Shill Bidding

I don’t even worry about it. If people don’t pay you get a final fee credit. So next time you list it and it sells for the same price you have no fees.

Ebay automatically deducts the fees as soon as the item sells. Once the unpaid item case is closed and you win the case ebay credits you with the final fee credit. If you relist the item and it sells again ebay will deduct the fees again. Ebay won’t waive the fees for something like that lol

He is saying eBay gives you a credit so you can sell the same amount again with no charge, it will use up your credit being the no fees. Kind of a round about way of saying it.

Trying to be top bidder is counterproductive. It gives your competition a chance to talk themselves into the higher price. It is good for the seller though.

3 Likes

Ebay just refunds you the fees that you would have had to pay, had the buyer gone through with transaction. You can’t really “use” the credit.

Say you owe $10 for fees for selling an item and the buyer doesn’t pay. Ebay just eliminates the $10 you owe in the form of credit. You don’t gain anything at all. Ebay will charge you 10% for fees again if you sell the relisted item.

2 Likes

If you stopped selling and you got a refund you would be able to use it towards your new selling fees :blush: I forgot it just went against my bill. I just remembered getting the message I would be getting a credit. But the outcome is the same. No one was saying to could list something for “free”. It was the fee you already paid would cancel out the new fee when you resell the item, which is correct, though that is not the way it would actually be.

Since it would be charge a fee, refund credit for fee, then charge a fee again. In the end you would have sold the item twice with one cancel and only be out eBay fees once.

The point being lost is, that someone not paying or cancelling a transaction gets the seller their fees back. There is no cost, minus a lost sale for the seller.

1 Like

Yes, you wrote that earlier.
Give us a link to the listing your talking about…

0 feedback doesn’t automatically make them a shill bidder, i’ve had plenty of 0 feedback users bid and win my auctions and pay, everyone starts at 0 lol

1 Like

but both accounts were created today?

Little bit odd, but its not proof of shill bidding, unless you have someone with a vendetta against you i wouldn’t worry too much

I’d be really depressed if during first day on ebay all my bids were cancelled like this, everybody has to start from somewhere right? If the winner doesn’t pay you can anyways use second chance offers for other bidders. :blush:

3 Likes

@dreamgirl1959 Shill bidding is typically done by the seller through a separate account. I wouldn’t treat a new bidder as a shill. If they do not pay they would simply be a non-paying buyer. But give the low feedback people a chance. More often than not they are fine and pay.

1 Like

just noticed there is this option! haha I’m such an idiot

1 Like

ok thanks

@dreamgirl1959

Good to hear things are solved out!

Based on the first username, that person is a Warriors/Kevin Durant fan. Maybe they’re new to the eBay bandwagon too lol.

Seriously though, I wouldn’t worry about it. Accounts with low feedback aren’t always eBay trolls. We all start at 0, might as well give some of these guys a chance. Besides, there’s no guarantee they’re going to win the auction (unless they enter some ridiculously high bid). If they don’t pay, go with a second chance offer or relist and block their accounts.

2 Likes

I had one dickhead create 4 different accounts, he keeps bidding on gym heroes misty on my page… He would win the card, then not pay. He stopped now as I reported his name to ebay. But I think some dickhead try to bid up the price on one card so when they sell their copy they can list it higher…

Only happened once to me… It’s sad…
The guys name was Joseph something from memory… I can find out if you want.

I feel pity towards people who shill bid. Yes the ‘victims’ end up shelling out more money than they otherwise would have but they will always get more in the future and can learn not to buy from that seller again hopefully, but the person doing it has a much more serious problem if they think that it’s an acceptable thing to do. It says a lot about them as a person, and when confronted on it a lot of the time you can see that these people genuinely don’t even think what they’re doing is wrong at all. They aren’t even decent or ashamed enough to lie, and instead attempt to justify it. I pity them because it shows how much they value money and selfishness more than honesty, integrity and how they treat other people - things that must extend well beyond selling Pokemon cards into the rest of their lives and surely that is not a very happy existence.

5 Likes

Assuming a legitimate buyer wins an auction, it’s hard to state what’s wrong with shill bidding on that auction, I believe. Any takers? (Note: I am not saying there is nothing wrong with shill bidding)