Shill Bidding?

So, I bid on an item and won. Had I not bid on this item, the next person that would have won the item is a person with 0 feedback. Their bid was 350$ higher than the next highest persons bid. Ah, shill bidding. I guess in the end it is my fault for having ebay bid up to a certain value for me. I just cannot help but think that had this shill bidder not placed a bid I could have saved some moolah. Has this happened to anyone else?

That is the only way one could bid though, no?

I’ve had it happen a few times that I’ve noticed. I’ve likely had it happen a lot of times that I didn’t notice too.

1 Like

This is mostly a problem with niche cards that have little to no sales history. Gotta be extra careful because even if you lose to the shiller you can screw yourself if the next sellers sees that auction price.

1 Like

0 feedback doesn’t necessarily mean shill bidder, in the past few months ive sold a lot of my high end $2K+ items to 0 feedback buyers, youve gotta take the whole situation into consideration

1 Like

Where’s the link?

No way to know if its a shill bidder unless theres a trend of the same bidder doing it multiple times but ya its annoying

Were you content with the price you bid for the item when you placed the bid? (Presumably, if the bid was voluntary, you were content, by definition.)

If so, I respectfully suggest, lamenting or speculating about how you “could’ve” gotten an even better deal is fruitless–even if that next-lowest bid was a shill bid. (Whether it was a shill bid, in my view, is irrelevant.)

This is not to say you shouldn’t critically examine the price you’ were or are willing to pay for cards. For instance, you may have been happy to place that bid, but it might not have been reasonable to do so (e.g., the bid might have been unreasonably high).

You’d expect to see people defending shill bidders on redit or Facebook but it’s unprecidented here on E4. Best you spread that nonsense elsewhere because we get many newbies coming here for proper advice and if they read such garbage it reflects on all of us.

2 Likes

I would not defend shill bidders (how did I do so?) and strongly recommend against shill bidding.

www.ebay.com/itm/2000-Pokemon-Japanese-Neo-3-600-Point-Fan-Club-Promo-Shining-Magikarp-129-PSA-9/142751949039?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

This bidder with 0 feedback on this auction and the most recently sold Eevee Fan Club. I guess it could be a niche collector who is new to ebay.

only 16% bid activity with that seller

Bid activity doesn’t mean much, you can throw bids on 99cent stuff to fudge numbers.

Its a good indicator, the bids placed by that user on other items are ranging from 16 hours to over 6 days ago and on 13 different sellers, pretty elaborate considering in your opinion ‘bid activity doesn’t mean much’

1 Like

They were the next highest bidder on the Magikarp and the Eevee by 25$. It just strikes me as strange.

He’s got another presumably shill bid on the other fan club karp up for auction as well.

Are the prices these karps are ending at unusual?, why are we assuming he’s shill bidding, to me its quite clear that he’s just in the market for fan club cards

1 Like

He isn’t defending shill bidders… he’s basically saying only place bids that you are comfortable with and are happy to pay at that price. Calm down.

2 Likes

Precisely. Thank you!

I learned how to read before your mom was in diapers so I fully understood what he meant. If your too stupid to get the point then it’s best you mind your own business.

I don’t think anybody here on e4 minds paying what they bid as long as that price isn’t artificially inflated by illegal shill bidders. If you like to get illegally shill bid up to your max then you’re a special kind of goofball. Either that or you and your girlfriend admiral are shill bidders who have no concern over who gets screwed.

1 Like