SGC 10 with clear damage on the card. Curious what you all think happened when it was graded

I recently heard about this pwcc auction of an SGC 10 Italian base set charizard. The card has very clear damage to it, mainly seen on the back. In these scenarios, what do you think happened at the grading facility?

If you obtained the slab and you tell the grading company about the slab, what would the grading company normally do in response? I’ve heard of PSA offering grade verification, re-grading the card, and then offering the difference in declared value. What do other large grading companies do in these scenarios? Do you have any personal experience with these scenarios you can share?

Auction ended on 4/16 for $2,250 and it has yet to be paid for. I’m guessing the buyer has their doubts in purchasing it, which I think is totally fair given the condition of the card.

The link to the pwcc auction for anyone that wants to look at the slab: https://sales-history.pwccmarketplace.com/items/WEEKLY3739250

Edit:
I just want to add that I am not the winning bidder on this card. I just heard about this auction today, and I do not know who the seller or the buyer is.

What prompted me to make this post was to learn more about mistakes grading companies have made and how they go about resolving them. I’m guessing a lot of mistakes come down to human error, given I’ve seen cards in slabs backwards or upside-down, etc…

1 Like

Regardless of how it is handled the buyer should pay. You should do your research ect. BEFORE bidding anywere.

The card looks like a mistake for sure but if the buyer doesnt pay they diserve to be banned from pwcc.

9 Likes

I have such mixed feelings about this. On one side, you have the listing, it points out it is a pop 1, grade 10. No additional notes (as far as I can tell). On the other side, there are clear scans of the card provided and it’s not a cheap card by any means, so it’s in the buyers interest to carefully check what they are purchasing.

In the end, I agree with you, the buyer has full transparency when bidding/purchasing. It just sort of leaves a bad impression on me

Edit: If I were the owner of the slab, I would feel so guilty trying to sell it as is. I can’t without a clear conscience keep the card within that slab and try to sell it.

Every grading company makes mistakes once in a while. It is on the buyer to pay what they’ve committed to. If they have a problem with the grade, they should be contacting the grading company after purchasing the card.

Here was my experience with PSA’s Authenticity Guarantee. It worked out great and as advertised.

3 Likes

One advantage of PWCC it’s send problematic cards to auction.
You can avoid all the possible hassle.
If you get psa 10 on cards that you know are not worth it, I don’t think you don’t want get rid of it because you feel guilty.

What damage are we talking about here? Are you sure it’s not the lighting if you are referring to the right border towards the bottom.

1 Like

It could be lighting, I’m unsure. But here’s a better photo

But, it looks like quite a bit of edge wear regardless

1 Like

I’m unsure too. Lighting can play all sorts of tricks good and bad.

1 Like

The photo is directly from the pwcc scan. I don’t personally use a scanner so I have no experience or knowledge about how the lighting works on the scans either

1 Like

Just from a buying perspective I’ve had things look better and worse than the pics showed so not sure we will know unless someone from here buys it or the info gets back to here.

1 Like

Personally, the moment I see ANY grading company other than PSA/BGS/CGC (and im always careful with the latter two), I immediately disregard whatever grade it has. I have 0 faith it is at all accurate to the typical PSA scale we are used to.

Agreed. I bought a handful of Yugioh slabs graded by OnlyGraded (not sure where they’re based) for really cheap as total gambles. A couple did payoff and I was able to pick up some $50 cards for under $10, but the rest were inflated by 2-3 grades each imo.

Nothing. The card got graded. That’s it. It’s not an exact and perfect process. Someone just looks at a card for a few seconds and assigns a number. These companies have graded many millions of cards over the years so even if the defect rate is 0.001% that’s still a lot of individual cards out on the market. I’ve seen plenty of PSA 10s that look much worse than the card in question here.

I love SGC (I grade all my vintage sports and non-tcg with them and they are excellent) but they are not good with Pokemon grading yet, and that’s the honest truth. They will improve in time but for Pokemon it’s really just a PSA and CGC world.

2 Likes

The idea that a professional grading service can “not be good with it yet” is hilarious to me. Imagining a conference room full of SGC department heads being like “my friend Dave says that there are four areas to look for: centering, corners, edges and surface. You see this white stuff here? Dave says that should be a ding to the “edges” category!”

3 Likes

Yep it’s funny to me too. I’m just positive they had graded less than 1000 Pokemon cards total before 2020 lol Three of the highest value cards in the world are currently in SGC holders and I like I said they are excellent for vintage but Pokemon…yeah they don’t have the same standards as PSA and cgc lol

1 Like

Yeah no knock on you, and I do like their foam slabs fwiw!

1 Like

I cant remember where but saw on another forum the back was a different card, ill have to seen if i can find it.