Should I Convert from Toploader to Cardsaver?

Hey all,

I don’t plan on selling any of my collection so I keep all of my holos/promos/etc. in Toploaders instead of sending to PSA. Everyone that I watch on YouTube seems to use Cardsavers for cards like this. Should I convert? Is there a reason why cardsavers are so much more popular?

Thanks,

Drink Milk

I wouldn’t leave cards in cardsavers long term, if the card savers are imperfect the card can often take the shape of the cardsaver over a long period. toploaders for long term storage would be ideal

1 Like

Years ago I converted ALL my top loaders into cardsaver 1s. Back then, nobody else was doing it but that has changed.
The cards remain as they were or better…by eliminating curves.
They are adequately protected.
They don’t move in the cardsaver nor can they come out. This is why PSA requires them and do t allow toploader submissions. You don’t even need a team bag on them.
They take up way less space.
They are much cheaper.
Viewing cards through them is much clearer.

3 Likes

I am just have some doubts regarding how to proceed properly.

You put the card in a penny sleeve and then in the cardsaver? And you chose a penny sleeve instead of a pro fit because this last one can damage the card? Is that right?

And, in which direction do you introduce the card? Having the open size to the top? If that is the case, could not dust get inside the penny sleeve?

Thanks!

Yes.

I store anything raw in my collection, or the maybe I’ll grade in over the next 10 years pile into card saver 1s!

I would suggest going ahead with it @mrmilk , :blush:

1 Like

I just wanted to add:If you’re afraid of Card Saver 1s potentially bending or warping your cards, you could always spend alittle extra cash and buy KMC W-Version clear sleeves. They aren’t thin like penny sleeves and help support the card. They also make it easier to get the card inside a Card Saver without risking damage.

2 Likes

I use simple loose penny sleeves, open area to the top, and not forced down to the bottom.

I use the same method above ^. Works great. I recommend.

I switched not too long ago because I like the viewing experience better. There’s something about cardsavers that just bring out the colors in the cards more.

You guys are sooooo smart lol.

Do CardSavers scratch as bad as toploaders?

No. Not even close.

Looks like I’m converting then. Thanks.

1 Like

Just do a few dozen and see if you prefer them.

1 Like

Thanks for the answer! It has been clarifying! =)

Another but unmentioned benefit of Card Savers (or even Ultra Pro semi-rigid); you can fit more of them in a box! So you need less storage space.

What kind of box do they fit well in?

They fit perfectly in the PSA return boxes. They are a bit to tall for Pokemon Elite Trainer boxes (they peek over the edge for 0,5cm), but because you can fit 2 card savers in the same space as a toploader (toploaders are obviously bigger) you can store more in the same box. And if you use those little post-it page markers to have a grip on them, you can write on them what card (e.g. Base 4/102) to make it easier where your card it.

Actually I did mention that;)