% of the time imo

I’d imagine it sucks for 99.999% of people, or whoever doesn’t already have the serialized card!

I don’t think Pokemon needs it, but it would be crazy to see and also nice collection pieces for those who were able to get a serialized card… as stated though it seems to be used as a crutch almost to generate hype for certain tcgs etc… how would you followup a serialized set without losing interest?

Even for people with the serialized card; I feel like it could make it difficult for the card itself to be appreciated because people get so enamored with potential gainz

1 Like

I hope not. It feels like a short term cash grab. I’d rather Pokémon keep doing what they have been doing for the last 25+ years, make interesting card arts.

If serialized cards make non-serialized but otherwise equal cards cost less, I’m all for it.

Even something like serialized cars (jdm specifically) puts a bad taste in my mouth.

At first I liked this post but then realised these are basically a form of serialised card. Not by having a specific number of cards, but by the effect it would have on prices. Imagine a shiny moonbreon.

Pokemon doesn’t need to consider serialised cards, therefore it shouldn’t.

What I’d love to see is “true” secret rares. Anything above the set list isn’t known prior to release. That way the whole communicate engages in discovering the secret rares within the first days/weeks of any new set coming out. Now that would be fun!

Yes it is effectively a serialized card which is why I bring it up in this thread.

I’m not against serialized cards in general. I would say the primary issue is how inorganic they feel. I feel like the shiny gimmick I described is a very organic way of inserting intentional rarity for pokemon. It’s one of the most loved features in the video game

3 Likes