Sealed Ancient Mew Bulk Buy!

Hey Peoples,

So i have been made an offer to buy 900 sealed ancient mew cards for around £2.15 each.

Only issue is, the inserts in the cards are in Spanish.

Obviously the cards inside are the same as all common ancient mews…

Does anyone have any insight in to how easy these cards are to get graded at 9/10s?

Would submit 50 at first to see results but does anyone think reselling would be affected by them having the spanish inserts if kept sealed?

I know at that price you cant go wrong as even opened mews in NM/M are around £6-8.

Anyones views or input is all welcomed so let me know what you all think!

Thanks, Josh

They’re in Spanish, enough said… not much demand :slightly_frowning_face:

But surely the potential to grade with them costing as little as £2.15 each makes them worth a go?
I dont know much about grading but to submit 50 at £9 each would mean a potential grade 9 would owe me £11.15p?

Plus any 10s is a bonus?

Please let me know what you think or of im just being a fool!

Cheers!

there’s probably better use for your money.

PSA won’t grade it if they realize it’s Spanish unless the Spanish is identical to the English or Japanese. I would also be upset buying a graded copy only to find out later it is Spanish.

Also that’s a crazy amount of money to spend ancient mews. Over $2k USD plus you’re digging the hole deeper by grading them. Do you realize how much effort it will take to even break even?

But if you want it, go for it. I’m just skeptical it’s worth the time or cost

1 Like

The Spanish card looks the exact same as the English as far as I’m aware. It only looks different if it is kept in its original packaging since the card insert is in a different language.
Mjisaacs

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure it’s just the insert that is Spanish. The card itself should be identical to English in every way.

1 Like

Off-topic, but I was unaware there were any sealed Spanish promos from the WotC era. I’ve heard from three different sources the Spanish Moltres/Articuno/Zapdos WotC Promos of the second Pokémon Movie were only handed out non-sealed in the cinemas. Were these Ancient Mews handed out differently in Spain (like part of a DVD or something)? Because the Ancient Mews were also part of the 2nd Movie handouts in most cinemas i.I.r.c. Bit weird that those are available sealed in Spain, but the legendary birds not…
EDIT: Cancel everything above. Two comments below this one it is stated they turned out to be Italian instead of Spanish.

On-topic: The Ancient Mews themselves are the same as the English ones, so grading shouldn’t be a problem at all. There are only four different Ancient Mew versions, three from Japan, one from the US/Australia/Europe (the one you have).

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

I wasn’t sure if the copyright date was in Spanish or something. It’s definitely more of an interesting prospect then.

I think you just need to crunch the numbers on this. Assume they all get 9s. How many would you need to sell to break even? What if they get all 8s or 10s? Keep in mind that if you saturate the market with hundreds of these cards the value probably won’t hold and over time you’ll be competing with yourself.

Also keep in mind how long it will take to sell enough cards to break even. It could take years to move a bunch of copies of the same card.

If you’ve done the math and things look positive then go for it.

Also, for the future you should be cautious when revealing that you are going to flood the market with a particular card haha. When it comes to this card though the market is super saturated already so it probably doesn’t matter.

3 Likes

Before I say anymore the guy told me they were Spanish. Did a translate of the card and turns out they are Italian! So jokes on me!

He’s managed to do a deal, Im having 100 to inspect and check over. Ideally be great to do a submission to see what they get.

Can anyone say they have used Ludkins Collectables? Swaying towards using them.

Thanks!

1 Like

You’re essentually at $10 per card graded in bulk and paid price. 9s sell for about $20, 10s for around $40. Take out ebay fees and your profit margine for 9s is about $7, 10s is about $34.50 without an ebay store. 8s are a losing effort and are basically going to be a loss leader for you.

The pop report shows about 2k ancient mews in psa 8-10, about 10% were 8, about 51% were 9, and the other 39% 10s.
Using those numbers you end up with 351 10s, 459 9s, and 90 8s. You’re at $15,322.50 profit.

The issue is how long it’ll take to sell all of them. The numbers are probably going to go down as you start selling due to a high supply, so you’re main goal is to get your inital investment back asap. $2,700 isn’t easy to make up when you’re likely to sell less than one per month.

If you were able to sell a single PSA 10 for $40 every month you’re looking at 6 and a half years to make your initial $2,700 investment back. This is if you do it properly, and don’t oversaturate the population. If you just shove them out the door asap to try and make your money back, you’ll have the issue of dropping the price down significantly cutting your profits I’d estimate by nearly 2/3 making it only a $5k profit and still taking multiple years to sell off.

Essentually, you’re seeing why I don’t sell a lot of low end product.

7 Likes

That price seems a little high. T&T buy these for $2.29. Paying $3 or so for such a large quantity is a lot of risk. While I’m sure you can make some profit, it’s going to take so much time and effort.

I would personally not grade them or pay much more than $1 tbh. You will have so many that the 9s will probably earn you $15(break even) and the 10s $20-30(tiny profit) and there’s just not hundreds of buyers lined up for that card.

They’re sealed, you should just liquidate them as is but at $3 it just doesn’t make sense.

I’ll buy a 10 off you once you pull the trigger :wink: first sell is in the pockett

agreed with above. It also depends on how much you enjoy having the ancient mews. Even if you get the price down to 1 or 1.5 pounds, you’re going to have 900 ancient mews. Personally, I would reach a point where I’m like “what am I going to do with all of these, and why did I do this in the first place?”. And if you do get to that point, selling the Spanish sealed packs will be difficult if you wanted to liquidate

Since the hobby continues to grow, there are a lot of people trying to offload massive product like this scenario. In fact I had an individual offer me around 500 english ancient mews.

Majority of these “deals” are suicide by self saturation. There is a reason they want to sell all 900.

3 Likes

I had some guy locally that had 5000+ ancient mews and sold it to some guy (I didn’t want it) so I know someone who owns 5000 copies just by himself somewhere ha

This card was likely printed in the millions. I’ve seen the ~1,000 card boxes trade hands several times and know of several owners of entire boxes. There is definitely a market for them and some money to be made if you handle them right but from what I’ve seen if profit is the sole goal then there is usually better places to deploy the capital.

OP, I think you should stick to the 100 you are getting. That’s an amount you can probably offload within a year or two. 900 is just crazy… if it was such an easy flip, your source would just sell them on their own. They probably value the card at around $5-6, but they know the amount of work it takes so they just want to liquidate. As I said in my previous post, $3 is actually pretty high.

Let us know how you do if you go the grading route.

I don’t know what your distribution channels in place are, but the deal isn’t objectively terrible. That’s one of the better price per units I’ve seen a large lot of these at.

The market on these is really deep. I agree with the other comments about the supply being one of the thickest for any card ever, but so is the demand. That said, it’s one of the most competitive markets. You’re going to struggle to get visibility via ebay’s algorithm without undercutting because so many mega sellers often have these up in mass quantities. Without that existing edge, undercutting will force you to take an abysmal ROI for your time.

Regarding PSA and Ancient Mews, I’ve graded 200 of them and have to warn you: PSA is aggressive with these cards. I don’t want to say they literally just make shit up, but with three different subs of 100, 50, and 50 ancient mews over the last two years, I have been entirely unable to find consistency in how they grade the cards. When I had 30% nonsense grades on the 100 order, I cracked and resubmitted the 30 out of genuine curiosity and received a similar spread in grades to my first 100 sub. So my 30 6-8 grades came back mixed between 7-10. Laughably inconsistent. Can you afford to eat that loss? Does your distribution network accommodate the bad grades?

Here’s my best advice that I give literally everyone in situations like this:

The question isn’t whether something is a good investment. It’s whether it is the BEST investment.

That’s trademarked, so put a quote -Charlie Hurlocker on it when you get it tattooed to your inner arm.

Even if this looks like a good investment, carefully consider what you’re relatively making and the intangible benefits. Maybe you desperately need traffic-driving inventory. Maybe you LOVE ancient mew and you’ve been looking to make a collection of 200 PSA 8s. I don’t know the specifics of your situation, but sitting down and doing the real work of a classic pros and cons list with a personal calculator is an absolute must for a purchase like this.

Best of luck to you!

8 Likes

Firstly, Thanks to everyone on there input!

Has made me look at the deal in a different light. Since posting on here it turns out the seller has far more than 900 sealed mews. Which has put me off the offer. Not because of the saturation the market could see from the cards he could sell but the fact he wasnt honest with me from the start. Chopped prices around that to me made no sense. Saying that was all the stock they had.

So yeah glad i stuck to the 100. I dont think i will have them graded. Just turn them around for a quick sale & look to place my money elsewhere.

But again Cheers to everyone whos commented and given this a read. Opened my eyes a lot!

1 Like