Seeking additional info on late-WotC League Licenses

The original Pokémon League was hosted by Toys R Us in the United States, giving it a specific structure with widespread distribution of the various materials associated with it. But Toys R Us ended its partnership with Pokémon at the tail end of Generation II and Leagues shifted more to independent stores and gaming stores — the “mom and pops.”

This came with a major simplification of League materials. No more badge books, no more trainer challenge cards, no more collectible stickers, instead everyone got a “license” which also doubled as a name tag for attendees. They were inexpensive double sided passes with a streamlined point system which also engendered a redistribution of many WotC promos, including promos that were not originally distributed through the Pokémon League.

Links to each of the licenses are linked below. The first image is the front of the licenses, followed by the reverse face of the same ones, after which only the reverse face is shown for each license. Pardon the quick shots rather than proper scans.

abload.de/img/6233dc2f-019f-452a-bh0jvq.jpeg
abload.de/img/07a4131d-ed0c-4405-8tajri.jpeg
abload.de/img/78b55fbb-46c6-4f19-9qnkzm.jpeg
abload.de/img/b5cf54c7-4ff3-4938-9qijrw.jpeg
abload.de/img/8b942eec-2dbf-4da8-9b2knq.jpeg

The promos redistributed in this time period are:

Fighting Season
Electabuzz #2
Machamp #43

Fire Season
Psyduck #20
Magmar #44

Grass Season
Eevee #11
Scyther #45

Lightning Season
Pikachu #4
Electabuzz #46

Psychic Season
Dragonite #5
Mew #47

Water Season
Pichu #35
Articuno #48

Colorless Season
Mewtwo #3
Snorlax #49

Rainbow Season
Jigglypuff #7
Pokémon Tower #42

Each season contained one redistribution and one new distribution. The licenses are double sided and the inside contains an identical chart that just lists “Promo 2” instead of “Promo 1”, presumably for players to earn duplicates.

The four of the first movie promos — Electabuzz, Mewtwo, Pikachu, and Dragonite — are all listed. It stands to reason that these were redistributed sealed with the blinder variant advertising the Pokémon League, since we know these exist. The second Electabuzz is misspelled as “Electrabuzz” — embarrassing.

Jigglypuff is the League distribution of the CD promotion and was sent to shops in either packages of 25 or bricks of 75. This is just a tidbit from my own research I thought I’d mention.

In my web combing I came across this Reddit post which displays a few of the used licenses alongside a WotC memo from May 2002: www.reddit.com/r/PokemonTCG/comments/etv536/recently_got_back_into_ptcg_and_unearthed_my/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

This is basically everything I’ve got on these, but I am interested in anything else anyone knows.

-Does anyone have, or know where to find, these WotC updates like the one seen in the Reddit post? I would like to read them.

-There are four light yellow rounded corners on the front of each license beneath the trainer name, suggesting some sort of sticker or label was affixed here. Does anyone know what was supposed to go here?

-If you attended or helped run Pokémon Leagues at this time, where was it hosted and what was it like? Was there more paperwork other than just these or was it entirely consolidated to just these licenses?

Thank you to anyone with any additional insight. I am in the final stretch of decoding these and am just filling in the few remaining gaps.

Unfortunately have no answers to this question. But, do have something to mention, which may also give this thread a little bump as it’s not worth starting a new one. Sorry if this is bad etiquette.

There is also the 8th license which is the Rainbow season license. The promos in that piece of card are Jigglypuff and Pokémon Tower. Although, on the front only jigglypuff’s artwork is present, all other cards have both Pokémon art present. Guess they didn’t know what to do with a trainer card. Inside, they still didn’t know what to do, and for the stamped part to get Pokémon Tower, the artwork was just the back of a Pokémon card.

Guess they did 8 to match the standard number of gyms.

1 Like

Never realized I omitted that one by mistake. I even mentioned Jigglypuff in the OP but forgot to list it out.

1 Like

@wotc Please let us know more thx

In all seriousness, these are really cool. Honestly your post is the most information I’ve read. There are some EX WOTC current Nintendo employee’s who may have information. Ultimately its going to be a longshot.

@Alec Do you remember these at all? Just trying to think of other og collectors who may have overlap from that era.

2 Likes

Old League stuff is under-documented but also deceptively finite. There’s definitely innumerable paper missives, signage, activity sheets, and posters that are lost but as far as the actual structure and format of League activity there is kind of a set number of “canonical” materials (for lack of a better word). The badge books, the sticker charts, the licenses, etc. I really think I’ve tracked down and preserved most of it. Anything I am missing is theoretical.

Something I had to accept early on is that most people’s memories are hazy and partial — just like my own. The minutia is all missing. Everyone I’ve talked to is pretty sure of something, or has a hunch about something, but they can never remember for sure. For stuff like these licenses, all I can say for certain is that they exist. Nobody seems to remember much else, but hard documentation may not exist.

As far as spotty memories from 20 years ago, I was so excited when I recently found a print out of Pokémon League locations throughout Massachusetts, where I grew up. But my hometown and home store wasn’t on it. I am so sure of where I went. It was a KB Toys in a shopping plaza, I could walk to it. But it’s not on the surviving paperwork, and there were a lot of locations on that paperwork. I think of that whenever I wonder if I’ve figured it all out. Some stuff is just memories now. There are not always answers in memories.

2 Likes

My memory as a participant is spotty on these like @stagecoach was saying lol, but I know people who were organizing at that time who may have less spotty memory than me, so I’ll report back.

3 Likes

I feel most people have some sort of similar memory, which makes it so hard to pin down details.

I have most of the league promos in my childhood collection which was untouched for a long time, but I am completely certain I never went to a league event. No stickers or badge books, but I do have memories of being given sealed individual cards in toy stores and such, which would have been how I got them I’m guessing. You’ll be hard pressed to find league paraphernalia in the UK unless originally purchased from the states by collectors and resold.

I can imagine your memory may be real, because of what I imagine it was like back then. These things were flowing round in stacks upon stacks, and were a good draw for customers during the big Pokémon craze peak. I imagine retailers were still getting to grips with league, but wouldn’t be surprised if there were loads of league events that weren’t registered officially, but still ran the same as they would if they were. (Maybe why it was missing from your map).

This is the video that WOTC produced to train retail staff about league. Would have been sent out to retail locations. I’m wondering if anyone has this VHS, that would be an awesome thing to own. But, it’s for the very start of league and does not even mention promo distribution. I’m wondering if anyone knows if they made more of these later on? I’m guessing this was probably all that was made, and then they just went forward with the internal memo / poke news sheets as things evolved and developed.

Would be cool to know.

1 Like

I think I’ve got some additional info that might help piece some things together here. It seems things were really condensed to just the licenses, and badge books were done away with altogether. After searching, I’ve seen what a new season “pack” would have looked like. It pretty much answers most / a lot of the questions Stagecoach originally had. The “pack” would have been given to official league retailers I’m assuming.

Pack includes:
Typical internal memo that describes the process for the upcoming season and tournaments. Plus a feedback form for the retailer to send back to the Pokémon league for research purposes I’m guessing. With an addressed envelope.

An information sheet for the players. (This is where all the good info is coming from). Talks about how promo cards were earned, how the stamps and logging works, how many you can earn, that they include both new and old black star promo cards. Absolutely read for yourselves, no point me recapping, but my one big takeaway is the mention of “keep your trainers license stamp card in the card/ID pocket that you received”. Would love to know what this “pocket” is and if anyone has pictures.

Three stacks of cards. In the welcome sheet they categorise cards as the ‘classic cards’ and ‘new promo cards’. Think we can assume the classic cards are the ones that were originally given out at the movie premieres, soundtrack etc. And the new ones are what we now consider the league exclusive promo cards. The cards are in stacks of 40 (not sure if this varies between retail locations) Because this is the rainbow season, the rewards are jigglypuff (the ‘Classic’ card), Pokémon tower (the new promo card) and holo rainbow energy (no rocket symbol because it’s the league hand out) cards.

A poster to display at your retail location with an option to input the dates for the league times.

The master membership book. This is where the league organiser would be able to input the members details and progress. I would LOVE to see the inside of this book if anyone knows.

And finally a stack of licenses for the corresponding season, in this case rainbow. I don’t think there was any significance to the yellow outlined box on these cards, because nothing is mentioned, and the welcome letters give pretty good info about how they will be stamped/used. If I were to hazard a guess, I think it should be print name on the black line, and the yellow box is to put a signature, kinda like a credit card. Because kids loved acting like grown ups and doing signatures, so that’s my best guess.

Honestly I think this is as good as information we can possibly get until we hear some first hand stories, but that will take time for people to dig their memory banks. Hopefully this may jog some memories. It’s a pretty “whole” collection and would seem to be exactly what you (as a retailer registered to host league) would have been given at the start of a season to fully run it with no issues. All is explained in the paperwork, and you have all the other things to give the kids/yourself.

Now, this lovely collection is up for sale, which is how I found it. I’m more interested in the story and narrative of how promos were gained than actual league. I never went to league but have all the promos from childhood somehow, so would not have a budget for this. The WOTC black star promos are my favourite set, and about half of them are intertwined with league which is where I intersect heavily into Pokémon league info. If anyone does go for this, I’d be interested in one “welcome trainer” sheet as a finders fee :wink: haha. But seriously, if anyone does open them I’d happily purchase one from them to add to my WOTC Black Star Promo Narrative and Story collection. (Which I may post at some point ).

Anyways, really hope this opens up some more stories and dialogues, because I really am passionate about the promo card origins and history.

4 Likes

where have you been my whole life

2 Likes

That’s listing is tempting af!

1 Like

You should be tempted to buy it - for me, though.

tysm scott

2 Likes

Think you could search your whole life and never find all 8 exactly as they were distributed to retailers hosting league, but seems these things do just pop up out of nowhere every now and again to keep the magic alive. Just like the Kanzenban, these things have a way of finding me at the exact time I start looking haha.

It is really nice to see it like this though. Makes me wonder what happened to this store, that they never ran the rainbow season way back when. It sure does help piece together how things worked for the post badge book era.

Oh oh I trashed all that paperwork and those “licenses”. Simply took up to much space to keep everyting.

But I don’t like it people suggest these were only given out in the USA.
They were in Europe for sure, leagues got them, like my league did.
However WotC also did send stacks of promocards to stores (not running a league at all) as promotion. So when you bought something Pokemon you would get a promocard.

2 Likes

Thanks, that does help me piece together better why I have all the promos in my childhood binder, having no recollection of attending league but just picking them up at stores.

Have you got anymore anecdotes or bits of info from that era that you can remember?

Sad about the paperwork, not even from a collection standpoint. Would be lovely to have scanned copies for open access and documentation purposes.

those promocards mentioned above were part of the “energize your game” period.
I found some old info here with the licenses.

Virginia Pokémon - Energize Your Game (google.com)

1 Like

Thank you for that link. It seems the “pocket” mentioned in the welcome letter from that league pack was some type of “plastic pouch with a chain”.

Reminds me of how the JR stamp rally meowth came packaged, albeit that was smaller in size and not for the neck, but I am imagining something similar.